PDA

View Full Version : BULLBARS, etc, - ARB or TJM?

John58
17th February 2008, 09:26 PM
Hi All
I'm intending to fit my D3 with a bullbar, winch and snorkel. The only two major brands available here in Brisbane appear to be ARB and TJM. As far as I can tell, although the pricing for each item varies between the two makes, the variation in overall cost for the bullbar/winch/snorkell package is only $18.
Does anyone have any experience with either make, or have any preferences either way?
They both claim to be air-bag compatible. I gather that the ARB bar includes a bash plate to protect the sump, but I don't know if TJM has this or not. The ARB winch is 9,000 lb pull while the TJM one is 10,000 lb. Both firms offer Safari brand snorkells.

Any help or words of advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

John58

Jamo
17th February 2008, 10:53 PM
I've got the ARB one and it's been good. Protected the car really well when I hit a roo.

Don't know about the winch as I don't know what 9000lb winch they've quoted you on.

I've got a Warn 9.5xp (9500lb) with synthetic rope and I've not had any problem with it.

John58
18th February 2008, 02:32 PM
Hi Jamo
Glad to hear of your favourable experience with ARB bar - I guess that's what they're for! The winch I was quoted on was a Magnum, which is MUCH cheaper than a Warn.

garryc
18th February 2008, 03:53 PM
Hi All
I'm intending to fit my D3 with a bullbar, winch and snorkel. The only two major brands available here in Brisbane appear to be ARB and TJM. As far as I can tell, although the pricing for each item varies between the two makes, the variation in overall cost for the bullbar/winch/snorkell package is only $18.
Does anyone have any experience with either make, or have any preferences either way?
They both claim to be air-bag compatible. I gather that the ARB bar includes a bash plate to protect the sump, but I don't know if TJM has this or not. The ARB winch is 9,000 lb pull while the TJM one is 10,000 lb. Both firms offer Safari brand snorkells.

Any help or words of advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

John58
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-zone/47912-tjm-bull-bar.html
John, see my info on the TJM bar. I saw on another site where they said the ARB bar was too close too the bonnet of the vehicle for some owners. I looked at a fitted ARB bar and the TJM bar has a bigger gap and a mount for an aerial but that might not matter much. The exposed air suspension cable is a problem on both bars and should be fixed by the manufacturers :o I sent the pictures on my post to TJM but have had no response. regards garry

trobbo
19th February 2008, 08:44 AM
unfortunately I dont have any experience with the D3, however on my D1 and can attest that an ARB bar is far stronger than the tjm equivilant. After one little love tap by a tree in the bush my tjm bar was looking very ordinary. It was replaced with an arb bar which has withstood much harsher punishment.

Disco3
24th February 2008, 08:27 PM
Hi John - Ive got an ARB on my disco, after doing a bit of looking around I just felt the ARB seemed a little more solid than the ECB or the TJM. I hit a roo without a bull-bar a few months after buying my new disco (which left me off the road for 1.5 months) - I've since smakced down 3 roos without any damage or airbags going off. Get the ARB in my view. cheers Lance

John58
24th February 2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks Lance - I think I probably will go with the ARB. So far I seem to be getting more positive feedback on it.
Cheers, John.

Desert Traveller
26th March 2008, 12:57 PM
The ARB has a better attack angle. TJM is easier to clean. I have a colour coded ARB with a Warn 9000# fitted as that was all that was available 2 years ago.