PDA

View Full Version : Coolant in oil

Rangier Rover
18th February 2008, 04:05 PM
My S111 109 (2.25) has just droped the coolant into the oil and got a bit warm wile in action. Suspect head gasket or expansion plugs under head have given out. Engine was only rebuilt 60000kms (2ys) ago. This should not happen!!!:confused:. Should be good for 300000 or more. Anyone got some ideas?.
Thanks RR.

JDNSW
18th February 2008, 05:13 PM
Most likely head gasket - was the head retorqued after the overhaul? Should have been done with the engine hot after assembly, and I normally redo it at about 1000km. Also possibly caused by dirt on the gasket when assembled, or incorrect effective torque by nuts not moving freely on the studs.

Other (relatively unlikely) causes are a cracked head or block or corrosion through the combustion chamber or cylinder wall. There are core plugs on top of the head, and these are easy to check with the rocker cover off, but I have not heard of them going before the ones open to the outside air, but it could happen, particularly if the water jacket has used bore water or similar at any time.

Depending on how hot it got the head may need reskimming.

Rangier Rover
18th February 2008, 06:17 PM
Most likely head gasket - was the head retorqued after the overhaul? Should have been done with the engine hot after assembly, and I normally redo it at about 1000km. Also possibly caused by dirt on the gasket when assembled, or incorrect effective torque by nuts not moving freely on the studs.

Other (relatively unlikely) causes are a cracked head or block or corrosion through the combustion chamber or cylinder wall. There are core plugs on top of the head, and these are easy to check with the rocker cover off, but I have not heard of them going before the ones open to the outside air, but it could happen, particularly if the water jacket has used bore water or similar at any time.

Depending on how hot it got the head may need reskimming.Thanks JD. Have now found oil coming out of rear cam journal through small hole??
Spoke to the bloke driving it and said it just died with no warning.. Towed it home will pull head and see.. The Cam Journal has got me worried. Is it posible to have taken out part of casting. Looks like the cam bearing has grabed and slipped.:o
Cheers RR.

JDNSW
18th February 2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks JD. Have now found oil coming out of rear cam journal through small hole??
Spoke to the bloke driving it and said it just died with no warning.. Towed it home will pull head and see.. The Cam Journal has got me worried. Is it posible to have taken out part of casting. Looks like the cam bearing has grabed and slipped.:o
Cheers RR.

Doesn't sound good! I would think that the cam journal probably has grabbed and slipped, but this would have been a result of the overheating, not a cause of water in the oil.

John

Rangier Rover
18th February 2008, 06:51 PM
Doesn't sound good! I would think that the cam journal probably has grabbed and slipped, but this would have been a result of the overheating, not a cause of water in the oil.

John I tend to agree there. I'm cocerned about the block now. Was oversized and had new pistons. So I can't swap blocks. It will have to be pulled down to find out carnage:(:(:( Thinking of fitting a HJ45 H engine and gear box I've got here.:o. It will be the last resort though. Would be better then a holden six but an insult to the S111.
Cheers RR.

willvine
18th February 2008, 07:38 PM
Not good man! keep it real and keep it original. My sympathies to the truck.

I agree the head gasket has probably gone between number 3 and 4 if it was boiling the coolant.

Although the blocks are quite over engineered to cope with extreme running conditions you may only be up for a re skim of the head and a gasket good case senario. worst case well... lets not say.:(

Rangier Rover
18th February 2008, 09:51 PM
Not good man! keep it real and keep it original. My sympathies to the truck.

I agree the head gasket has probably gone between number 3 and 4 if it was boiling the coolant.

Although the blocks are quite over engineered to cope with extreme running conditions you may only be up for a re skim of the head and a gasket good case senario. worst case well... lets not say.:(
I will keep it original if economical do do so.
I think the cam journal may bring us undone here:(
Cheers RR.

vnx205
18th February 2008, 10:47 PM

Depending on how hot it got the head may need reskimming.
One went on my Series III about 10 years ago.
The first sign of trouble was a huge cloud of smoke as I put my foot down after coasting down a hill. A check of the dipstick showed that the sump was very full of mayonnaise.
Being an optimist, I thought, "head gasket", so I pulled the head off. Head gasket was fine, so I thought, "cracked head", but I couldn't see anything there either. The only other (expensive) option I could think of was "cracked block", but it seemed OK too.
I had run out of ideas, so I put the head back on and then for no particular reason, I started the engine with the rocker cover off.
A tiny bead of water appeared on one of those aluminium plugs.
It had a pinhole in it.