PDA

View Full Version : Shonky's '58 Series II SWB

Pages : [1] 2

Shonky
6th April 2008, 01:29 PM
Hi everyone!

Not too sure where I should put this... fordforums has a "projects" section which is always the first place I go when I log on!

It seems that we don't have that here, or alternately we do and I was just having a "boy look" as my mum would say... (If there isn't one, perhaps a suggestion for the site? :))

Anyway. Basically I am hoping to keep an ongoing diary of what I am doing to my old Landy in my quest to save her from the evil clutches of death. At present the situation is thus:

from my "Introduction" thread:

...I have a '58 Shorty with a 186 Red in it. I picked it about 5 years ago up off a horse stud near Singleton for just the right price! (Nothing) While I was there, the owner let me loose on an old IIA with the mandate of "anything you can break off that one you can keep".

The IIA was pretty shagged (beach truck) and I managed to get most of the worthwhile stuff off it. The body was maimed and the chassis was so rusted it almost wasn't there!

...I brought the Landy home when I was still at school (15) and it has spent most of its time sitting and waiting (and for a year or two there when it got evicted to the back lawn, rusting...) After I finished school I wasted my time and money on the evils of temptation and thus by the time I got back around to working on the poor old girl, I was a broke 19 year old student living out of home!

I'm now 20 and still very much broke, but recently have put a bit more thought into getting busy with it again.

So basically it is sitting in a shed at the moment, with the front left guard, breakfast/radiator, bonnet and doors removed looking very pitiful indeed... :(

As I said above, I am no expert and the aim of this restoration is to keep one more Landy on the road and almost more importantly, for me to LEARN!

THE PLAN:

I am planning to strip her down to bare chassis and do a complete rebuild. The firewall is showing some signs of rot so I will be seeking your advice on that tidbit specifically very shortly!

I am in two minds as to what I want to do. One option is to restore her, the other is to "repair" her so that it is working and adequately preserved for the future, but still rough enough that I don't feel guilty punting around in the bush.

At the moment I am thinking resto, and I can always buy another Landy to bush bash in... right?!

I am also in two minds about colours. The original colour was bronze green with a white roof and rear cab, although I am thinking of going the lighter green (name?) with white.

Like this: (http://www.roverhaul.com/galleries/done/DSC00482)

Am also planning on reconditioning the 186 at the moment. i have a 2.25P in storage at Dad's house, but that is in Perth. :/ I think the 186 will do for now.

I am sure I will be on here quite a lot once I get going on it - This site is an incredible resource and I will be sure to tap into all of your knowledge and experience!

Pics? Will be up tomorrow. ;)

Wish me luck!

Shonky
7th April 2008, 09:17 AM
Pics as promised!

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/21032008271.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/21032008272.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/21032008273.jpg

Note the flat rear tyres... I had to dismantle the wall in order to get the damn thing in the shed, and it was about 3" too tall! Didn't have the time to pull the roof off either...

Shonky
7th April 2008, 09:23 AM
Some of you may be interested in this also:

Its a Fordson Major Diesel. Don't know the year but the engine was rebuilt in 1961 (according to a plate on the side...) so it is at least that old!

Lovely old tractor. Kicks over first time, every time and blows less smoke than our '96 Patrol. Brakes are nigh on nonexistant though...

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/21032008275.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/21032008274.jpg

Shonky
16th April 2008, 08:58 AM
I went up to the farm on Monday and Tuesday and had a rather productive (albeit painful) two days of dismantling.

I have now denuded the beast of it's hardtop, tailgate, seats, windscreen and seatbelts.

I know none of those things are particularly hard to do, but being in a shed with very little head room above the roof, and also being largely on my own I thought it was a pretty solid effort.

The roof was fairly easy to do, although the bolts along the top of the windscreen were a little frustrating at times. Note that I have also removed the glass to lighten the load, as my dear old mum was the only one around to give me a hand lifting it off!

It looks weird without it's lid...

