PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Td5 s Disco

mightgeta4be
1st March 2008, 05:49 AM
Any owners of MY2003 TD5 S Disco out there? Have found a couple for sale and before I investigate I was interested to know if the common faults with previous models were/are still evident. Items like the oil pump nut not loctited, oil in the harness to the E.C.U.. Does this vehicle have a flashable ECU or does the unit have to be replaced if a chip upgrade is required. Most of what I read suggests these models had most of the bugs ironed out and are reliable. Any comments about the self leveling suspension. Are there any threads that describe how this works and is the compressor able to be used as an on board compressor for pumping up tyres. Any comments, discussion would be appreciated

Graeme
1st March 2008, 06:14 AM
Oil pump bolt - supposedly fixed but I re-did mine anyway.

Oil in injector harness - not yet (150K) but only a simple job to change.

Flashable ECU - done.

SLS - can't comment as mine is all coils.

Pedro_The_Swift
1st March 2008, 07:11 AM
If a leak developes in the air line or bag the compressor will run continously to keep the car level, I have read some threads where this leads quickly to a stuffed compressor,, from that we can take the on-board compressor is NOT continously rated,, having said that--
nothing (standard)compares to air suspension on or off road.

McDisco
1st March 2008, 08:40 AM
If a leak developes in the air line or bag the compressor will run continously to keep the car level, I have read some threads where this leads quickly to a stuffed compressor,, from that we can take the on-board compressor is NOT continously rated,, having said that--
nothing (standard)compares to air suspension on or off road.

Except coil springs which do not rupture and break when your in the middle of no where! Air suspension is supposed to be great, but a lot of disco owners have been stranded when their air suspension fails. Maybe something to consider if you are wanting to travel more remotely. Coils are reliable.

Angus

BradM
1st March 2008, 12:45 PM
I have had mine since new and done 81,000klms.

1. Centre muffler internals collapsed, restricting boost. Replaced by LR

2. ABS Modulator unit failing intermittantly after 3 years giving the 3 lights - Replaced by Landrover.

3. Rear wheel bearing possibly has failed (Yesterday).

They are not too bad but make sure it has a new ABS Modulator in it and not the one it came from the factory with. They have a flashable ECU and mine has had the Remap. EGR Removed and muffler upgraded.

All in All not a bad vechile. Fantastic Tow horse. Economical 4X4 to run.

BradM

Graeme
2nd March 2008, 01:23 PM
... make sure it has a new ABS Modulator in it and not the one it came from the factory with.
Mine's original after 150K with build date 10/02.

Pedro_The_Swift
2nd March 2008, 01:33 PM
Except coil springs which do not rupture and break when your in the middle of no where! Air suspension is supposed to be great, but a lot of disco owners have been stranded when their air suspension fails. Maybe something to consider if you are wanting to travel more remotely. Coils are reliable.

Angus

yes!,, bring back the red flag!
leafs are more reliable than coils!
solid tyres are better than radials!

:angrylock:

Signal1
5th March 2008, 11:19 PM
They are not too bad but make sure it has a new ABS Modulator in it and not the one it came from the factory with. They have a flashable ECU and mine has had the Remap. EGR Removed and muffler upgraded.

In what way was it upgraded? Most reports I hear, owners remove the middle muffler and perhaps reduce to rear as well to perhaps a hotdog or similar. Curious to hear what you've done and if you would change anything?
Thanks,
Peter

Rosscoe68
7th March 2008, 08:27 PM
Exhaust totally removed and replaced with a 3" straight through from turbo back. was a little droney at cruise so put in a short 3" hotdog at rear only, no other mufflers, sounds good now and very open exhaust gives good throttle and turbo response, ECU is next for me. As for SLS, IMO you cant beat it, ihave it and no way i would go back to coils. those that swear by coils probly still beleive in the carburettor fairy :p
as for getting caught out in the middle ofnowhere due to a breakage , well thats what preventative maintenance and spare parts are for :)
Car has 172k on it, and no issues other than no CDL yet for me :( and a small amount of overun/looseness in the driveline somewhere.

mightgeta4be
11th March 2008, 07:31 AM
With regard to the SLS what sort of spares could be carried (obviously a spare air bag) In general what problems have people had. Regular checking at service intervals is this often enough. What generally happens to cause failures.