PDA

View Full Version : I radiate TV interference - wife annoyed

p38arover
22nd February 2008, 10:31 PM
We have a TV in our bedroom. My wife is getting very annoyed because everytime I walk into the bedroom, the TV suffers from interference to both pix and sound, wiping out whatever she's watching.

At this rate I'll soon be banned from the bedroom. :(

Fortunately, it's only the cable TV that's affected.

"WTH?" you say. Ok, a bit more info. We have a 5.8GHz radio link from the cable TV receiver in the family room to the bedroom - about 7 metres. When I enter the room I don't pass through the line of sight for the link, I'm a good metre away from the TV when it starts to play up.

What's odd is that it doesn't happen when she walks into the bedroom or past the TV.

She now wants to plug a light bulb into my mouth - a bit like Uncle Fester - to save power.

abaddonxi
22nd February 2008, 10:42 PM
The only surprise is working out if it's you or something you bought.

:D

Bzzzt-bzzzt. bzztbzzt.
Simon

Shocking

Lotz-A-Landies
22nd February 2008, 10:47 PM
Ron

Maybe you need to turn yourself into a Faraday cage. You would just need to get into a braided copper or other electrically conductive suit, bang a few ferrites over all of your appendages then ground yourself either to a earth stake or possibly into the earth socket in a GPO.

If it doesn't work get back to me!

Diana

BTW: I had the same with a re-transmitter for the cable/sat TV box. The biggest problem was the WiFi on the router, as soon as a laptop was turned on the remote TV's went off. Solved the problem by hard wiring the satellite box using the second SCART socket. Only problem is remote control.

abaddonxi
22nd February 2008, 10:57 PM
Ron
<snip>
Maybe you need to turn yourself into a Faraday cage.
<snip>

I knew there was a use for all of those T4 cables.

Cheers
Simon

p38arover
22nd February 2008, 11:16 PM
BTW: I had the same with a re-transmitter for the cable/sat TV box. The biggest problem was the WiFi on the router, as soon as a laptop was turned on the remote TV's went off. Solved the problem by hard wiring the satellite box using the second SCART socket. Only problem is remote control.

I had a lot of interference problems with the first AV transmitter we bought. It was on 2.4 GHz and was mightily affected by microwave ovens - not just ours (it took a while to work that one out) and by our WiFi.

BigJon
23rd February 2008, 10:59 AM
Easy solution... take the TV out of the bedroom! Unless you need it for um... inspirational DVDs... :D:p

jx2mad
23rd February 2008, 11:04 AM
Watch out Ron!!! That stuff makes you sterile :angel::angel::angel::p

p38arover
23rd February 2008, 11:37 AM
Watch out Ron!!! That stuff makes you sterile :angel::angel::angel::p

That was always the worry when I worked on satellite earth stations that transmitted in the 6GHz region (Rx 4GHz)

pk.hoarder
23rd February 2008, 12:06 PM
G'day Ron

This only happens with the cable TV, right?

Maybe there is some reflection or multipathing going on, like from big (solid) metal surfaces (could include a tin roof or something like that). So, when you walk into the room, the path you are disturbing may not be the direct line of sight path.

One way to try to get around it is relocating the antennas of the 5.8G link, maybe the one at the TV end (since the cable end will be limited in its movement).

Have you tried the same Rx somewhere else in the house?

I don't know how these things are with other 5.8G links nearby... if there is some code setting maybe you could try changing that.

Good luck,

p38arover
23rd February 2008, 12:51 PM
Easy solution... take the TV out of the bedroom! Unless you need it for um... inspirational DVDs... :D:p

1. She's not religious.

2. Or do you mean training videos?

p38arover
23rd February 2008, 12:52 PM
I think I radiate electrical forces too....

we had touch screen telemetry units at work a few years ago and if I waved my hand across the front of the screens I used to change the settings :D:D:D

I knew we were made for each other, NM! :angel:

p38arover
23rd February 2008, 12:58 PM
Maybe there is some reflection or multipathing going on, like from big (solid) metal surfaces (could include a tin roof or something like that). So, when you walk into the room, the path you are disturbing may not be the direct line of sight path.

One way to try to get around it is relocating the antennas of the 5.8G link, maybe the one at the TV end (since the cable end will be limited in its movement).

Have you tried the same Rx somewhere else in the house?

I don't know how these things are with other 5.8G links nearby... if there is some code setting maybe you could try changing that.

I was going to try a couple of small shelves higher up the wall to get a better line of sight. We don't have a metal roof nor sarking so that's not an issue. There is a old water heater in the roof space (above and between the AV sender/receiver but that's all.

But why doesn't it do it when my wife walks past?

I haven't tried the units between another room in, say, the other direction.

This one doesn't have different code settings available.

BigJon
23rd February 2008, 01:56 PM
1. She's not religious.

2. Or do you mean training videos?

I'd like to lock in answer number 2 Ron :D.

abaddonxi
23rd February 2008, 02:03 PM
Maybe it's the tinfoil cape.

Cheers
Simon

p38arover
23rd February 2008, 02:23 PM
Maybe it's the tinfoil cape.

Cheers
Simon

Ahhh! I just checked, it should have been a tinfoil cap - Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie (http://zapatopi.net/afdb/)

pk.hoarder
24th February 2008, 06:11 PM
But why doesn't it do it when my wife walks past?

Don't know... are you bionic?:)
If she is much shorter than you it could be enough to make the difference.

cheers