The tailgate and windscreen were of course too simple for words but the seatbelts... argh... whoever installed them did so with the nuts on the outside and didn't use bolts or nuts that afforded any level of corrosion resistance. I will have to grind them out at a later stage (no power in this shed :() In the meantime I had to just slash the belts. Oh well.

The seats weren't too bad but those split pins in the backs were horrible. The fact that it was fairly dark also didn't help. ;)

With the windscreen off, the rust along the top of the firewall that I had been valiantly trying to pretend wasn't there, became painfully obvious.

(sorry about the pics - low MP camera and crap light)

Mind you, I don't think it matters anyway... my firewall is swiss cheese. Methinks I need a new one.

A bit like my rear crossmember:

Shonky
16th April 2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks NM!

Yes, I noticed the project section this morning... Domestic blindness. :P

It's a learner's attempt at a serious resto - which is half the fun!

I was planning on getting a rear member from Four Wheel Drives in Melbourne, but I'm still sussing out where I can find a firewall from, or if I can fix it myself (after I buy another welder. And move it into a shed with power... hmm...)

The truck is located near Capertee/Glen Davis (about 1hr North West of Lithgow - towards Mudgee) and I live in Sydney (Baulkham Hills) during the week for work and study reasons.

It's very frustrating! Sometimes I come home from work and all I want to do is have a tinker but I can't!

If you wouldn't mind, could you move my post into the Projects/Tutorials section?

Thanks for the post too. It's always good to know that I'm not just posting this for me to re-read!

:D

Shonky
16th April 2008, 12:38 PM
Some of you may be wondering why the entire front end has been removed, except for the Left wing. Well the answer is quite simple. I can't get the blasted thing off!

I can reach the bolts with an extension socket but it feels like the captive nuts are no longer captive (it just spins incessantly). Because they are inside the firewall I'm not sure how I can get them out (short of putting the grinder through the door pillar :twisted:).

Any suggestions?! :confused:

olmate
16th April 2008, 07:02 PM
Mate, you have a serious project there. I am sure that you will enjoy it though and, when it starts to look like the 'other one' in the picture, you will be very happy. Always glad to see someone else keeping the old series vehicles going :D

My Dad has a Fordson tractor just like that. It doesn't do too much work these days but it does still cut timber and drag things around his paddock when needed. They are a great old work horse.;)

Shonky
16th April 2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks Troy!

You may have noticed the LRM sticker on the windscreen in some of the photos. That sticker I think came with the first LRM Mag I ever got - which featured your old Landy! I had just got my old girl at that stage and your story was a great inspiration to me! I was reading it just a few weeks ago when brushing up in preparation for getting properly stuck into the resto for the first time, and it served to once again reinspire me.

It's a small world, isn't it. :)

The 'Major is certainly a keen worker. When I have time I will have to do some digging into IT'S history! As I said its a lovely old trackie. Just does everything it's told (except braking! :O)

Newbs-IIA
16th April 2008, 11:06 PM
Great project ya got there - second the new welder, dunno if you have checked the chassi but if the rear crossmember is the way it is (alot like my IIA) there is a good chance that the chassi, especially around gearbox crossmember and rear spring hanger mounts will need surgery to remove some serious cancer - again like mine..... it's all part of the fun though :D

Lotz-A-Landies
16th April 2008, 11:34 PM
... but I'm still sussing out where I can find a firewall from, or if I can fix it myself (after I buy another welder. And move it into a shed with power... hmm...)

The truck is located near Capertee/Glen Davis (about 1hr North West of Lithgow - towards Mudgee) and I live in Sydney (Baulkham Hills) during the week for work and study reasons.
Shonky

You'll have a great time there, regarding the firewall you can use one from any S2/s2a up to 1967. Couple of places you should keep your eyes on for 2nd hand parts: Land Vehicle Spares out at Silverdale and Hilton Pollard up at Colo Heights. Although that said, try west of the Blue Mountains because the rust is less on that side. Give "Master Chief" a PM, he often knows where to find them.

