PDA

View Full Version : the building of my camper trailer

markd2
25th February 2008, 12:20 AM
hi everyone
Thought some people maybe interested in the building of my camper trailer for the kimberleys next year and beyond the tent I bought on ebay a bargain retails for $3500.00 got it for $860.00 am making trailer to suit tent rather than making trailer and trying to modify it later to suit tent. so I purchased the tent first to reference all my mesurements from.

stage 1. buy parts, most were purchased on the web or on ebay total cost around $1000.00 this includes axle(45mm square 1500kg),springs(7 pack off road with rebound,heavy duty shackles 5/8"bolts),wheels,hubs(10"),brakes(electric),u-bolts, fish plates etc

stage 2. Frame. Cost of base around $100.00 used 40mm x 40mm x 2.5mm RHS mig welded up size is 1490mm wide x 2200mm long that is in the inside see pics:cool::D

so total cost so far is around $1950.00

will keep you updated as work progresses

cheers for now mark

hiline
25th February 2008, 12:23 AM
at $1950.00 she's looking good already :D:D

markd2
26th February 2008, 05:06 PM
more photos

stage 3 draw bar 50mm x 75mm x 3mm RHS made it 2.4 metres long from tow point to trailer box and yes that is long but I'll explain that later cost $40.00

stage 4 side frames and more floor support welded in place cost about another $150.00 for material

stage 5 checker plate floor 3mm had to buy 2 sheets because too large for one sheet but will use off cuts elsewhere welded in cost $240.00

stage 6 what I call the flip top head to mount tent to trailer and can lift up for access to trailer,framework that came with tent was too flimsy so this will replace that. cost $55.00 for materials including stainless steel hinges also purchased 2 new tyres bfg all terrains cost $440.00

total cost now approx $2840.00

LandyAndy
26th February 2008, 07:59 PM
Hi Mark
Looking good!!!
Seen mine?http://www.aulro.com/afvb/trailers-vans-campers/40943-off-road-trailer-born.html??
$4000+ at the moment and I havent bought the tent top!!!!,but it is a dual purpose trailer.
Did you plate the gal tube where you welded the spring hangers to the chassis???
I looked at quite a few trailers(100s actually) whilst planing mine,easy for me as there is a tourist stop at my back door.Just look at whats on display whilst they do the tourist thing,looked at HEAPS of trailers.
All the expensive looking trailers had it,cheapies and home madies didnt!!!!
I welded a 10mm plate in before the spring hanger.
When the local boilermaker called in to measure the tin for bending it was the first thing he looked at.I got the thumbs up.
If its not plated the gal tube splits and fails at the welds on corrogations.
Look at my pics,if they dont show up I can provide a close up.
Goodluck,looking forward to seeing/comparing the finished jobs.
I love welding,have no training but bought good tools!!!
Andrew

markd2
26th February 2008, 08:53 PM
hi andrew

no I didn't plate it first as I can't understand the reason behind it because the plate is welded to the chassis and if the hanger is going to break welds then the plate that is welded to the chassis should do the same. the only benefit of the plate is it is larger and has a greater surface area to weld to I think it all depends on the person welding it, you need good penetration in the weld and weld it all the way round also depends on the thickneess of the chassis that you are welding to mine is 2.5mm thick the I span over 2 of them I used my mig and 0.9mm wire and got good penetration I am a fitter by trade and weld a fair bit so I hope it will be ok but I could be wrong too only time will tell . thanks though for the thought the kimberleys will test it out
cheers mark

