PDA

View Full Version : The BAcon Bomb goes off!

Scallops
22nd March 2008, 11:24 AM
Distinguished Colleagues,

There was a thread back some about a recipe for a Bacon Bomb - well, I made some for Easter Saturday breakfast this morning in our Cobb - wow - they were great!

Couldn't get full size field mushrooms so just used large buttons - pull out stem, add egg, slice tomatoe, bit of cheese, top with bacon - in Cobb for 1 hour - now - I know it didn't happen without pics :rulez:...

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2624/dsc0384qa7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2624/dsc0384qa7.b2e3f1aca4.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=504&i=dsc0384qa7.jpg)

CowsGoMoo
22nd March 2008, 11:48 AM
Looks good. I just need to get some big mushies.

I don't have a Cobb. Reckon I could do it in the covered BBQ.

Xavie
22nd March 2008, 12:30 PM
Lol, it may taste good but I don't think it looks good.

Xav

Tango51
22nd March 2008, 01:08 PM
The cooking times just don't match, it doesn't matter what you do the mushroom is going to take ages longer than the egg and bacon is always going to be kinda steamed from the moisture released from the mushroom.
Fatally flawed I'm afraid, but doesn't mean you can't have some fun.
It isn't going to hurt anyone.

Tango51
22nd March 2008, 01:13 PM
I should add, try frying the bacon first and setting aside to keep warm, fry the mushroom (Swiss brown is tastier, field second choice) gently, add a squeeze of lemon juice, black pepper and a dab of butter, when it's close fry tomato and egg and then pack it up how you want it.
If the bacon is on the bottom it overcooks and the mushroom, like the one in the photo, is uncooked.
Alternatively, cook the mushy till it is almost done, dark and limp, then do the bacon bottom egg in the top thing.
HTH

Scallops
22nd March 2008, 01:14 PM
The cooking times just don't match, it doesn't matter what you do the mushroom is going to take ages longer than the egg and bacon is always going to be kinda steamed from the moisture released from the mushroom.

What a load of bollocks, Tang - it was great. :p

Tango51
22nd March 2008, 01:27 PM
LOL Scallops, as long as you enjoyed it mate, but please don't serve it to me
lol
Try my way tho, see if you like it better...if you want.:angel:

Scallops
22nd March 2008, 07:43 PM
LOL Scallops, as long as you enjoyed it mate, but please don't serve it to me
lol
Try my way tho, see if you like it better...if you want.:angel:

I'm sure your way is grand - and thanks for taking the time to post :) - but here is the link to the original post,

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/camping-tucker-bush-basics/51002-bacon-bomb.html

- which I tried this morning. Well - It was really good - my wife loved it too - and you can see from the original post that at least 2 other people have had success doing it this way. You know - there can be 2 ways to do something. But if you don't like this method - no probs - I promise not to serve it up for you if ever we share breakfast. :D

Tango51
22nd March 2008, 11:23 PM
I'm sure your way is grand - and thanks for taking the time to post :) - but here is the link to the original post,

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/camping-tucker-bush-basics/51002-bacon-bomb.html

- which I tried this morning. Well - It was really good - my wife loved it too - and you can see from the original post that at least 2 other people have had success doing it this way. You know - there can be 2 ways to do something. But if you don't like this method - no probs - I promise not to serve it up for you if ever we share breakfast. :D

Scallops, thanks for the very delicate way in which you pointed out my rank rudeness, I'm afraid I owe you and others this apology.
You were very graceful and courtly, perhaps more than I deserved.
I'm afraid it is innocent on my part, a flaw where I think that being frank is always appreciated.
I'm a bit of a fool there.
I don't retract my advice, but I was abrupt and rude in giving it, sorry cobber.

Scallops
23rd March 2008, 08:35 AM
Scallops, thanks for the very delicate way in which you pointed out my rank rudeness, I'm afraid I owe you and others this apology.
You were very graceful and courtly, perhaps more than I deserved.
I'm afraid it is innocent on my part, a flaw where I think that being frank is always appreciated.
I'm a bit of a fool there.
I don't retract my advice, but I was abrupt and rude in giving it, sorry cobber.

