PDA

View Full Version : 4" inch Speaker Box

Disco_owner
26th January 2008, 08:43 AM
A while ago I took out the crappy 4" inch L/R speakers and replaced them with a set of Boston speakers in the back panel of cargo area ,now whilst They do sound okay for a pair of 4"inch speakers I wasn't really happy with overall sound, Some of you may have already thought about putting an extra pair of 4"inch speakers on the back panel or even the back-door ,what about a 2-way speaker box on the backpanel mounted up hight facing the driver ? well it is possible and I have thought about it , however without a Sub-woofer somewhere inside the Cabin I'm not really gonna get the Base mixed with treble that I'm really after , but this is also forthcoming , as Part 1 of this Project I'd like to show you how I built my 4"inch speaker boxes and if anybody would like me to post up the Total Project from Beginning to end , I'm happy to write up a Tutorial for this as well . but before I do that, I need your opinions on what you think of the speaker boxes mounted up high and Protruding outwards .

Are They Ugly?
Unpractical?
Waste of Time?
Could do with a set of 2-way or 3-way in the back panel?
not gonna get the sound I'm really after ?

ok so now there are 6 x 4 inch" speakers , no AMP and no Sub , Just for now as an experiment I have mounted them up to demonstrate the sound , the MDF box will be covered with the same carpet so it will tied in with the reset of the back panel and finish it off quite nicely.

any feedback appreciated...

dirtdawg
26th January 2008, 11:27 AM
for a decent system i would go 5 inch splits in the front and modifiy the rear to fit 5 or 6 inch 2 ways with a 10 or 12 inch sub up the back, i have all this gear in my spare room just need to get around to fitting it

Disco_owner
26th January 2008, 11:45 AM
or even just 5 or 6 " inch 2 ways on the rear would sound descent , I'm currently working on that one, may be 2 x 6" inch under the seats . 1 x 10-12 "inch Sub , with 4-channel amp. I only mounted them up ( the extra 2 x 4"inch pioneer yellow speakers ) just to see what they sound like :(

dirtdawg
26th January 2008, 01:31 PM
i'll start fitting up my stereo soon only prob is where i am going to put the amps i have 2 2channel's and a monoblock, might have to see if they will fit under the back seat

Disco_owner
26th January 2008, 01:43 PM
I've thought about the place for Amp as well , There is absolutely no-where to install it..there is going to be speakers under the front seats ...and rear seats have the shelf unit under it , wedge-shaped , I thought of building a box cover it with carpet and have it sitting on the floor of the rear right in the middle , just behind the centre console, mmmm, I'm still in process of figuring that one out. :(

cockie55
26th January 2008, 06:39 PM
Disco_owner I hope you don’t mind me saying it:D:D .....but they look awful and wouldn’t last long if you treat your load area like mine.:eek:

But then again you are trying to solve the biggest problem with car audio being speaker distortion. However those puppies won’t cut the mustard at that size if your serious about your audio…but .....you can’t fill your space up with big heavy speaker boxes to eliminate that distortion coming from even relatively low powered amplifiers.

My specs for an audio upgrade was marine rated speakers to withstand the tough environment. I was happy with stock locations as I did not want intrusion into load or passenger space plus the stock solid aluminum speaker mounts and speaker wiring of a reasonable gauge were about the only decent stock things already on board.

I didn’t consider splits up front with tweeters as my A-Pillars are chock full of wiring for LCD touch screen, countless antennas, roof mount spots etc etc. If I could find first class component door speakers that would not be an issue when powered with an amp with crossovers to take out sub freqencies. Also adding more speakers to rear was out because if I hung another thing off rear door it would fall off:eek::eek:

Finally it could not cost an arm and a leg as SWMBO already looks at computer setup and commences "heavy eye rolling".LOL LOL

Here is what I came up with:

Polk Audio 5” component speakers 135w (45 w continuous) that fit in Disco 4” door and cargo mounts. These are powered by a 4 X channel amp fixed (bolted) to rear of centre console (see photo) with crossover not sending sub frequencies to these 4 speakers.

db501 Car Audio Speaker from Polk Audio (http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/speakers/5/db501/)

Eliminated speaker distortion by sticking Dynamat onto the flimsy fiberboard and aluminum panels surrounding speakers. There is quite a bit of volume sitting behind rear speakers.

Speaker Kit (http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_speaker_kit.html)

10” Slimline Pioneer Sub was thinner enough to fit in rear dicky seat/ storage bin (see photo).

Car Entertainment - Pioneer Electronics Australia (http://www.pioneer.com.au/products/car_entertainment/?a=1&broadband=1)

I made sub-enclosure up from 16mm thick Craftwood screwed, glued & acoustic fiber filled. Carpet that nearly matches stock vinyl colour and heavy steel speaker grill (from Jaycar) to protect it.

Sub is powered by second and separate volume controlled mono amp located under passenger seat.