LandyAndy
26th February 2008, 09:05 PM
Hi Mark
I only copied what I saw on big $$$ campers.
My springs are welded to 12.5 mm of steel compared to 2.5mm of tube.
Not trying to put you down at all.Esyest time to fix is now.
Its not the weld between the spring hanger and tube that fails,its the steel the weld is joined to.
Got the big chat on it from the welder mate who gave the thumbs up.He builds semi trailers and was quite impressed with my work.
Put a question out to others here,if they agree it gives you an idea it should be fixed now rather than later.
Andrew

markd2
26th February 2008, 09:24 PM
hi andy
Sorry I don't understand you say your spring or (is it hanger) is welded to 12.5mm steel. is that a plate? and is that welded to some part of the chassis or is the plate part of the chassis? I would hope with the vibrations some of it would be dampened by the pivot on the shackled end , the front hanger has also got the draw bar butted up to it and welded, to give it more strength but I may have another look at it and weld in a gussit to the hanger to give it more support thanks again every bit helps

cheers mark

LandyAndy
26th February 2008, 09:48 PM
Hi Mark
I welded a 10mm thick by 50mm wide piece of flat bar to the 2.5mm thick 50x50mm tube used for the chassis.As mine will be used for carrying HEAVY loads beyond the legal 2 tonne rating for my firewood work I actualy doubled the 50x50 to 2 thicknesess above the springs,look at my pics posted.Not needed on a camper trailer,but required for my dual purpose needs.
If I was in your position I would get the spring hangers oxyed off and weld the extra steel in.
As I said,Im fortunate that I looked at HEAPS of trailers whilst planing mine.
The boilermaker mate asked who told me how to do that in relation to my spring hangers,I said by looking at whats displayed behind my house(Williams Woolstation).I worked for him for a brief time whilst under REHAB for a back injury,have been offered employment with him but the aircon in the grader suits me better!!!
Andrew

markd2
26th February 2008, 10:05 PM
hi again andy

had a look at your thread (sorry should have looked earlier) can see what you have done looks good I did notice though your hangers are short I'm putting an attachment of my springs and hangers on have a look at the difference

LandyAndy
27th February 2008, 07:44 PM
Hi Mark
Your mount area is definately larger,which will help.
My springs are the plus 2T SWL so much heavier duty although smaller mounts.
Mate you need to look after my shed,JUST WISH I COULD KEEP MINE LIKE THAT!!!!!
Or was that a tidy up for the camera???:D:D:D:D:D
Keep your posts coming nice work!!!
Get onto that Sikaflex for your tinwork,great stuff.They glue cars/buses/caravans together with it.
Im getting the caulking grade Sikaflex over the weekend to fill all panel to chassis joins,after that its ready to paint:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Got the paint and the upside down gun,looking forward to it!!!
Andrew

markd2
28th February 2008, 11:31 AM
hi all
more updates

stage 7 weld in the 3 sides purchased steel plate for $130.00 2.4m x 1.2m x 1.6mm 2 off had plate cut to size at local engineering workshop with guiloteen made job a lot easier than cutting with angle grinder weld plate all the way round (no sikaflex or sealant ) cleaned up all welds with a flap disc (disc that attaches to angle grinder is a series of pieces of emery cloth does a great job of smoothing out imperfections without taking to much metal away ) can be purchased from hardware or I got mine from ebay cheap.

stage 8 weld on guards I purchased checker plate guards on ebay cheap $70.00 for the pair, can,t make em for that price myself.

stage 9 weld in infills in wings used off cuts from sides for this

stage 10 build rear door purchased 50mm x 50mm x5mm angle for this job cost $40.00 and are using off cuts from floor to fill. made frame and then welded in sheet and middle angle iron brace across door has 3 hinges (purchased from supercheap $14.00 for 2 sets) 3 hinges because in plan to put a kitchen on the door.

total cost now $3155.00

cheers all
mark

GRIFF
29th February 2008, 05:03 PM
Hi Mark.
I start building my trailer this weekend, pick up steel today.
do you have contact for hubs brakes etc and are they loandrover hubs thanks Chris