Also JohnE, he recently bought some stuff from Bathurst, maybe there is still a good firewall out there at the wrecker where he got the S3 from, there were a few in the yard.

C Ya
Diana

Shonky
17th April 2008, 07:40 AM
Second your seconding Newbs... :P I'm hanging out for a MIG. Don't particularly feel like sticking my way around on something structural. And I just want a MIG. :D

Interestingly, the rest of the chassis seems okay(ish). It still has a fair bit of black paint and I couldn't find any soft spots when I was lying under there with a hammer and a screwdriver prodding around.

That said, once the body comes off it's a whole different game. Fingers crossed though... :(

Ahh it's all good. I suppose I can always get another chassis if worst comes to worst anyway... ;)

Shonky
17th April 2008, 07:51 AM
Shonky

You'll have a great time there, regarding the firewall you can use one from any S2/s2a up to 1967. Couple of places you should keep your eyes on for 2nd hand parts: Land Vehicle Spares out at Silverdale and Hilton Pollard up at Colo Heights. Although that said, try west of the Blue Mountains because the rust is less on that side. Give "Master Chief" a PM, he often knows where to find them.

Also JohnE, he recently bought some stuff from Bathurst, maybe there is still a good firewall out there at the wrecker where he got the S3 from, there were a few in the yard.

C Ya
Diana

Thanks for that Diana. :)

Hilton Pollard... why do I know that name? :confused:

I concur Re: staying West if possible. I got this truck from Gresford (near Singleton) but I think a fair bit of the rot happened when I brought it back to Sydney and it sat abandoned in the grass. It was probably always there, but dormant enough in the dry climate.

Oops. :(

Sleepy
17th April 2008, 10:05 AM
"...As I said above, I am no expert and the aim of this restoration is to keep one more Landy on the road and almost more importantly, for me to LEARN! "

G'day Shonk,

My sentiments exactly!

I'm a newbie too :) - just convinced the missus that a SII ute will look lovely on the front lawn while we finish driveway (Which it does!) ! [Not sure if she was still impressed when I bought a second ute as donor - 67 SIIa:angel !! :whistling: ]

I'm interested to see whether you go for a "full restore" or "repair". I like the idea of restoring it mechanically but leaving exterior "as is". But time (and money?) will tell. As lovely as an "original" looks, it's always tempting to upgrade - bigger brakes, synchro gearbox, electrics, neagitvie earth-alternator, wipers, 5 bearing motor, parabolic springs...

Sound like you've got a lot of "fun" ahead. Good Luck - look forward to your progress. Lot's of pics please! :D

Haven't struck a blow but here are some pics of what's ahead for me. :unsure:

Shonky
17th April 2008, 10:23 AM
G'Day Paul!

She's a nice looking beast! I want to do a ute or trayback next up. Maybe a Series III or Stage 1. Then again, I also want to do a Series I next. And a 107 station wagon. And a Cuthbertson. And a bloodbox. and a... you get the idea. :) Haha!

Have you got a running log of your build up going? Would love to watch the progress and share experiences and grazed knuckles!

I don't think I would leave the exterior "as is" entirely. At very least it needs a respray so the bare aluminium and technicolour panels are all consistent! I'm not sure though wether I will panel beat out the dings (theres not too many really) or just leave it a bit rough. Then again, I want to learn how to fix dents anyway so I might do it regardless!

I'm focussing mostly on preservation first, and am planning to look at persistant problem areas with SIIs and make a few modifications if I can to mitigate the issues. (Not sure how yet - watch this space!)

I'm sticking to the OE gear (brakes etc) at the moment due to my pitiful budget, but as time goes on I can save up and add goodies to it later. :D

What year model is your project?

Shonky
17th April 2008, 10:35 AM
Chassis Numbers. Are they sequential?