Hope there is some inspiration here for you...good luck with your project

Disco_owner
26th January 2008, 07:36 PM
cockie55

I appreciate your Honesty , I didn't think I'd get the sound I was after from the extra Prioeenr 4" inch speakers , but as an Experiment I hung them up to hear what it sounds like,also the protrusion is a big issue like you said .. whilst they sound better that stock , it's by far sounds nothing like what I'm really after.

Biggest problem is where to hang up speakers , can't Utilise the wheel arch area on both side, one side has a 40L water Tank and the Other is reseverd for 1 Sub, the only place left is either the front or rear Doors or Under the seats. I thought of taking the panels off the rear and building a Box and incorporating a set of 2-way speakers on the cargo area Panel , but even then , they will still be prutruding out.

------

Cheers

cockie55
26th January 2008, 09:08 PM
Disco_owner I hope I am not hi jacking your project thread but you have asked a lot of ??? and invited advice

First I am a bit confused or maybe I have missed something but you say... "even just 5 or 6 " inch 2 ways on the rear would sound descent" .....I then post details on a "a sweet, working not theoretical system" comprising 5 X channel, 2 X amp, 750 watt, 5 X speaker system using 4 X 5" component speakers in stock disco 4" mounts all with no passenger bay/cargo area intrusion ....but then you say...... "Biggest problem is where to hang up speakers"

Are you thinking amp >1,000 watt amps and if so where these monster amps going???? If you don't think 2X HQ 5" rears are enough to fill back space with good sound (or have you both lifted and "extended" and this is D1 limo LOL LOL) then maybe have a look at seeing if 6X9" could be put in rear pillar. IMHO you may find that will require a lot of custom box work for not if any gain?? also you may find anything other than sub ie mid range speakers under seats will sound like %^$#

Good luck

dullbird
26th January 2008, 09:45 PM
do you have a cargo barrier?
if you look at my'n you can see that i have two amps attached to my'n the big one on my left is 4 channel runs my 4 rockford fosgate 4" coaxals

and the smaller one runs the 2 8" rockford subs in rear

i have great sound in my car not to much doof but enough bass at a nice level.....

personally put a sub in the back and some good quality speakers in the front from all the things i read when doing my'n you dont need rear speakers and if you do you just put crappy ones in as ....in fill speakers....

and you spend the bucks on getting good quality speakers in the front..

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2009/01/1526.jpg

Disco_owner
26th January 2008, 11:00 PM
thanks for the advice guys,

cockie55

here's what I have thought off and you may tell me if you feel would sound reasonable , I kinda knew small speakers are going to sound s....t just on it's own , sorry if I have confused you ,and don't worry you haven't hijacked anything , I'm really after some good advice.

what I'm after is a Good Frequency response , really good base with clear mid-range and higher frequency , and don't mind spending hours customising boxes from MDFif it means I will achieve the end result.

here is a list of what I have in mind ... again feel free to add/delete any items.

2 x 6 "inches in front Under seats

and there is already 2 x 4 "inch which I can take out , modify the panels and put in 5"inch ones if neccessary.

and 1 x 10 or 12" inch Sub if it fits with a 4 channel Amp and Cross-over will this sound ok?

DullBird , I really like what you've done on the rear of your disco , looks awesome. I've seen your Project pics a while back on here.

thanks in advace for all the good advice and any suggestions / ideas.

like you said Dullbird I've also been told to spend my money on a good set of 6" inch or 7"inch in front if they fit and a 4 channel amp and 1 sub.

cockie55
27th January 2008, 01:46 AM
I have no idea what sort of head unit you have or your budget but I think your best bet is take it slow, experimeent and don't go out any get all the bits up front.

First get a good quality 4 channel amp. That is the backbone not a multitude of speakers. V12 Alpines no mater how old are first class and not too expensive second hand. If you got this late model one off evil bay for around $250 that would be good buy.

mrv-f345 alpine amplifier 4 channel 4x75W rms - eBay 4 Channel, Car Amplifiers, Car Audio, Video, Electronic, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 03-Feb-08 17:20:50 AEDST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/mrv-f345-alpine-amplifier-4-channel-4x75W-rms_W0QQitemZ260206368752QQihZ016QQcategoryZ130668 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

I think you might be surprised how good those Bostons of yours are at the back once you power with a decent amp if they are rated north of 100W. The best and biggest coax you will get in a D1 front doors is those 5" polks for around $120 pair. They are better than 4" of all others I have tried inc Bpunks. You could use them elsewhere later say out the back...and put splits in the front if you want to keep going. If you that keen about speakers under seats do that last (I bet you take them out LOL)

With good quality 4 channel amp you can bridge 2 channels and run a decent 10" sub < 800W. I you want to keep going then get a mono amp for that sub.