LandyAndy
1st March 2008, 09:16 PM
Hi Griff
I used Martins Trailer Parts,Bayswater WA.
They were EXTREMELY helpfull,they do their own engineering so can do almost anything.
They send all over aussie.Google them for their website.
Andrew

markd2
5th March 2008, 06:55 PM
hi again all more progress

stage 11 fill in sides for jerry can holders etc ,material for this is off cuts from checkered plate floor just needed to be folded at the end , install the tregg coupling purchased off ebay $300.00.also install gas struts $38.00 for flip top head and rubber for around rear door and top of flip top head to seal between it and trailer $54.00, also purchased jockey wheel a bargain at $33.00 delivered from ebay

stage 12. paint, researched options either 2 pack or a hammertone finish decided on a 2 pack found a supplier called A & I coatings these guys supply paint for xpt trains m5 ,m2 tunnels etc good stuff and don't require a booth to spray there product on so purchased 4 litres of paint plus 1 litre of hardener and 4 litres of undercoat . total cost $180.00. sprayed on great only needed to wear plastic type overalls and a face mask . and sprayed outside paint dried in 2 hours first coat then recoat touch dry again in 2 hours but hardens over 7 days

total cost $3760.00

cheers mark

LandyAndy
5th March 2008, 07:51 PM
Looking great Mark.
I painted mine over the weekend,primer only.4lts of super etch and 3 lts of red oxide.
Its been baking real well in the shed with our hot weather during the week.Painting it black this weekend,using normal enamel plus a hardener.Will be lighting the wood heater in the shed once the topcoat is on.I will bake it real hard!!!
PICS WHEN THE JOBS DONE!!!
Andrew

markd2
7th March 2008, 09:35 PM
hi andrew
sounds great wheres the pics mate

cheers mark

LandyAndy
8th March 2008, 12:02 PM
Hi Mark
Will get some whilst its still in primer,doing colour coats today/tommorow.
Andrew

loanrangie
8th March 2008, 02:18 PM
Mark, how high are the sides, what will the deck height be ? On checking out most of the trailer tops, they tend to suit a 1-1.1m high trailer.

markd2
10th March 2008, 10:35 AM
hi loanrangie

the deck height is 1100mm at this stage I need 1000mm to 1050mm for my tent so the floor sits flat on the ground I have made it a bit higher to allow for some sag with all the weight its going to carry. the internal size of the wall is 500mm

cheers mark

markd2
10th March 2008, 10:18 PM
hi all again more updates

stage 13 lights purchased 2 sets of led lights (1 looked bare) and a led No plate light $175.00 .Next purchased wiring,plugs,conduit,clamps for conduit,safety chain,brake cable kit,vin plate,mud flaps,reflectors and electric brake controller for disco. took 8 hours to wire up but looks great neat and tidy nothing dangling to get ripped out if going over branches etc total cost $550.00

stage 14 rego. booked in for blue slip(nsw) then took up and got weigh bridge ticket ,Ohh 470 kgs dry no spare no jockey wheel(removed). Ah well she's built strong lots of metal all welded .Next up to blue slip inspector sailed through with flying colours no problems.Next to RTA with all receipts and paperwork where I was told I needed a stat dec to prove I built it so off to find a JP to sign paperwork finally all in order and I walk out with plate in hand less $330.00 out of my wallet and 1/2 a day gone

total cost so far $4615.00

cheers mark

cucinadio
10th March 2008, 10:48 PM
mate, really really nice job!!! can l order mine in black please??:D

cheers

markd2
11th March 2008, 01:14 AM
hi cucinadio
mate will cost you a fortune at my labour rate plus materials ah ah

cucinadio
11th March 2008, 07:09 AM
hi cucinadio
mate will cost you a fortune at my labour rate plus materials ah ah

well in that case, do you have some planes drawn up??:D

cheers

Redback
11th March 2008, 08:00 AM
That's a great job on the trailer, what length is that drawbar, it looks alot longer than most i've seen.

Baz.

BMKal
11th March 2008, 10:42 AM
Tralier looks great Mark. And I thought the same as Redback - that is one long drawbar. Assume you're planning to mount a fair bit more gear out front.