My Chassis number is 1638XXXXX (the "X"s being representative of the serial number. Is it okay to put your chassis number on the internet?)

so in theory, if my serial number was, say... 00258, would that mean that my Landy was the 258th Landy built in that year? (4th no.) that model? (2nd/3rd no.) or is it all random and irrelevant?

Being a 58 it is an early SII, but I'm just trying to work out if it was a really early SII.

Lotz-A-Landies
17th April 2008, 11:03 AM
Chassis Numbers. Are they sequential?

My Chassis number is 1638XXXXX (the "X"s being representative of the serial number. Is it okay to put your chassis number on the internet?)

so in theory, if my serial number was, say... 00258, would that mean that my Landy was the 258th Landy built in that year? (4th no.) that model? (2nd/3rd no.) or is it all random and irrelevant?

Being a 58 it is an early SII, but I'm just trying to work out if it was a really early SII.
Andrew

Hard to say about the numbers - yes they are sequential, but whether they came off the assembly line in sequence is another question.

I have several S2B's one is 33100095a which came off the Solihull assembly line at the end of January 1968 I also have 33100105a although it came off the same assembly line at the end of December 1967.

Cheers
Diana

Sleepy
17th April 2008, 11:45 AM
..........Have you got a running log of your build up going? Would love to watch the progress and share experiences and grazed knuckles!

I don't think I would leave the exterior "as is" entirely. At very least it needs a respray so the bare aluminium and technicolour panels are all consistent! .....................What year model is your project?

Shonky,
Not only am I new to restoring landies.... Only just learnt how to post to newsgroups..Have learnt heaps fromm just reading about others . I'll also learn how to post a log. ...I'm sure there is a help menu somewhere (real men don't read instructions ;) )
My project is the 60 SIIute - very orignial, everything works, but sad chassis:o
The donor is the 67 IIa former 6cyl - although that also seems too good to break up;)

Maybe I need a third ute to......................:rolleyes:

Shonky
17th April 2008, 01:43 PM
I agree! Buy another one! :P

By "Log" I just meant what I am doing here. Posting pics and a diary of what I have done. I save this thread regualrly and it will be part of my portfolio on the car so I can look back over the work I have done and if I have kids (god help humanity) I have something to show them.

Shonky
17th April 2008, 01:49 PM
Just found these oldies, from when I took it up to the farm and it was more or less complete.

It almost didn't make it. On the dirt roads on the way in I hit a deep patch of bulldust and got the whole lot (Patrol with Landy on trailer and tray full of parts) crossed up and sliding.

Caught it luckily. Just...

Anyway. PICS:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/28-04-07_1923.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/28-04-07_1921.jpg

Shonky
17th April 2008, 01:57 PM
Andrew

Hard to say about the numbers - yes they are sequential, but whether they came off the assembly line in sequence is another question.

I have several S2B's one is 33100095a which came off the Solihull assembly line at the end of January 1968 I also have 33100105a although it came off the same assembly line at the end of December 1967.

Cheers
Diana

Hmm... I guess it could go either way then. :confused: Thanks for the info anyway!

Oh well. Bigger things to worry about - such as how I'm going to get this bloody wing off! All in favour of a flank attack through the firewall with the holy hand grinder of antioch?

Sleepy
17th April 2008, 04:45 PM
..how I'm going to get this bloody wing off! All in favour of a flank attack through the firewall with the holy hand grinder of antioch?

Shonky,
Patience , Patience :angel:and then, of course, comes the FBH:twisted::bat:

olmate
17th April 2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks Troy!

You may have noticed the LRM sticker on the windscreen in some of the photos. That sticker I think came with the first LRM Mag I ever got - which featured your old Landy! I had just got my old girl at that stage and your story was a great inspiration to me! I was reading it just a few weeks ago when brushing up in preparation for getting properly stuck into the resto for the first time, and it served to once again reinspire me.

