PDA

View Full Version : Roof lining

dmdigital
22nd March 2008, 09:42 PM
Well its finally happened to my 5yo D2a, same as happened to my D1, the roof lining is saging. No longer have an upholsterer in town:mad:

Is it something you can do yourself?
If I was to get it done professionaly, say when I next drive out, how long should it take? Less than a day? :confused:

Doesn't look a big job to remove, just very fiddly - i.e. time consuming.

VladTepes
23rd March 2008, 02:47 PM
The obvious answer would be to live somewhere else.

justinc
23rd March 2008, 03:30 PM
We get all ours done by a trimmer, and he usually has the vehicle overnight, but if I got it to him the night before, and prebooked with enough notice, there isn't a drama getting it done in a day.As you say, fiddly and best done by a motor trimmer with all the right gear I think.

JC

procrastination inc
23rd March 2008, 04:50 PM
Justin, when you've had them relined, have you had any recurring failures?

It looks to me like the foam between the cloth and the backing board has degraded. They haven't kept the same design for the D2's have they?

justinc
23rd March 2008, 05:07 PM
Justin, when you've had them relined, have you had any recurring failures?

It looks to me like the foam between the cloth and the backing board has degraded. They haven't kept the same design for the D2's have they?

No, all have been fine. I just had my LSE done, and he even had a VERY close matching foam backed fabric in stock:D:D in that cream colour.
Very happy with the results from them so far. I've sent heaps of our customers there, and apart from once when he was away and someone else did the job, all have been perfect. About an average of $350 including removal and refitting.
AFAIcan see, the D2 is the same:( but us not being in the tropics, haven't seen a saggy one yet.

JC

Stepho_62
23rd March 2008, 06:12 PM
G'day

Mine sagged a couple of weks ago and I contemplated doing it myself. I rang a snoozer here in Brownsville n he said for a Cab Chassis he do it for $120.

I dropped it off in the morning n he had it finished by lunch time. Relined it with a furry short pile carpety stuff. Nice job. Went back to pick it up n he charges me $132. :mad:

Y can't he just say 132 n be done with it? Like I care about how much it costs with or without tax.

Bloody Queenslanders. :nazilock:

procrastination inc
23rd March 2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks JC, I'll take mine to the upholsterers.

Steve sad a good experience is bittered by GST.

I'd be thrilled if the job costs less than 200

29dinosaur
23rd March 2008, 07:53 PM
Does every series disco or LR sag in the roof lining???? If not when did they stop with the faulty production or does one expect a D3 to sag as well?

dmdigital
23rd March 2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks everyone, so for the next question...

Does anyone know a good trimmer between Katherine and Melbourne that could do it in about 3 months time?

Stepho_62
23rd March 2008, 10:41 PM
Does every series disco or LR sag in the roof lining???? If not when did they stop with the faulty production or does one expect a D3 to sag as well?

Dunno about the D3 but the bloke that did mine said he had done just about every type of LR.

He told me a really funny story about a bloke with a late 70's RR. Aparently he took it in to get it fixed when it collapsed on his head. He told the upholsterer it had been like it for about 5 years. It had finally got to the stage where the last bit had fallen inwards, the bit over his head.:eek2:

:D

Roadrunner230
17th July 2016, 06:59 PM
It seems that its our temp here in Aus and it happens to all sort of cars. Had a Commodore done about 12 months ago. cost 180 and took a day. out local guy charges 350.00 for landrovers so he will be doing it as its a pain of a job

knuts2au
18th July 2016, 08:17 PM
Mine had started sagging where the sunroof goes so i put some plastic "christmas tree" plugs in the corners, colour match was good hasn't sagged any further and the plugs look like they belong.

thai_tiger
18th July 2016, 08:42 PM
just had the roof lining done by a trimmer. A bit surprised to see that they had joined two pieces together it now has a seam left to right inline with the storage pockets, they tell me that they can longer source material wide enough so have to make a join. If I wanted one piece would have to use felt. Oh well, it will sag again in a bit so will get done correctly next time. anyone had the same problem or have I been dudded.

