PDA

View Full Version : rear bars..bent and broke mine

2_door
15th March 2008, 07:24 PM
broke and bent my rear bar today whilst out and about in the hills behind Hobart :o I have discovered that the lights in the bumper bar are not needed as all the lights are covered in the lights in the rear pillar.

So, I am looking for inspiration and ideas for a rear bar. I could go out and buy a Kaymar bar or something like that but I dont have the reddies, so I am looking at making one....an idea's and pics would be appreciated :D

it must have a good departure angle or I will just break that one too :eek:

mcrover
15th March 2008, 07:31 PM
I think you will find that the lights are in the bar to make it legal to have the spare on the door.

Is in Vic anyway :cool:

They are pretty simple to make out of some RHS but they normaly end up looking pretty crap.

DiscoClax
15th March 2008, 08:21 PM
I got tired of re-attaching my plastic bumper ends every time I went out and tip-toeing through stuff to avoid damage. So I found a TJM rear bar on eBay and now I'm happy :) I looked at making my own as well, but considered that my skills didn't match my expectations, despite my delusions of grandeur...

P.S. IMHO - The more lights you've got on the back, the less likely it is that some idiot will miss it and plough into you.

sclarke
15th March 2008, 08:23 PM
I have a PERFECT rear bar off a D1 pre 94......
All you need to do is cut the holes for the lights

mcrover
15th March 2008, 08:24 PM
I got tired of re-attaching my plastic bumper ends every time I went out and tip-toeing through stuff to avoid damage. So I found a TJM rear bar on eBay and now I'm happy :) I looked at making my own as well, but considered that my skills didn't match my expectations, despite my delusions of grandeur...

Was that a month or so ago that you got the TJM bar?

If so, I was bidding on it as well :(

DiscoClax
15th March 2008, 08:36 PM
Nah, I got mine a bit over a year ago from a bloke in Sydney (I think?) I remember it was interstate and it cost nearly $100 just in freight. Worth it though. TJM scrapped the tooling a couple of years ago. Used is only option.

P.S. I've got a perfect* D1 '94 rear bar (with light holes) surplus to requirements. Offers taken :) *One of the bumper caps has it's retention "assisted" by a hidden cable tie, otherwise straight, true, unscratched, etc.

2_door
15th March 2008, 09:04 PM
can you please post a pic of your TJM bar DiscoClax ?? :D

DiscoClax
15th March 2008, 09:17 PM
Here's the pic from the eBay ad (burgundy vehicle), and some pics I found at the time on the web. And I just found one of mine taken a while ago (Agean Blue vehicle).

101RRS
15th March 2008, 09:22 PM
This looks Ok - just add lights - dunno where the pic came from - has sat for a year or two in my photo library.

Ken
15th March 2008, 11:53 PM
Thats a damn shame TJM dont make the rear bar anymore Id have one in a flash

2_door
16th March 2008, 07:32 AM
thanks for that, it gives me somewhere to start :D

MacMan
16th March 2008, 10:50 AM
rte product page (http://www.rovertym.com/rrrear.htm)

I was planning to make one like the Rovertym bar some time back, but have never found time to do it. Still want to! Especially like the side protection it adds to, and tidies up the panels that need to be trimmed for slightly oversize wheels.

DiscoClax
16th March 2008, 04:20 PM
Yep, I'm very happy with it. I got mine off a bloke who had upgraded from D1 to D2 and tried to transfer it over. Wouldn't fit, so he bought another TJM straight away. I'd call that a strong endorsement :)

I don't know if they still do the D2 version...? Might be worth checking sooner rather than later as I thought they were going to wind that one up soon as well.

DaveS3
20th March 2008, 07:34 PM
The lights (Blinkers) are only in the bar on the later discos (ie updates) due to the Australian Design Rules updates. It is so the blinkers are unobstructed at a certain degree (~35? maybe) to cars towards the rear of the vehicle.

You'd be hard pressed to be stung by that.

Mine is getting blinker tail lights, no spare on the door and no lower 1/4 panels :)

2_door
30th March 2008, 06:43 PM
do you think a standard Rangie bar from the early models would bolt straigt on. I know its not structurally stronger than the original, but they seem a bit smaller in cross section.

I have removed the bar altogether now, saturdays trip bent it some more and now it just looks stupid on the back.

I really need something that sits up high and out of the way near the corners of the car. Thats where it seems to be getting hit and bending, any idea's?:D

INter674
30th March 2008, 08:10 PM
check out outers

Outer Limits 4x4 Board :: View topic - Disco Plus 35s (http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/viewtopic.php?t=101864&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=)

2_door
30th March 2008, 08:41 PM
thanks for the link, I wasnt aware of that forum :D will have to go back and have a dig around.

thats the sort of thing I had in mind eventually. I like the tow hitch being so high, when its underslung like standard ones, it cops a pounding and will catch on stuff and limit forward progress one day. I would also like to swing the spare off the bar instead of the door and also a jerry jan holder off the opposite side. I dont mind cutting the bottom off the rear mudguard and wrap something around there for some strong protection, I just dont have the engineering/welding ability to make such stuff, but my old man is pretty handy like that, problem - he is 2000k away in Brissy

I was thinking in the short term of fitting something simple (thats where the RR bar comes in) that kinda looks okay and hides all the uglyness that is exposed when the rear bar is taken off. BUT, it has to keep up high and out of the way so it doesnt get bent.

I am in a quandry what to do, hence the advice request :eek:

Scouse
30th March 2008, 09:57 PM
Langy has fitted an ARB rear bar from a Range Rover onto his D1. It offers great protection but also increases the overhang.
As well as being bl00dy strong, it also makes a great rear step :).

2_door
31st March 2008, 07:00 AM
thanks Scotty, will look into that