No worries, mate - and I'm going to try your way next. :) Along with plenty of the other great recipes you have posted. ;) And if we do get to share breakfast some day - you can cook - I'm better at the dishes anyway. :D

23rd March 2008, 09:06 AM

Cmon Tango, cook 1 up & take the photo ;):p
Cheers Dean.

Tango51
23rd March 2008, 12:48 PM
Would love to, but I existed without a digital camera till a few weeks ago when I got one as a gift, but it won't talk to the Mac.
They just don't get on. Maybe I'm not introducing them the right way....:confused:

graceysdad
24th March 2008, 09:24 PM
Maybe you could try quickly frying one side of the bacon, cook your egg and mushys real quick and add these to the cooked of the bacon and then cook it in the pan on the raw sides, should be ok, mind I hate mushies but it sounds nice

Scallops
25th March 2008, 10:09 AM
Maybe you could try quickly frying one side of the bacon, cook your egg and mushys real quick and add these to the cooked of the bacon and then cook it in the pan on the raw sides, should be ok, mind I hate mushies but it sounds nice

I guess the idea behind the original incarnation of the bacon Bomb was, and I didn't invent it mind - it was from another post here and mentioned above - to be simple. Pull the stalk, crack in the egg - add the cheese, tomatoe and bacon - put it all in camp oven and cook. No extra pots and pans etc - no extra cooking to be done - no adding this to that at stages of the process. And it works fine this way - I know cos I did it :D Others have done it from the original post - they too report is was great. The shroom is cooked fine, as is the bacon, the tomatoe, etc etc. Perhaps a camp oven is unique in the way it cooks, but...

I guess we could dream up a million ways to cook this dish - but this way is great and it does work. :)

Yorkshire_Jon
26th March 2008, 05:59 AM
Fatally floored it may or may not be... Who cares... Improvise to make it right...

I did, even with a hangover... and it was bloody great!

Thinking about it a bit more...
I reckon this recipe is like a Land Rover, fixable with a hammer and ingenuity, fatally floored, but loved by everyone!!!

Roll on next Sunday morning breaky!!

The ho har's
3rd April 2008, 04:17 PM
No worries, mate - and I'm going to try your way next. :) Along with plenty of the other great recipes you have posted. ;) And if we do get to share breakfast some day - you can cook - I'm better at the dishes anyway. :D

If we do meet up on our adventures in 7 weeks (getting excited yet!!!!) please don't cook this for us we hate mushrooms
mrs ho har :no2:

Bushie
3rd April 2008, 07:25 PM
........................... we hate mushrooms
mrs ho har :no2:

Same here - bloody reproductive system of a fungus :eek:

Martyn

Disco300Tdi
8th April 2008, 01:12 PM
Tried both recipes last weekend,,,I found the original the better of the two..;)
Another breakfast mushroom dish we also enjoy is the "Mushrooms Kilpatrick", rip the stem off, fill with diced bacon, add worcestershire sauce, place in the camp oven for 6.5 mins.....enjoy

Pedro_The_Swift
8th April 2008, 01:22 PM
gees Gav,, now I've drooled all over my keyboard!!:TakeABow:

seqfisho
8th April 2008, 03:20 PM
Fantastically simple and sounds very tasty, I will try it soon.

As for it not being technically correct, who gives a toss:o

I also keep red wine in the fridge, even cab sav's:p

incisor
8th April 2008, 04:01 PM
I also keep red wine in the fridge, even cab sav's:p

YOU WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!

so do i :P

The ho har's
8th April 2008, 04:36 PM
Hey scollops

I think you have upset incisor just a tad by starting this thread :eek::eek:

Mrs ho har :D:D

champers is chilling just nicely

only 6 weeks to go yeeeehaaaa

Scallops
9th April 2008, 11:24 AM
Tried both recipes last weekend,,,I found the original the better of the two..;)

Thanks mate - It's good to hear someone else enjoying it. :)