PDA

View Full Version : Suspension setup

knotty7
17th March 2008, 06:42 PM
Hi all

I just purchased a 96 series 1 disco 300tdi, and wanted to know of suspension setups. Im looking at building a bit of a rig ( bigger the better )
All tips will be very welcomed

Slunnie
17th March 2008, 06:47 PM
How big are you after? Proposed specs?

knotty7
17th March 2008, 07:53 PM
How big are you after? Proposed specs?

Not sure, but I would like to put 33 inch tyres on at least

langy
17th March 2008, 08:07 PM
Have a bit of a search through the threads (Advanced search) and you'll find that a lot of people have initially used a 2 inch spring lift to get 31's underneath the Disco, and then gone on to another 2 or 3 inch body lift for 33 inch wheels. But a body lift involves brake and other mods, so it's a bit more involved. The 300Tdi copes OK with 31's ( I used to have 31x10.5's) , but I believe that once you go up further you have to start thinking about 4.11 diffs. ( or a defender 1.4 TC?)

I'm sure others will chip in with what they have and how they find it on a 300tdi - remember it's a good little engine, but no v8.

PeterM
18th March 2008, 02:55 PM
Looking at the suspension, stick with 2-3" lift, remember that you are effecting the driveline angles and the bushes. I have gone a 1" body lift with flares and that will see me through up to 35s, at least as far as space goes.

At present I still have std gearing and you have two choices here. Transfer case gears or diffs. If you are going to be putting lockers in then what is available to support your gearing choices if you go for the diff. Changing the t/c gears will likely be a little cheaper but then you still will have to open the diffs up for lockers. Defenders seem to go allright still with stock gearing and the big tyres, bearing in mind that they have a different high range to the discos.

trobbo
18th March 2008, 04:30 PM
I have a 94 disco with a V8 and run 35 simex's.
The right hand rear tire scrubs (but not the left - go figure?)
Modifications to fit the 35's include:
3 inch spring lift and 50 mm body lift,
Flares from LRA. (get the XL ones)
4.11 cwp,
modified arb bar
Jac mac axles front and rear

When doing the body lift you can get away without lifting the bars and my rear is still standard.

the body lift is a relatively straightforward process, but things to look out for are:
· Radiator shroud will foul the fan and needs to be lifted.
· brake lines need to be either extended or you can usually drop the mounts down.
· Rear seat belt anchor points need to be lengthened.
· as well as placing blocks where the body is mounted to the chasis, there are a couple of mounts either side of the rear spring that need reinforcing.
I believe Andrew Richmond may have a kit for it.

Please note also that it is illegal to body lift a vehicle with airbags. You will require expensive CV's to fit larger axles on a vehicle with ABS

trobbo
18th March 2008, 04:33 PM
:oops2:
WTF - sorry about the last post. I have no idea what happened and it wont let me edit

mcrover
18th March 2008, 04:50 PM
Hi all

I just purchased a 96 series 1 disco 300tdi, and wanted to know of suspension setups. Im looking at building a bit of a rig ( bigger the better )

By the bigger the better statment then It doesnt sound like legalities are your biggest worry anyway.

As soon as you susp lift much more than 2" yu will have to think about caster correction and this can be achieved by either redrilling the holes for the swivel hubs or using caster correcting bushes.

Much over 31" tyres and ratio's come into it. Some guys go to Toyota diffs (Im not sure why, maybe stronger, maybe better ratios maybe both) and some as said before go to a deefa transfer case gears but I think this only changes high range gearing but I could be wrong (someone will correct me) so other people go to the 4.11's (from 3.54).

A mate of mine has a 96 300TDI disco manual with 4" Ridepro susp lift (and remote res shocks), 2" body, flares and runs 35" simex's and has put in 4.11's and it pulls away from me easy and I run 32"s and standard diffs.

For the sake of a bit of stability and to get some steering lock you will need to get offset rims or use spacers (not recomended).

Hope it helps you out.

knotty7
18th March 2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the input everyone, Just another question for those who cut the gaurds to put lra flares on, Is it easy????:(

PeterM
18th March 2008, 09:49 PM
Much easier with a 3dr than a 5dr.

LRHybrid100
19th March 2008, 02:20 PM
come on Knotty - do the search!!!

Pretty sure a member called DiscoWhite has done all the hard work in spring research!!! ;):p:D

I find LRA springs good - I have a 3" lift that works well with 33" BFG MTs and chopped guards with LRA flares.

LRH

knotty7
20th March 2008, 06:21 PM
come on Knotty - do the search!!!

Pretty sure a member called DiscoWhite has done all the hard work in spring research!!! ;):p:D

I find LRA springs good - I have a 3" lift that works well with 33" BFG MTs and chopped guards with LRA flares.

LRH

I cant do everything my brother tells me. Can I??:D

DaveS3
20th March 2008, 07:28 PM
Hi all

2'' Springs.
79series Toyota shocks in the front, GQ in the rear with a eye to pin converter.

Simple and easy

Dave

LRHybrid100
26th March 2008, 08:09 AM
I cant do everything my brother tells me. Can I??:D

Mate - if it works go for it, just dont make the bugger too stiff trying to get too much lift.

LRH