Xtreme
11th March 2008, 12:31 PM
Nice job and great result.
However, that loooooooog drawbar presents some concerns.
They are great for reversing but not so good for manouvering in heavily timbered country and the 'ramp-over' angle is severly compromised.
Also the unit appears fairly well balanced at present but if you intend to carry extra stuff on the drawbar be sure not to overload it too much.

Just a bit of experience from building a camper from a 130 tub with a long draw bar.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy many trips with it in tow.

LandyAndy
11th March 2008, 08:14 PM
One or 2 steps ahead Mark!!!!!
Going away for Easter then finishing mine off.Yours is looking real good,after building my own you appreciate the work that goes in more than onlookers do.
Well done,looking forward to posting pics of mine behind my D2!!!!!!
Andrew

markd2
12th March 2008, 12:44 AM
hi guys

yes the draw bar is loongggg 2.4 metres long from the box of the trailer to the tregg coupling but the reason its that long is because a large tool box is going on the front as well as the spare wheel and I will be able to open the back of the disco without hitting anything gives me full access to the back of the truck and yes it will be a bit heavier I predict the max ball weight will be around 150 kgs the disco is rated at 250 kgs and the fact that there won't be much stuff in the back of it should even it out also a 82 litre water tank is going behind the trailer axle for some counter balance and it will be a bit less manouverable but thats the price I will pay for having the thing usable and functional

cheers mark

markd2
12th March 2008, 12:54 AM
well in that case, do you have some planes drawn up??:D

cheers

I purchased the basic plans off ebay then heavily modified them to suit myself they really only gave me a bill of materials and basic guide on how and what you need cost $30.00 from a trailer mob in brisbane I only really used them as a reference for material sizes and thicknesses

cheers mark

cucinadio
12th March 2008, 06:47 AM
I purchased the basic plans off ebay then heavily modified them to suit myself they really only gave me a bill of materials and basic guide on how and what you need cost $30.00 from a trailer mob in brisbane I only really used them as a reference for material sizes and thicknesses

cheers mark

cheers mark ;)

markd2
18th March 2008, 07:07 PM
hi everyone more updates

now the trailer is registed its time for fitting out and on

stage 15 Camping tent. Made new flip top because the one that came with and tent was too thin and didn't fit the size of my trailer also the bed board was too thin for my liking and only made from two pieces of ply with sandwich material in between so purchased 2 pieces of form ply 17mm thick cut to size and cut out holes for access to inside of trailer. Then painted all bare timber with a good quality oil based paint. Attached to flip top then removed tent from old board and attached to new. Next install tie down clamps to hold the complete top down installed 4 one on each corner cost for all this $275.00

stage 16 fit out Made up holders for jerry can and gas bottle on both sides of trailer. the holders swing out on a hinge because with the tent in the way it would be too hard to lift these things out of there holders and not enogh head room. Material used was from the checker plate floor bent up and welded with threaded bar and nuts to lock it up. cost $30.00.

stage 17 Next water tank mount tank under trailer with brackets supplied I chose a 82 litre tank and have mounted it just to the rear of the axle as I have stated before to act as a counter balance for the long draw bar and the axle will give it some protection from foreign bodies I also intent to fold up a steel guard later. Next pump for tank and wiring. Have installed on the LHS to the rear of the trailer and folded up some plate to hide it and for somewhere to put the filler and the tap cost for all $290.00

stage 18 spare wheel holder. Purchased one but looked flimsy so strenghtened with 6mm plate and welding as a gusset also made up an extra support leg so it will not shake cost $80.00

total cost to date $

cheers all mark

Redback
19th March 2008, 06:38 AM
Have you been able to take the trailer for a long test run to see how it handles behind the car.

