PDA

View Full Version : Double skin wagon fuel tanks

nobbydoldrums
15th March 2008, 03:09 PM
G'day folks,

I've been trying to get hold of a decent (rear) station wagon tank for my 109" series III. The current one leaks like a sieve, and the s/hand one I've recently bought, cleaned and painted, is leaking from the break in the outer skin where the drain plug protrudes.

Is this a typical problem with the wagon tanks? Also, what is the purpose of the double skin if it doesn't seal? Is it merely for strength?

I'm not sure whether to try and get one of them repaired or try pot luck with another second hand one. I'm sure a repair wouldn't be cheap!

Cheers,

Darren

Lotz-A-Landies
15th March 2008, 04:25 PM
I'm not sure whether to try and get one of them repaired or try pot luck with another second hand one. I'm sure a repair wouldn't be cheap!

Cheers,

Darren
Darren

Why not use a sealant, there are a few brands on the market, usually used in aviation. This is POR 15 brand PPC - Tank Sealer (http://www.ppc.au.com/coatings_sealer.htm)

About the tank manufacture. Yes the outer frame is only for strength and penetration protection. The tank itself is only folded and soldered galvanised sheet. The more recent tanks have a plastic liner in place of the folded tinplate.

Diana

JDNSW
16th March 2008, 06:15 AM
.... The tank itself is only folded and soldered galvanised sheet. The more recent tanks have a plastic liner in place of the folded tinplate.

Diana

Actually tinplated not galvanised - as you have in the second sentence!

John

101RRS
16th March 2008, 10:25 AM
I have used to POR tank sealer - is a great product and will probably do the job.

Garry

Lotz-A-Landies
16th March 2008, 11:39 AM
Actually tinplated not galvanised - as you have in the second sentence!

JohnThanks John for pointing that out, I was being lazy and didn't think anyone would notice.

Wont do it again! :(

Diana

numpty
16th March 2008, 12:32 PM
Our old Stage 1 tank leaked as well. And where it rotted was on the soldered spots which attach the second/bash plate. We had the bottom of the tank cut out and a new plate welded in.

LandyAndy
16th March 2008, 07:38 PM
I have a couple of Stage1s down the back,both have their tanks intact,one is the original the other an alloy custom one.
You are welcome to make a reasonable offer on either.No idea of the petrol holding capacity as I bought both as non goers.
Im in Williams,best to arrange to look at them and see if they suit.Send me a PM,1 1/4hours drive from Armadale.Worth a look as there is plenty of good stuff on both vehicles.
Andrew