It's a small world, isn't it. :)

Andrew, it is a very small world. Thanks for the kind words mate. My ol mate has changed a bit since that article but is still is my pride and joy. Working on the next one now. ;)

Shonky
17th April 2008, 05:50 PM
Hahaha! I've been trying to get the blasted thing off various times using various methods for 5 years! :TIC:

I've tried heating, cooling, heating and cooling, cooling and heating, pulling, pushing, WD40, RP7, even Penetrene (which I don't think you can get anymore?)

I've used sockets, spanners, fingers, I tried drilling but the bolt just spun with the bit, I even managed to get a hacksaw blade between the back of the wing and the firewall and had a hack for a while until I cut myself... was damaging the wing anyway. :eek:

Hmm... maybe rather than grinding the firewall I could drill through it and into the back of the bolt...

Or maybe I could get to it with a Dremel?

On the other hand, I am either going to chuck that firewall in the bin or repair it, which will involve cutting some of that section out anyway.

I'm liking the Dremel idea at the moment actually. Shame I don't have a Dremel! :huh:

Shonky
17th April 2008, 05:53 PM
Andrew, it is a very small world. Thanks for the kind words mate. My ol mate has changed a bit since that article but is still is my pride and joy. Working on the next one now. ;)

No worries Troy. :)

Will be keeping a keen eye on your next buildup!

Shonky
18th April 2008, 07:42 AM
Thankyou whoever moved my thread into the correct section. :)

Shonky
28th April 2008, 08:25 AM
Was up at the farm on Thursday and Friday so I got a little more work done, however much of the time was taken up felling trees to be used for the new shed which will have power. :D

So really not a huge amount got done. I removed the drivers side floor panel, the trans tunnel / front panel and all of the bolts along the back of the seat box, but after two days of back breaking labour I really wasn't in the mood to crawl around in the dirt under the car and fight with frozen bolts. Due to this, I didn't get the passenger side floor panel or the seat box out in their entirety.

I did do a bit of work under the bonnet (well, the bonnet is sitting against the wall and has been for over a year, but you get the idea...) I removed the Carby, Manifolds (and exhaust - it was only held on in two spots and the tip was in front of the rear wheels, which I seem to remember being a violation of ADRs...?) I also removed the head and was surprised that the head gasket (which I was told had blown) was actually fairly new and intact. I'm now entering very unfamiliar territory here... I know the basics about engines but in terms of rebuilding one, I'm in uncharted waters.

I did take pics, but I'm at work at the moment (of course - what else do I do at work... :P) and silly me left my hard drive at home. I will upload them tomorrow.

While I was scrummaging through the pile of bits that I retrieved from the other Landy when I got this one (read Post #1 again if that doesn't make sense) I found a set of free-wheeling hubs and brought them back to Sydney to fiddle with. Yesterday was spent with a toothbrush and a can of petrol cleaning them up and putting it all back together and working out how it works. Was very productive I thought. I can now say with confidence that I understand how free wheeling hubs work - something I couldn't before. This is what it's all about - learning!

Shonky
29th April 2008, 10:24 AM
Pics as promised!

Floor and trans panels removed:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/25042008416.jpg

My dirty but surprisingly rustless chassis:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/25042008414.jpg

When I gave this outrigger a good tap with the screwdriver, I got a nice, resounding "DING!" - a good sign apparently as it means that it isn't full of muck or rot. The forward fuel tank outrigger has a heap of dirt stuck in behind it, but externally looks ok. I guess I will find out when I get the seat box off.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/25042008413.jpg

Head off. Theres a lot of black crap in there, and spiders had snuck their way in through the exhaust! (Should have started it up! :twisted:)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/25042008425.jpg

poor quality phone pic.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/25042008424.jpg

The underside of the head:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/25042008420.jpg

Sleepy
29th April 2008, 03:18 PM
Gee that chassis looks good :), I'm jealous!

Any luck with those wings yet?

Shonky
30th April 2008, 08:21 AM
Thanks Paul - Hopefully the rest of it looks like that! Next time I'm up there I will give it a bit of a scrub and get the dirt off and see what it looks like under all that greyish dust.

