PDA

View Full Version : My old series 3

fraser130
1st March 2008, 04:36 PM
The other half was going through some photos today and found some pictures about 15 years old of me and my series 3 2.25 diesel and trailer taken the day we headed off to go to the 3 nuclear test blast craters (Emu Junction) 300k's west of Cooper Pedy.

olmate
1st March 2008, 05:55 PM
Nice mate :thumbsup:
Do you have any from the trek B)

LR V8
1st March 2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the pics. Looks like it was a good setup.

What was the trailer setup on - an old chassis or trailer ?

Pete

fraser130
1st March 2008, 06:31 PM
Long story, but basically the fellow I went with has become a "person non grata" since then and he was the "official potographer" of the trip, I haven't seen him for about 5 years and have no inclination to let him know what I am up to anymore.
The downside is all the photos of the trek, including some of a repair of a split along the bottom of the fuel tank done 200k's west of CP in the middle of the desert with a blow-torch and first-aid tape, dingoes, us getting lost because the firewall interfered with our compass(that was funny) and of course us parked in the centre of the blast craters at "Totem 1" and "Totem 2" and the airfield that serviced the area.
We found a great tin of a "whole chicken with gibblets".
Was a fantastic trip.
I had just rebuilt the engine myself, but got a friend to tighten the injectors, so we were heading across from broken Hill and the car started to sound like a steam train so I pulled over and we worked it out pretty quick, nipped them up and all was well for the rest of the trip. I remember we wrote a great diary entry at CP about dust as we had to sit through 2 dust storms in the back of the car, the dust was everywhere!

PS, we had the setup weighed just out of Portagudda and it came in at 2.7 tonnes, the 2.25 did okay considering!!!

Fraser

fraser130
1st March 2008, 07:14 PM
Pete, it was an old chassis that I cut and added a draw-bar. fitted 2 cut-off broken axles, carried 2 spares, and left the diff in the trailer as a spare.

Fraser