PDA

View Full Version : My next project.

Aaron
3rd April 2008, 03:20 PM
Its time to replace my front saggy springs. I want to use LR springs, and I believe 130 front springs will lift the front to near level with the rears. Correct?

Im not after a lifted vehicle, they're tall enough (for me anyways)

Its meant to be set up for a tourer.

I want to use billstien shocks, that directly (as close as possible) replace the standard shocks.

Now for the guts of my question...

How do I do it? :P

The rear looks simple. I'd just compress the springs, take them out, un-bolt and insert new shocks, compress new springs put them where the old ones were then un-compress then have morning tea.

The front has the shock in the centre of the spring, its like a mini Arthur Gorry for the shock. I remember ages ago reading on here about how to do it, but I cant find it now. I remember someone saying "drop the whole front axel to the ground" which scares me. I may be wrong.

Can someone describe, in point form how to change out the front springs/shocks?

I would take it to a workshop to do it, but Im trying to gain mechanical knowledge.

mitch
3rd April 2008, 07:02 PM
- unbolt the shocks
- unbolt the spring retainer: small bolt in the middle of the bottom spring plate
- jack car up from chassis
- spring will fall out
- put in new spring and reattach spring retainer
- lower down
- bolt up new shock

Same front and back. Just do 1 corner at a time and you will be sweet :)

cheers- mitch

solmanic
3rd April 2008, 07:56 PM
Saggy? Really?

Maybe we should swap springs... I want to knock a few mm off the height of mine. (http://www.aulro.com/afvb/90-110-130-defender-county/54536-lowering-defender.html)

Aaron
3rd April 2008, 08:15 PM
Im more saggy on the right than the left..... :P

Springs aren't expensive really.

Can you get into the car park under the new David Jones complex thing? What underground parking have you used in the city? I havent been into the city in it since buying it from you!

Though I havent really looked at the rears, which I suppose is what you would be after. Im busy at work for atleast next two weeks so wont be able to check things out. But there yours as soon as I ditch them.... Ill even wash and chasis black them for you.

Aaron
3rd April 2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks mitch!

When I get around to doing it, if its not that simple, ill be cursing your name :D

solmanic
3rd April 2008, 10:52 PM
Can you get into the car park under the new David Jones complex thing? What underground parking have you used in the city? I havent been into the city in it since buying it from you!

I haven't ever been into a multi-storey car park in the city in either the old or new Defenders. My wife once took yours into Queens Plaza car park and said the back tickled the height gauge as it kicked-up going down the ramp, but was fine once she was in.

I don't trust anything under 2200mm though.

100I
3rd April 2008, 11:25 PM
I've had my D1 under the Convention centre. It's lifted at least 2" plus a 6" high full lencth rack;)

Tusker
4th April 2008, 08:41 AM
Why stick with LR springs? It'll just develop Jagsag again.

No evidence, but my theory about frony end sag is that Uk spec cars don't have bullbars, most Td5 Defenders sold here did, and I suspect the springs weren't upgraded when sold new here.

You'll be happier in the long run with correct spec, aftermarket springs.

Regards
Max P

Aaron
4th April 2008, 03:47 PM
Simplicity mainly. The 130 springs in the front level the car out. I assume they are heavy duty also. Ive heard it rides well.

Im more than happy to go aftermarket and spend more for a better product if someone knows the part numbers of the springs to match what Im after.