I still can't get the left wing off. I have pretty much resorted to leaving it there until the shed is done and then grinding out the door pillar. :(

Shonky
13th May 2008, 09:02 AM
Only managed to get an hour of work in this weekend - a little frustrating since I was there for three days. Mostly I just dug holes (by hand thanks to broken auger) I also lost my watch in the process. It fell of and I am pretty sure it got buried in a pile of dirt and promptly buried / concreted over. GRR!

Oh well. :( I got the seatbox off at least and it was, surprisingly, incredibly easy!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/12052008471.jpg

There was a little good news this weekend... Look closely:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/12052008474.jpg

How about a close up? No - I haven't been painting. This is what my chassis looks like underneath the dirt! All I have done is wipe it with a wet rag!

Chassis = :D:D:D

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/12052008473.jpg

From what I can see, the rest of the chassis looks much the same (except of course for the rear member) Really happy about that. :BigThumb:

Shonky
13th May 2008, 09:11 AM
Another positive thing from the weekend - I found this half buried behind one of the old pig sheds! The previous owner (who we also bought the tractor off) must have left it there!

Engine crane!

It is incredibly over-engineered though. The tractor would tip backwards (even with counterweights) looooooong before you could reach even half what the crane is capable of lifting. Also, it is held to the tractor at the standard three point linkage - and those little bolts are by far the weakest link compared to the rest of the crane.

Sleepy
13th May 2008, 10:10 AM
Nice chassis Shonk,

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Oh well, someone will find your watch in 1000 years time perfectly preserved in a lump of concrete, sell it on ebay and make a fortune. :D:D

Shonky
13th May 2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks mate!

I was chuffed muchly when I wiped that rag and saw nothing but solid black paint and minimal surface rust! B)

The way this shed is going, it will probably still be standing in 1000 years... ;)

PS - where did you get the little picture of your ute in your sig? I like! I want!

Sleepy
13th May 2008, 11:19 AM
Welcome to the Series 2 Club (http://www.series2club.co.uk/)

Under "fun stuff" - "graphics".

Lots of other good info in this site too.

Here's one for you

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/:D:D

Shonky
13th May 2008, 11:22 AM
*flaps hands* "aww... bee nythe Paulie!"

Hahaha!

Thanks for linky. ;)

Rangier Rover
13th May 2008, 11:26 AM
Another positive thing from the weekend - I found this half buried behind one of the old pig sheds! The previous owner (who we also bought the tractor off) must have left it there!

Engine crane!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/11052008457.jpg

It is incredibly over-engineered though. The tractor would tip backwards (even with counterweights) looooooong before you could reach even half what the crane is capable of lifting. Also, it is held to the tractor at the standard three point linkage - and those little bolts are by far the weakest link compared to the rest of the crane.You look like you've had a good season (Greenery).
Those old Fordson's are a good ol tractor. English with lucas as well:D
Your S11 is in fair shape.

Shonky
13th May 2008, 12:39 PM
G'Day RR. :)

Yep! Dams are all full, stock are happy and if it isn't the pr1ckles (swear filter doesn't like them either!) damaging tyres, its all the crud hiding under the long grass! I staked a new (<500km) tyre on the Patrol the other day. Ouch... have let the goats loose in the house paddock now. I would rather loose a shrub or two than, say, a tractor tyre!

I love my old Major - it fires up first go every time and runs like a trojan all day. I have considered restoring it but I love it just the way it is - all work and weather beaten. Luckily the prince of darkness hasn't paid a visit as yet!

I'm pretty happy with my old Landy too. The chassis isn't too bad, and the body is, well... there. :P (It's got a few dents...;))

Sleepy
13th May 2008, 01:11 PM
bee nythe Paulie"

I was. There's some very famous Landy's that are pink!!;);) Not sure if they had an 88" version:D:D

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/remlr-general/39343-land-rover-photos-5.html#post556519

XSiV
13th May 2008, 02:19 PM
G'day Shonky,

It certainly looks as though you have your work cut out for you but you are progressing! About your engine... you should be able to get a manual from supercheap auto or repco or something. Other wise you could check out OldHolden.com | Old Holden Internet Resource (http://oldholden.com/) you could surely get some info there, maybe even a manual. Holden 202 red motors are pretty simple engines though. I used to have a manual for my old HG kingswood, I'll see if I still have it. I'm pretty sure I sold it with the car though.

