PDA

View Full Version : sway bar disconnects/removal

2_door
26th February 2008, 02:38 PM
Hi

A mate of mine has suggested removal of the sway bars to help with articulation off road. It sounds like a great idea but I think it may have some effect on its on-road handling, especially cornering.

Now, I trust his word, but I was looking for some nput from those that may have tried this.

I could simply disconnect the sway bar front and rear and leave it in place and go for a burl around the neighbourhood, but I might be able to save myself the trouble.

any ideas :eek:

McDisco
26th February 2008, 02:47 PM
Shorty

What sort of disco do you drive? I have a series 2 Disco and I have fitted a Slick Rock Fabrications quick disconnect. It fits to the passenger side and with a lynch pin you can slide the connect off and disengage the swaybar. They actually come in pairs but you only need one to slacken the bar...

The onroad handling isnt shocking but you will notice ift dive into corners more and sway a bit more. Nothing to be too worried about though. I only take mine off when the going really gets interesting and more articulation is needed. Actually most of the time I forget to take it off! :D

It does make a difference though. I would get about another inch or two of droop to the front.

Cheers

Angus

waynep
26th February 2008, 06:48 PM
If you have a D1 you can make some quick disconnects up using hitch pins and a couple of other bits.
I have a thread in the projects section but removed the details due to some responders questioning the legality/insurance aspects of it.
But most people on D1's that want the extra travel just remove the sway bars altogether.
Personally, they stay on now.

100I
26th February 2008, 08:13 PM
It would depend on if you still have OE springs.
The first Discos had no swaybars and were renowned for body roll.
I might know of someone who has replaced the springs with LRA items, the fronts being 180lbs, rears 220lbs, and the rear swaybar is removed but front still in place. On road it actually handles better than factory. Offroad it runs rings around a stocker, even with a novice like SWMBO at the wheel.

2_door
27th February 2008, 07:45 AM
thanks guys. Waynep, i would be interested to know how to make those quick disconnects, any info would be appreciated. maybe a PM or email would suit?

100I, I am fitting OME 2" lift next week, so I am not sure about their poundage.

I am thinking of removing the rear bar all together and making the front a quick disconnect. A sort of compromise.