PDA

View Full Version : stuffed Turbo 02 td5 89,000klms

marky_83
18th March 2008, 11:32 AM
Hi there im new to this forum scene. ive taken the disco in to mlr in melb after struggling to make it up the westgate bridge, i feared the worst. now not knowing much about turbos, mlr have informed me that the turbo is stuffed. im awaiting a price for new one or should i opt for a reco'd one. (i always let it idle for 30-40 seconds before turning it off.)normaly get car serviced at les Richmd. Can anyone offer there opinion or pass on a contact for repairs........im shattered as the tranny is on the way out as well after 89,oooklms.:wasntme:

any advice would be welcome. All the best Mark

marky_83
18th March 2008, 11:35 AM
also forgot to say, that turbo still made the winding noise on shutdown.......also i thought that if a turbo went the motor would blow heaps of smoke etc and run like a mule?

feral
18th March 2008, 12:09 PM
also forgot to say, that turbo still made the winding noise on shutdown.......also i thought that if a turbo went the motor would blow heaps of smoke etc and run like a mule?

Are you sure you are not confusing the turbo noise on shutdown with the centrifuge oil filter? This oil filter spins on for some time after shutdown.

Something doesn't add up here as I have'nt heard of turbo and auto failure after only 89,000k's.

marky_83
18th March 2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply Feral, ive been searching the forum since i put the post on, i think it is the centrifuge oil filter noise after all, this is my first turbo vechicle so i automaticaly assumed it was the turbo. when i bought the car i had to change the crown/pinion, all that was fine. but recently towing the boat auto overheated, pulled over and let cool down. no more dramas, got it checked out Northern Diffs in melb and verdict from my mate there was they had abnormal amount of metal filings in the oil when changed. and it shows advanced wear. for the klms it has done. diagnosis pc/logged the overheat alarm from memory but that was it. that was cleared and its been fine for the last 4 months since that occured and i tow 2.5t with it most weekends.

im at a loss though when it comes to the turbo, there were no signs of it going. always serviced on schedule, never abused or pushed harder then 3300rpm. always left to run prior to shutdown. cant talk for the previous owner though...... me thinks it was abused more then initial mechanical survey indicated.

LandyAndy
18th March 2008, 09:12 PM
I doubt its the turbo,bet an intercooler hose issue!!!
Get somebody else to have a look!!!
Andrew

Scouse
18th March 2008, 10:14 PM
I doubt its the turbo,bet an intercooler hose issue!!!
Get somebody else to have a look!!!
AndrewThat was my first thought too but MLR should know what they're on about (I would hope, hey Sniegy ;)).

sniegy
19th March 2008, 08:25 PM
Hey Scouse..Yeh!

The turbo was seized, the impeller was naft..
So it at least needed a turbo...not sure if anything else...
Tomorrow is another day...

RonMcGr
20th March 2008, 06:57 AM
...also i thought that if a turbo went the motor would blow heaps of smoke etc and run like a mule?

That happens on two stroke Diesels :D

Scouse
20th March 2008, 08:34 AM
The turbo was seized, the impeller was naft..
So it at least needed a turbo...not sure if anything else...
Tomorrow is another day...Turbo it is then. Lets hope that's all it is.

I thought MLR would have been right :p.

marky_83
25th March 2008, 10:05 AM
Qucik update on things, seemed it was the turbo that went 100%......further investigation by mlr and they discovered that the exaust baffle is stuffed.

could some one tell me what the exaust baffle does?

Mcuh appreciated, i googled it but am just confusing myself.

Cheers

justinc
25th March 2008, 05:48 PM
Lets also hope that the oil isn't getting contaminated with diesel, as this will destroy turbo's VERY quickly...
JC