Shonky
14th May 2008, 08:10 AM
I was. There's some very famous Landy's that are pink! ;)

http://www.series2club.co.uk/images/shocking_pink.gif

Not THAT pink!

Shonky
14th May 2008, 08:19 AM
G'day Shonky,

It certainly looks as though you have your work cut out for you but you are progressing! About your engine... you should be able to get a manual from supercheap auto or repco or something. Other wise you could check out OldHolden.com | Old Holden Internet Resource (http://oldholden.com/) you could surely get some info there, maybe even a manual. Holden 202 red motors are pretty simple engines though. I used to have a manual for my old HG kingswood, I'll see if I still have it. I'm pretty sure I sold it with the car though.

Thanks XSiv!

I have had a bit of a look on OldHolden - really good site!

I am keeping an eye out for a manual (it's actually a 186 - same thing really :)) a second hand one would be good!

If you do find yours I would be interested in buying it off you. Let me know! :D

Thanks for your encouragement!

XSiV
14th May 2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks XSiv!

I have had a bit of a look on OldHolden - really good site!

I am keeping an eye out for a manual (it's actually a 186 - same thing really :)) a second hand one would be good!

If you do find yours I would be interested in buying it off you. Let me know! :D

Thanks for your encouragement!

If I find it, it's yours no need to pay for it. I don't think I'll be needing it again. I'll have a look in the garage on the weekend but I'm almost certain it's not there because we moved recently and I don't remember seeing it. Though there were some old boxes from the previous move that I hadn't opened and I have a feeling it may be in them.

BTW nice place to have a farm, I was out that way over Easter, we went down to the Turon for a couple of days. A mate of mine has a little weekender property out at Mudgee too.

I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers

Josh

JohnE
14th May 2008, 09:15 AM
Mr shonk
just in case josh has no luck, finding the manual,
in this day of internet, everyone has forgotten the old favourite, the local library, as holden motors are common most local libraries have the manuals.
all you do is borrow the said manual and photocopy the relevant pages,
failing that oldholdens.com has nearly all tuning info you need, covering nearly everything, i got a stack of gearbox info for the batmobile from there.

john

ps diana mentioned i had some stuff at blayney, to date most of it is spoken for, there are some items i don;t need( at this stage) the tub, seat box and the guards( their ser 3 ones ) but if you end up hacking the one that won;t come off there is a side panel you can use. you are welcome to it/them. I have photos if you want a look see.

pss the libray in lismore has a stack of holden manuals, very easy to scan and send.

Shonky
14th May 2008, 12:22 PM
If I find it, it's yours no need to pay for it. I don't think I'll be needing it again.

Thanks Josh! Champion!

BTW nice place to have a farm, I was out that way over Easter, we went down to the Turon for a couple of days. A mate of mine has a little weekender property out at Mudgee too.

It certainly is. ;) We are right in the Valley - 360* views of the clifflines. Beautiful. :)

Shonky
14th May 2008, 12:28 PM
in this day of internet, everyone has forgotten the old favourite, the local library, as holden motors are common most local libraries have the manuals.
all you do is borrow the said manual and photocopy the relevant pages...

You are dead right - I didn't even think of that... :eek:

I will keep that in mind!

Diana mentioned i had some stuff at blayney, to date most of it is spoken for, there are some items i don't need (at this stage) the tub, seat box and the guards (their ser 3 ones) but if you end up hacking the one that won't come off there is a side panel you can use. You are welcome to it/them. I have photos if you want a look see.

Photos would be great - thanks!