Bohica
18th July 2016, 08:45 PM
Mine too has this join that goes through the rear map pockets. I took the headliner out and had an upholsterer replace the material part. Not too tricky to take out, and you can drive around without the headliner in the car.

Pierre
19th July 2016, 10:57 AM
When you are in Melbourne, if the lining lasts that long, I'll hook you up with a good trimmer.

PM sent

Pete

Bohica
19th July 2016, 11:11 AM
When you are in Melbourne, if the lining lasts that long, I'll hook you up with a good trimmer.

PM sent

Pete

Now you tell me.

FisherX
19th July 2016, 12:56 PM
Living up here in Cairns I'm no stranger to the odd saggy roof lining.

ALL cars do it up here. You can tell if it is going to start falling if you press your finger to the roof lining and it leaves a finger dent in the foam that means its on its way down soon.

Recovering the roof lining is really not that hard and easily done at home. Any Rubber shop or Auto upholster will have a few different colours in stock. You can even order some on Ebay. Most popular colours are light grey or cream. The basic cream colour looks good in the D2. Make sure you get the wide one cause of the deep sculpture of the D2 roof and buy 3m. It's better to have too much than not enough. The last lot I bought last month when I did my Jaguar was $32 per meter. Got it at Jenkins Rubber Shop.

I did my D2 a few years back and it took about 4 hours start to finish. The roof lining comes out very easily. Just be careful with the A & B pillar trims. Usually a little brittle. The rear side window cover are just screws and push studs.

I use the "Sikaflex" brand sprayable contact adhesive from Bunnings for about $17 for a litre. 1 litre is enough for 1 roof. Your can just use it straight in a normal gravity spray gun and clean it out with GP thinners.

I don't like the stuff in the spray cans, such as Kwik Grip or 3M high tak :mad: They don't seam to set and stay tacky so they don't stick the edges of recesses in well enough and they lift.

When you get the roof lining out it's easy enough just to peel off the fabric. I use a wire brush to clean off the foam backing. Makes a hell of a mess so have a vacuum on standby. Any dents you find can just be filled with a smear of car bog for that smooth finish. I bit of fiberglass resin can be used on the top side if there are an creases.

Working gradually along the length, 10" at a time to be safe, from front to rear. Spray on the glue in an even THIN coat on both sides ( A thick coat will soak into the foam and you'll see it ) Give the glue time to tack off and gently press and smooth the new material onto the cleaned roof lining backing board. (You can use a compressed air blow gun to get help push into the fiddly bits)

Now you've done the side you see, flip it over (on a clean surface) and do the edges of the upper side in the same method. When it's time to cut the holes for the fittings to go back on I've found that you don't need to cut out the full size holes just poke a scribe though where the screws are and just put the screws in. Just a small slit is enough for the penetrations like the sunvisor springs.

Put it back in the car and job done for another 10 years.

Don't have before, but this is after

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/fisherx-albums-disco-picture5833-img-3378.jpg

And this is the old girl on the CREB. We miss her greatly (the Disco that is, the wife is still hanging in there)

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/fisherx-albums-disco-picture5834-img-2738.jpg

Pierre
19th July 2016, 06:05 PM
Now you tell me.

I did tell you, my man.

Roadrunner230
12th September 2016, 08:10 PM
OK finished the roof lining and the guy used the same stuff they use in land cruisers. Did a great job and cost 340. Took him around 5 hours. Did I mention he did a bloody great job. So pleased.

acgmarketing
17th September 2016, 06:42 AM
Roadrunner. Who did your lining?

