PDA

View Full Version : Dual Batteries – Accessory Wiring - How do you avoid the spaghetti?

Greylandy
26th March 2008, 08:33 AM
Over the years, as most us of us do .. I add more and more 12v accessories to my landy. With the best of intentions I get it wired to what I believe is a very good standard but where I fall short is cleaning up and labeling the spaghetti that eventually ends up in the battery box.

Currently I have the wiring for the following accessories run into the battery box:

UHF Radio
500W Inverter
2 x Hella Sockets (one for the fridge)
50W Rear Work Lamp
2 x 100w Hella Ralley 4000 Driving Lights
2 x 100W Hella Spots (on the roofrack)
Shurflo Pump for Glinde Shower
National Luna - Dual Battery Monitor
Bushranger Max Air Compressor

Also located in the battery box are the wiring for the various switches as well as:

Piranha DBE 150S MKII electronic isolator
3 x Hella Relays
1 x Optima Yellow Top
1 x Odyssey Marine cranking battery

This is what it looked like three years ago .. times the wiring by three and you’ve got an idea of what a mess it is at the moment. I am too scared to post a pic of the current mess as I will be stoned by all auto electricians!
http://www.greylandy.com/images/db1.jpg

When I install a circuit for a new accessory I like to keep it separate from the wiring of the vehicle as well as other accessories, to simplify diagnostics in case something goes wrong. To date I’ve never had any issues.

What I would like to discuss is options to create a tidy and functional wiring hub under the seat box using terminal blocks, relay and fuse blocks etc. Have you guys done something similar? Pics? Also, are you using any other locations to house your relays etc. Is there a better way of doing things?

Any suggestions on suppliers of the above would also be appreciated. I have located some worthwhile terminal blocks at Jaycar but Whitworth’s marine supplies seem to be the one with all the good gear. They’ve got a nice looking blade fuse block and their terminal blocks are rated to 100Amp current.

Any suggestions on where I can find 4 x 40 amp relay block?

Thanks in advance.

Henry

one_iota
26th March 2008, 09:04 AM
Watching this one with much interest Henry.

One of the first DIY jobs I will inflict on the Defender will be the adding of the electrical accessories.:)

My attempts on the Disco whilst functional were formless.

I have used Narva bits and pieces in the past:

NARVA Automotive Lighting & Electrical (http://www.narva.com.au/index.html)

Yorkshire_Jon
26th March 2008, 05:41 PM
I run a highly felxible 35mm^2 cable from the 2nd battery to a fuse box (located in the battery box)... From there I simply have the wires coming in and going out of the fuse box... Batterys always look tidy.

As for the earth's - I always run independant -ve ciruits back to an earth strap (again in the battery box) and connected to the battery with 35mm^2 flexible wire.

Must admit I often think organising cables tidily is the worst thing you can do - It may look neat and tidy but as you say diagnostics can be a nightmare.

jik22
26th March 2008, 06:09 PM
I used a fuse box in the battery box, and lots of split tube to tidy and combine the cabling. I'm re-doing the dash at the moment, as like you, another bunch of accessories are going in!

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2008/03/203.jpg (http://www.aulro.com/app/showphoto.php/photo/6606)

EchiDna
26th March 2008, 10:01 PM
I don't have pics (in a different country to my landie :(), but I ran two lines of 16mm squared cable from the battery box to behind the dash with a doof doof brigade waterproof fuse holder inside the battery box., this has a terminal block behind the dash, and a daughter terminal block up in the overhead console. each outlet of the terminal block is independantly fused too... thus troubleshooting is easy. I've also got an ammeter on the 16mm line, so I know it is way below capacity for now - only 4 amps max current draw...

cewilson
27th March 2008, 06:42 PM
I got two of the terminal blocks from Jaycar. Mounted them into waterproof/dustproof enclosures that Jaycar sell as well. This enables two wires into the enclosue for power - and power distribution out to 8 or 10 accessories (sorry can't remember if it's 1-4 or 1-5). Either way it works quite well, and on the inside of the clear cover you can put in what each cicuit is for.

I've still gotta mount this set-up in - at the moment it's all sitting in the shed ready to do. Once I get around to doing it I'll post some pics up - but it'll be a few weeks yet as I've got some over things first.

BTW - I'll be mounting it in the battery compartment hopefully - otherwise it's going under the drivers seat instead. If I do the drivers seat, the 2 power cables will be fused next to the battery.

Cheers
Chris