PDA

View Full Version : LCD touchscreens

McDisco
8th February 2008, 08:35 PM
Hey All

Looking at installing a LCD touchscreen onto the dash of the disco to run the laptop through (the girlfriend is getting sick of holding it!). Am thinking of a 8 to 10 inch screen.

Has anyone worked out a neat setup for a disco (or other) and how did they mount it and secure it? Also was thinking of some sort of shade for it and some way to disconnect it and store it to stop people stealing it.

Any ideas and pics would be great!

Angus

101RRS
8th February 2008, 08:55 PM
I have a 8" touchcreen in my Freelander - having had for a year if I had my time again I wouldn't worry about the touchcreen aspect of it - it works fine but I find using a mouse easier - other have said a trackball. I have found it is easier and safer to use a mouse on my knee than trying to reach across with your right hand (I am right handed) and use a pointer or your finger on the screen.

I bought a german suction mount to mount the screen and it works Ok - a shade is definitely worth while though with sunnies on, on a bright day the screen is a bit hard to read - night is not a problem.

Whatever screen you get - make sure it is easy to adjust brightness as mine is hard - I need to turn mine down at night and up during the day p- not easy while driving.

Cheers

Garry

p38arover
8th February 2008, 09:05 PM
(the girlfriend is getting sick of holding it!).

:eek: :eek: :eek:

McDisco
8th February 2008, 09:16 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yeah thanks for taking it there! :p

She never gets sick of that...:D

feral
8th February 2008, 09:29 PM
Whatever you do don't make it too big :Rolling::Rolling:

Oh...that was pathetic:blush:

I have a 10.4 inch touch screen and it was down right hard to find a position for it. It really is so large its beyond belief. I should have gone for the 8 inch as it gives more option to put it.

The screen sits between the transfer and gear sticks. Its tight and luckily found an adjustable mount so I can pull it away from the climate controls.

I will take some pics in the morning for you Angus.

McDisco
8th February 2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks mate...I am actually thinking of mounting it up between the sun visors. I saw Cockies and it looks like a good place. I am worried about putting it on the dash as I think some d!ckhead will try to steal it...

Angus

Graeme
8th February 2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks mate...I am actually thinking of mounting it up between the sun visors. I saw Cockies and it looks like a good place. I am worried about putting it on the dash as I think some d!ckhead will try to steal it...

Angus
Mine sits in front of the dash in front of the radio, but its hinged so it can flip onto its back on top of the dash. I like Cockies spot between the sunvisors but I think I'd have a problem reading it as its too close for my eyes.

WhiteD3
8th February 2008, 10:05 PM
Whatever you do don't make it too big :Rolling::Rolling:

I have a 10.4 inch .

I hope you dont use it as a rule:lol2::lol2::lol2:

feral
9th February 2008, 09:31 AM
Big isn't it? :whistling:

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2008/02/442.jpg (http://www.aulro.com/app/showphoto.php/photo/8981)

jsp
9th February 2008, 09:50 AM
I am wishing to put one in my Range Rover which has basically the same dash as the disco, and after putting on in my P38 range rover 3 years ago, 7 inch is big enough, and I wont put it in the dash. Someone on the site had a flip down sun visor one, with a keypad next to it - brilliant. I am not worried about others watching DVD's n stuff, I just want it for GPS, up top where the sun visor is means no shadow/glare problems, flips up out of sight and also means no distracting light source if you do night driving as even with brightness contrast turned down they are still bright in a dark car so you have to turn them off.

Personally I love the touch aspect of the screen, and haven't had a mouse or keyboard in the front of the car since I installed it.

McDisco
9th February 2008, 12:13 PM
Big isn't it? :whistling:

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2008/02/442.jpg (http://www.aulro.com/app/showphoto.php/photo/8981)

Yeah that is big! But that location would just annoy me! Doesnt it interfere with the low range shifter and your cup holders? I couldnt do that anyway as I have a manual.

Thanks for the pic though. I think a 8 inch screen should be big enough...10.4 is too big.

Angus