Baz.

markd2
19th March 2008, 10:02 PM
hi baz
no not as yet I intend to take it out shortly for a shake down run to a couple of caravan parks first to see how it goes

cheers mark

markd2
26th March 2008, 09:32 PM
hi everyone more updates

stage 19 tool box on front purchased this rather than making it myself at $4oo.oo for a 500mm high x 600mm deep x 1700mm long the price was to good to pass up mount on draw bar leaving 100mm for pvc pole holders to fit behind

stage 20 Kitchen decide to purchase this too with the money i'm saving doing it myself I can afford to splash out a little so it purchased a drifta kitchen dso kit which includes kitchen,large and small boxes (I ordered this weeks ago) price $1365.00

stage 20 power installed 12volt power plugs to each side of the trailer under the led tail lights and 2 more under the bed all are seperately fused and wired back to the tool box where I have installed a 120 amp hour battery and a 15amp smart charger and wired up a 3 pin plug outside to power up from mains when required. Also wired from battery to front of trailer with anderson plug to car to charge on run. also purchased a solar panel (20watt)and regulator only small but can add another later if required cost of all this $830.00

total cost of project so far $7885.00

cheers mark

LandyAndy
27th March 2008, 11:55 AM
Hi Mark
How does the kitchen work,is it slide out or portable???
Any pics of it set up,MOST INTERESTED!!!!
Do you have a website addy for the supplier/manufacturers?
Love the verhanda/outdoor area on the house,NICE!!!
Andrew

dolphint
27th March 2008, 05:14 PM
Hi Mark, Looks Great!!!:D which Tent did yo get from Ebay??

markd2
27th March 2008, 08:26 PM
hi andy

the kitchen can be purchased from drifta at drifta.com.au
all info is at there web site they ship all over the country

cheers mark

markd2
27th March 2008, 08:53 PM
hi dolphint

the tent is just called a 803 purchased off ebay I was patient and jagged it for only $860.00. rrp is $3500.00 a mate of mine got a 801 which is a little bit smaller for a similar price both are good quality for the price am working on the theory if I get over 5 years use out of this one I'll get it recanvassed and modified to my specs once I work out everything, if I now go to have it made from scratch I don't know whats good or bad as this is my first camper those that have had one before would be more aware of there likes and dislikes in the makeup of the tent. heres a pic of it. You get the tent ,mattress,ladder,full enclosure and floor for the annex

LandyAndy
28th March 2008, 10:28 AM
$860!!!!
Great price,I too would get one at that price,I will start watching the listings more closely.Problem is its $300 to $400 to send them over here:mad::mad::mad::mad:.
At that prive you will always get it back if you decide to sell the top and change it.
One thing you may like to think about is the sag in the roof,it will collect water if it rains.Many of the better ones Graz and I looked at on display at the camping show had similar problems.We looked at several and came up with a fix,if you buy a few extra spreader spars and run them down the pitch it will help prevent water pooling.
Andrew

100I
28th March 2008, 10:54 AM
Mine has 4 bars in the tent section and does not sag but the annex only has 3 bars and does sag over the extra span. Mind you I did have all the guy ropes pegged out pretty short and therefore low tension so as to give parking room close by.
I've decided the simplest trick is to get a couple of fibreglass bows to help support the annex.

markd2
29th March 2008, 08:04 PM
hi guys

yes andy you are dead right about the sagging I have already made up 4 extra spreader bars for it ,fixed the problem

cheers mark

Disco300Tdi
29th March 2008, 09:40 PM
An excellent project Mark,,,,could only pick one fault..:(

Your going to the Kimberly Region of Western Australia, not the Kimberlys....:D

markd2
9th January 2009, 01:09 AM
hi everyone
latest update to camper see pic new top cover