CraigE
17th September 2016, 11:48 AM
Mate your trimmer is telling furphys, there are plenty of options in the right width, but is dependent on what your want and match to original. Foam backed is limited in width with widest being 165cm (which should be wide enough, just) that I could find. Most are not replacing with the foam backed stuff, but just using a felt like material to avoid further failure. The wholesaler indicated most Upholsterers are advising staright material over foam backed. I have just bought felt to do my sons and is just over 2m wide, so more than wide enough to do a D2. Going a much darker colour graphite to contrast, but they had some that was a very close match to original in 2m widths. They had plenty of options in stock and colours. Vinyl was a bit narrower ranging from 135cm - 165cm. Plus many other materials. That was from an Upholstery Wholesaler.
Cheers
Craig

just had the roof lining done by a trimmer. A bit surprised to see that they had joined two pieces together it now has a seam left to right inline with the storage pockets, they tell me that they can longer source material wide enough so have to make a join. If I wanted one piece would have to use felt. Oh well, it will sag again in a bit so will get done correctly next time. anyone had the same problem or have I been dudded.

thai_tiger
17th September 2016, 06:31 PM
Its holding up well so far, the colour match is perfect its just the join I don't like but because I'm not looking straight at it I'm not thinking about it. Ive seen a couple since that have used the felt and did look smart.

Roadrunner230
17th September 2016, 07:00 PM
A local guy in Memerambi near Kingaroy. Ricky is his name and hes very busy people are booked 4-5 months ahead. He used the felt type on mine and did a very good job and it was his first LR. If you need his number IB me and ill give it to you. Ill put up some pic tomorrow. Very happy camper.

laney
19th September 2016, 03:28 PM
Had my D2 roof lining done about 2 years ago done in two pieces but looks good was about $330 is still their no sags very happy with job price good to .

northiam
19th September 2016, 03:44 PM
Available at most auto upholstery mobs
2.0 metre widths

Daley's - Product Catalogue ? Montana Felt (http://www.daleys.com.au/products/view/399)

Roverlord off road spares
19th September 2016, 04:26 PM
If a motor trimmer says he has to put a join in then walk away and go somewhere else. It's probably he doesn't deal with a wholesaler with the correct width material. It most certainly can be done without a join.

PeterM
3rd October 2016, 09:35 PM
Suggestions for any trimmers in SE Melbourne?

Roverlord off road spares
4th October 2016, 10:51 AM
Suggestions for any trimmers in SE Melbourne?
I got mine done by this mob in Ringwood, they did a fantastic job and with the correct width material.
Classic Motor Trimmers  

Auto Restoration Service

Address (https://www.google.com.au/search?client=firefox-b-ab&q=classic+motor+trimmers+address&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LWT9c3LCmONytKNteSzU620s_JT04syczPgzOsElNSilKLiwF4 gH-PLgAAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE9PmR97_PAhUGopQKHfTwApYQ6BMIfzAP): 6/475-477 Maroondah Hwy, Ringwood VIC 3134

Phone (https://www.google.com.au/search?client=firefox-b-ab&q=classic+motor+trimmers+phone&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LWT9c3LCmONytKNtfSz0620k_Oz8lJTS7JzM_Tz87LL89JTUlP jS9IzEvNKdbPSCyOL8jIz0u1ApMA9d13zEAAAAA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE9PmR97_PAhUGopQKHfTwApYQ6BMIggEwEA): (03) 9879 4932

they are Near Car city
cheers, Mario

Ollie
5th October 2016, 12:40 AM
Hi
I did my reline myself, in hindesight $350 is worth it.
There are quite a few posts on this topic a couple had repeat problems with the foam backing failing, so I did mine in a charcoal coloured felt from Clark Rubber no foam backing, it matches the seats and dash colour, very pleased but it was a a very fiddly job.
Regards Ollie

Pierre
7th October 2016, 02:38 PM
Classic Trimmers - Steve Dodd. Good bloke, does a great job for the correct price.

We have used their services for 15 years.

Pete:)

Mumfy1973
10th October 2016, 08:46 PM
just had a go at mine ......never again that was using foam back stuff imported from martrim in the uk

pay the money for somebody to do