PDA

View Full Version : PROJECT disco drawers

bblaze
2nd February 2008, 11:38 PM
This will take a while so bear with me, quite a few pics. The plans were in my head. The outer frame is 700mm deep and 1050 wide and 170mm high. The drawer sides are 690mm deep. A few reasons why I didnt get the sections folded with completed ends or ends for the drawers is that I wasnt completely positive if I need to cut some off the lenth (the 700mm) or exacly how wide the drwers were going to be.

bblaze
2nd February 2008, 11:46 PM
heres all the bits

bblaze
2nd February 2008, 11:58 PM
what I will mention while I think about it is that I had to remove that useless pocket on the door to allow that drawer to slide right out

bblaze
3rd February 2008, 12:02 AM
All the galv bits have been folded by the local plumber and are 1.6mm, looking at weight but also a degree of strenth. The bottom of the drawers is some old flooring I had laying in the shed. The end of the drawers and the top are 10mm constuction ply, again thing of weight.

bblaze
3rd February 2008, 12:13 AM
The drawers were placed in the back and then the top was cut to shape, carpeted and then screwed to the drawers. The reason for this is for me it made fitting them in the back so much easier. I could easily put in the drawers minus the top, just slide them straight in then I only had to lift the top at an angle to fit it in if that makes sense. The cost
Galv steel and bending $123
10mm construction ply $55
60kg slides (ebay) $75
Carpet $44

It is riveted together (have heaps of those laying about), used a couple of cut off wheels, a few self drilling metal screws and other odds and ends that I have laying about.
Still need to get a coup[le of staining flush mounting latches and carpet the front of the drawers.
So if any wants to do a set of drawers, theres how I did it, a honest apraisal of pricing and a sort of plan from my head to photo's at least
cheers
blaze

bblaze
3rd February 2008, 12:16 AM
thought of some thing else
The strip of 1.6 by 50mm galv strip across the top at the front is to give my latch a bit more suport other wise it would have just gone onto the 10mm ply top

cucinadio
3rd February 2008, 06:56 AM
maaaaattee,

very nice job, really brill idea using the folded gal!
enjoy ur hard work, its all worth the effort hey :D

cheers

loanrangie
3rd February 2008, 09:53 AM
Great work Blaze, so you can leave the top floor out if you want ? thats how i would do mine so it would be easier at the supermarket.

Redback
4th February 2008, 08:58 AM
Hey they look good, the gal and bending was cheap.

That rear door pocket is a pain, some D2s came without the pocket some had 1 and some had 2 pockets:eek:

Well done, the drawers are handy to have to put all ya gear in.

Baz.

RR5L
15th March 2008, 07:24 AM
Nice job Blaze, certainly have given me an idea of how to make a set for my truck. Did you bother securing this to the floor of the disco?

HAK
31st March 2008, 07:36 PM
ahhhh you give me an idea for my next project good work

bblaze
31st March 2008, 09:17 PM
I will post a couple more pics soon, they are finished. I have also put a cargo barrier in (made it myself), not real concerned about the legalities of that, more concerned about something flying around inside the vehicle.
cheers
blaze