PDA

View Full Version : Scam or not a scam?

Chilly
7th March 2008, 09:28 AM
Hi,

been searching for a D3 and came across this advert. Not seen this scam before..so is it a scam or not?

Link to advert....

4WD Wagons (SUVs) For Sale: LAND ROVER DISCOVERY on Trading Post Online (http://www.autotrader.com.au/iteminfo/adnumber_WY2713245003_loc_locRZSQregtAVSCdistRZSQA VSCstateRZSQ9AVSCregRZSQ_off_0_sect_Automotive_sor t_otRZSQ0BJDZfdRZSQSellingPrice_sqt_0_srchby_minyr RZSQ2004AVSCmmbsRZSQMakeAVSCsrchbyRZSQmkmdlAVSCmkd lsRZSQLand+RoverMRFXDiscovery_stpg_1_subs_Used+Car s_)

Email reply from owner......

First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my car. I sell at this price(AU$11000) because i just finished the divorce with my husband. When the divorce has finished i own this car. Now as a women i don't need. This car is in excellent working conditions, no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions and comes with a clear title, 3 months transferable warranty. From the begining you have to know that for the payment I request ONLY secure pay, I prefer the payment to be done using eBay services. We will use a safe payment method because I am affiliated at eBay and I have a purchase protection account for $20.000. The final price that I want for this car is AU$11000 including shipping and handling.
I will wait your answer(if you are interested to buy) very soon!!

Well Ladies and Gentlemen......what do you think?

BigJon
7th March 2008, 09:29 AM
If you have to ask the question, you already should know the answer.

That link goes to an ad for a Disco II for $26 900. No mention of $11 000 or a Disco 3.

Chilly
7th March 2008, 09:51 AM
I guess I do know the answer but not seen this scam.

seems the ad has been removed. I'll see where this goes. Might be fun.

101RRS
7th March 2008, 09:54 AM
Am I missing something here - the ad is for a D2 - seems above board - e-mail seems unrelated to the vehicle - confused.

Garry

Chilly
7th March 2008, 10:13 AM
Hi Garry,

Looks like the ad has been removed???

jik22
7th March 2008, 10:45 AM
D3 for 11k and you need to ask? ;)

SuperMono
7th March 2008, 07:41 PM
Is it going to be shipped out of Nigeria?

Stepho_62
7th March 2008, 08:13 PM
There is an old saying.

"if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck , Chances r its a duck."

:D

WhiteD3
7th March 2008, 09:17 PM
This same thing happened last year and there's a thread here somewhere about it.

Scam

D3Jon
8th March 2008, 11:22 AM
A bloke I knew through the Westfield forum in the UK has a page on his web-site dedicated to his email responses to scammers from stuff he's been selling, it's a funny & good read:

Even if you don't read it all, check out the phoney bank cheques at the bottom of the page (see who he gets them to make them out to):

Click Here... (http://www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/temp/scammers.html)

Jon

jik22
8th March 2008, 03:26 PM
A bloke I knew through the Westfield forum in the UK has a page on his web-site dedicated to his email responses to scammers from stuff he's been selling, it's a funny & good read:

Click Here... (http://www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/temp/scammers.html)

Jon

That's fantastic. The first had me in fits, but this bit, being slightly car related, sealed it for me:

----- Original Message -----
To: "'patrick lewil'"
Subject: RE: payment/shipping........
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:20:12 +0100

FFS, yeah, sounds great, the car has a couple of minor flaws which
I should point out before we continue with the transaction. Firstly,
there is a slight dent above the passenger door handle. Also, the
right rear indicator has a hairline crack. Finally, the engine has a
fist sized hole where piston number three exited the block at 14,000rpm.

Is any of this a problem or can we still go ahead with the
transaction?

gee.

__________________________________________________ ____

gee_fin@spam.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 27 October 2004 23:46
To: gee_fin
Subject: RE: payment/shipping........

Hello,
Thanks for the mail.I don't think they are problems since you said
they are just minor.I will like us to go ahead with the transaction.
Thanks and regards, Patrick.

Chilly
8th March 2008, 04:47 PM
ha ha!

Only read the first one.

Great response.

Now off to read some more.