Enjoy

Disco_owner
27th January 2008, 05:11 AM
hi cockie55

that's awesome ,thanks for all your advice.

I might leave the speakers under the seats idea , go with 5 inch" ones on the doors.

cheers

dullbird
27th January 2008, 05:12 PM
thanks for the advice guys,

cockie55

here's what I have thought off and you may tell me if you feel would sound reasonable , I kinda knew small speakers are going to sound s....t just on it's own , sorry if I have confused you ,and don't worry you haven't hijacked anything , I'm really after some good advice.

what I'm after is a Good Frequency response , really good base with clear mid-range and higher frequency , and don't mind spending hours customising boxes from MDFif it means I will achieve the end result.

here is a list of what I have in mind ... again feel free to add/delete any items.

2 x 6 "inches in front Under seats

and there is already 2 x 4 "inch which I can take out , modify the panels and put in 5"inch ones if neccessary.

and 1 x 10 or 12" inch Sub if it fits with a 4 channel Amp and Cross-over will this sound ok?

DullBird , I really like what you've done on the rear of your disco , looks awesome. I've seen your Project pics a while back on here.

thanks in advace for all the good advice and any suggestions / ideas.

like you said Dullbird I've also been told to spend my money on a good set of 6" inch or 7"inch in front if they fit and a 4 channel amp and 1 sub.

in my honest opinion i wouldn't go the 12" sub if your putting it where the rear seat goes a bit like my'n as if your going to do it properly i dont think you could get enough literage to allow the sub to work in the correct manor and sound right,,,,,now i'm buy no means an expert but i dont think i have the right literage even of my'n and they are only 8's unless of course your going to build out from the seat position then you might be right.......

can ask why your not putting the 6" in the door rather than under the seat you should be able to get them in with spacers......you would deffinalty get 5's in

Disco_owner
27th January 2008, 06:58 PM
exactly DB

I'll be planning on building the sub from the seat position, with your set up it appears you have 2 x 8"inch Sub which is going to give you the Base you're after. but with enough room for 1 sub I'd probably try and go for the Biggest one I can fit.

cockie55
28th January 2008, 02:07 AM
exactly DB

I'll be planning on building the sub from the seat position, with your set up it appears you have 2 x 8"inch Sub which is going to give you the Base you're after. but with enough room for 1 sub I'd probably try and go for the Biggest one I can fit.

My slimline 10" sub shown in pic above (that does not intrude into cargo space) works a treat and is inside the recommended box volume/litreage

BMKal
28th January 2008, 02:53 AM
Almost the same sub set-up as cockie55 has shown, but on the opposite side in a D2.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/ (http://imageshack.us)

I'm running Sony 6 inch speakers in front doors and have disconnected rear door speakers. Sony amp fits easily under front passenger seats.

Disco_owner
28th January 2008, 06:22 AM
Almost the same sub set-up as cockie55 has shown, but on the opposite side in a D2.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7953/dscf1297fa2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I'm running Sony 6 inch speakers in front doors and have disconnected rear door speakers. Sony amp fits easily under front passenger seats.

Thank you for info.

looks good Bmkal, Nice job.

Rangier Rover
28th January 2008, 06:35 PM
Try not to put amps etc under front seats if you go in deep water! I had my amp under seat in my Rangie and went in deep water (went over hood) and some came in through vents and filled foot wells. Later the amp went up in smoke:eek:. Wasn't good with wife and kids in. Now moveing all eleco stuff higher:twisted:
I have 2X4",2X6"and 12"sub. It it all you need. Have 4chanell amp runing 2 Bridged for sub.

The Fish
28th January 2008, 07:26 PM
My slimline 10" sub shown in pic above (that does not intrude into cargo space) works a treat and is inside the recommended box volume/litreage

Disco_Owner I have the same sub as cockie55 mounted in the same spot and amp hidden under the passenger seat and the sound is exactly what I was after. I messed around for a while trying to fit 6x9's in the back pillar but it wasn't worth the hassel. At the moment I have sony 4" speakers front and rear and will upgrade to 5" splits front and 5's rear when funds permit.

You won't be dissapointed with just a 10" sub and a good amp.

cockie55
28th January 2008, 07:46 PM
Try not to put amps etc under front seats if you go in deep water! I had my amp under seat in my Rangie and went in deep water (went over hood and some came in through vents and filled foot wells. Later the amp went up in smoke:eek:. Wasn't good with wife and kids in. Now moveing all eleco stuff higher:twisted:
I have 2X4",2X6"and 12"sub. It it all you need. Have 4chanell amp runing 2 Bridged for sub.

Good point Rangier Rover ...I have quick connects if intend going wading to extract a sub amp under passenger seat and a very expensive/complex computer set up under drivers seat.

If the higher mounted 4 channel amp fixed to rear of centre console as shown in my pic/post above gets wet then.....I have a lot more pressing issues elswhere in the EFI / ECU department me thinks.