LandyAndy
9th January 2009, 08:21 PM
Good to see the finished product Mark.
How does the D2 go pulling it fully laden into a headwind????
Just used my trailer on a 2 week trip,now I know why Ive got a 4th and 3rd gear:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Its hard work into a headwind,15 to 17L per 100ks and strugling to hold 100kph.
A chip and intercooler upgrade will really come in handy I feel.
Quite a few campers came to admire the trailer wanting to know where I bought it:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:,cant wait to get a top made and shift out of the current tent.
How did your tent fit with the 1100mm height???? Seen a few "pre-made" tops,they say 1050mm MAX.
Great Work
Andrew

markd2
12th January 2009, 12:07 PM
Hi andy

Really haven't been in any big headwinds with the camper despite doing 7000kms last year with it the d2 tows it pretty good fully loaded on a trip to Qld late last year recorded 10.4 l/100 klms taking it easy around the 95km mark was very happy with that . And Ive had people come up to me and asked where I brought the camper from and to there suprise told them I built it myself . Then asked would I build another . The answer of course is always no as I would not be able to price in the amount of time I spent in labour doing it , My tent was from evilbay and does have a height to floor of 1100mm which I do exceed but its no problem just can't peg in down properly in thoughs corners Its hardly noticeable and doesn't damage anything so I don't worry to much about it really,also today went and got a valuation done on it by a caravan mob for insurance they valued it at $15000.00 the guy went over it and said would I make more. No was the reply. So for the $8000.00 odd spent on it am very happy how its turned out .I am going down to the snowys on the Australia Day weekend with friends. then to the Kimberlys mid year for 9 weeks can't wait.

Cheers mark

slug_burner
12th January 2009, 01:07 PM
An excellent project Mark,,,,could only pick one fault..:(

Your going to the Kimberly Region of Western Australia, not the Kimberlys....:D

Maybe the Kimberley region:wasntme: Ron made me do it:angel::twisted:

harlie
12th January 2009, 03:26 PM
Excellent job Mark – well done.

LandyAndy
13th January 2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks Mark
Great tip with insurance,will get mine done when finished.Yes Ive had offers on mine and asks for building one.Just couldnt do it,the time spent just cant be charged for fairly.
We had very strong headwinds at Xmas time both going and leaving.Flat out holding 90ks.I was horrified to see the fuelgauge drop so fast.Did the sums,15L/100ks:eek::eek::eek::eek:.Not nearly as bad as I expected.Tojonissans are lucky to get that in normal driving:p:p:p:p
Did laugh when 2 Ford Territorys towing Jaco pop ups past me 1/2 way between Esperance and Ravensthorpe.They had to stop for fuel at Ravensthorpe:D:D:D:D,gave them a toot and a wave as I went past:cool::cool::cool::cool:
Andrew

cewilson
31st January 2009, 07:36 PM
Hi andy

Really haven't been in any big headwinds with the camper despite doing 7000kms last year with it the d2 tows it pretty good fully loaded on a trip to Qld late last year recorded 10.4 l/100 klms taking it easy around the 95km mark was very happy with that . And Ive had people come up to me and asked where I brought the camper from and to there suprise told them I built it myself . Then asked would I build another . The answer of course is always no as I would not be able to price in the amount of time I spent in labour doing it , My tent was from evilbay and does have a height to floor of 1100mm which I do exceed but its no problem just can't peg in down properly in thoughs corners Its hardly noticeable and doesn't damage anything so I don't worry to much about it really,also today went and got a valuation done on it by a caravan mob for insurance they valued it at $15000.00 the guy went over it and said would I make more. No was the reply. So for the $8000.00 odd spent on it am very happy how its turned out .I am going down to the snowys on the Australia Day weekend with friends. then to the Kimberlys mid year for 9 weeks can't wait.

Cheers mark

So was it you I met at Dogman's Hut???

If I'd known I would've come and had a closer look at your camper - bugger! :(

markd2
1st February 2009, 12:44 PM
hi is that you Barry yes that was me at dogmans hut if you need any info PM me . you arrived home ok I gather was a great long weekend down there we hope to get back there soon .hope to see you again
cheers mark