PDA

View Full Version : tacho no work

disco gazza
12th March 2008, 11:23 AM
Hi guys
Picked my 200 tdi up from my mechanic today after he had done the timing belt.

I noticed 1/2 way home that the tacho isnt working.;)

Can anyone point me in the right direction of which wire it is that services the tacho...

It was working before it went in and the mechanic also said that it was working.

Thanks

gazza

mcrover
12th March 2008, 11:33 AM
The Tach is run off the alternator if that helps.:D

SPROVER
12th March 2008, 12:44 PM
When my taco stopped working it turned out to be that the alternator was on its way out.It was working intermittently and then stopped altogether.It could also be a loose wire on the back of the alternator.

12th March 2008, 07:41 PM
Recently replaced my alternatorwith a 70amp jobby 4 $197:D , it works a treat but, the tacho is now slightly out:(. At 100kph it used 2 (correctly) read 2300rpm, now it only reads 1800rpm, anyone???????. Sorry 4 thread hijack.
Cheers Dean.

disco gazza
13th March 2008, 09:42 AM
Hi guys,

Have checked the wires on the back.....:)

They're all good....

So it could be the alt.. on the way out....hmmmmmm.

I'll get it checked out at the electricians when I go see him in a cupla weeks..

gazza

SPROVER
13th March 2008, 01:53 PM
Another thing you can do to check if it is your alternator, is to get a multimeter and check to see if you are getting any charge at your battery.I think from memory your volts should read about 14 when the car is running.

disco gazza
24th March 2008, 02:29 PM
still no tacho.:dbcry:
a mate says that it runs off the injector pump.
i say it runs off the alternator(having read it in my manual)
so who is correct???

gazza
92tdi disco

disco gazza
8th April 2008, 04:41 PM
Hi all,
It was the alternator ..........;)

Yesterday,I unlocked the car,put my work bag in the back,jumped into the drivers seat,put key in ignition,turned the key..........nothin.............bugger:(

I knew it wasn't the battery,cause thats less than 12 months old.....so I put that on charge,so I'd have some power this morning......

So I took my car down to the auto electrician to swap( I thought he was going to rebuild my MM) the alternator over to a Bosch....

The only numbers I could find on it are EE14v 3
Then below that 9 190 067 005

Will ring the guy tomorrow to find out what the output is...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.....:D:p

gazza 92 tdi disco

MacMan
9th April 2008, 07:29 AM
Recently replaced my alternatorwith a 70amp jobby 4 $197:D , it works a treat but, the tacho is now slightly out:(. At 100kph it used 2 (correctly) read 2300rpm, now it only reads 1800rpm, anyone???????. Sorry 4 thread hijack.
Cheers Dean.

I'll put mine on the replacement alternator having a different sized pulley. If it's larger, it rotates more slowly relative to the crank speed, giving a lower reading.