Is there anything you are after for your beastie? I don't have much but I do have a few bits lying around and like most on here - I always have my eyes peeled for parts! :angel:

JohnE
14th May 2008, 07:12 PM
thanks for that, i need some millitary bits, which you haven;t got its fine.

pm sent

john

Shonky
15th May 2008, 07:48 AM
No worries John. :)

I tried to reply to your PM, but your inbox is full!

Email sent.

Shonky
20th May 2008, 12:07 PM
There you are Paul. :twisted:

Actually - since you desecrated my thread I will go and do the same to yours! :p

Sleepy
20th May 2008, 08:20 PM
they'll never find you in the desert.........or oxford street:D:p:D

Shonky
21st May 2008, 08:20 AM
Or Melbourne... :tease:

Shonky
2nd July 2008, 10:02 AM
Progress! Well... almost.

I spent two hours unbolting the tub yesterday, and when the moment of glory came to lift it off and expose that pristine rust free chassis (I know - optimistic...) I realised I had forgotten about the two bracing arms at the back. :(

I was already late and had to leave it for next time. VERY ANNOYING!

So close yet so far!

XSiV
2nd July 2008, 01:31 PM
I know it was a while back, but I cleaned out the garage on the weekend, well most of it and I had no luck finding that manual. I have a vague recolection of offloading it when I got rid of my old kingswood. If it turns up I'll let you know but don't hold your breath.

FenianEel
2nd July 2008, 02:31 PM
G'day Shonky,

Nice project you've got there, and great farm.
That's a magical place the valley, I used to live there (Glen Davis) as a wee fella, and have been going back there ever since.
Have to give you a yell next time we're down there. ;)

Sleepy
2nd July 2008, 02:43 PM
Progress! Well... almost.

Bad luck mate - I know you must be anxious to see what's under there.:mad:
Next weekend? Don't forget the camera!

Shonky
4th July 2008, 10:07 AM
I know it was a while back, but I cleaned out the garage on the weekend, well most of it and I had no luck finding that manual. I have a vague recolection of offloading it when I got rid of my old kingswood. If it turns up I'll let you know but don't hold your breath.

Thanks Josh. I am sure there will be one around somewhere. :)

Shonky
4th July 2008, 10:15 AM
G'day Shonky,

Nice project you've got there, and great farm.
That's a magical place the valley, I used to live there (Glen Davis) as a wee fella, and have been going back there ever since.
Have to give you a yell next time we're down there. ;)

Thanks! I am enjoying it so far, but I am also coming to the end of my comfort zone (pulling things apart) and I will probably reach the point of "why the hell am I doing this?" fairly soon when I have to start putting it back together!

It is a beautiful spot isn't it? It's only a little farm but it's only mum on her own these days so not much point getting back into the big game. Glen Davis is a nice little spot, although I took my girlfriend there just on twilight and she got all freaked and said it looked like the town from "house of wax"... :eek:

Drop us a PM next time you will be in the area! If I am around (I am fairly regularly) you are more than welcome to drop in and say g'day! I have been going it alone so far with this resto and it would be good to get a few pointers from a more experienced hand! :D

Shonky
4th July 2008, 10:18 AM
Bad luck mate - I know you must be anxious to see what's under there.:mad:
Next weekend? Don't forget the camera!

Too right I am Paul... I wanna know if the rest of my chassis is as good as it is under the seatbox!

Will be going up on Monday / Tuesday so will definitely have the tub off and will take plenty of pics for you! :)

Shonky
9th July 2008, 08:56 AM
This will be the last major update for a few months, as I have now pretty much gone as far as I can with the resto until my new shed is finished. The new shed will have power :), lighting :D, heating :cool: and will not have a trench running through it :mad:, or smell like piggy poop. :eek:

That said, this has by far been the most exciting installment in the series (at least as far as I am concerned...) because I finally got a decent look at the overall condition of the chassis - and the news was all good!

The tub:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/Landrover/07072008509.jpg

About 5 seconds after the tub came off:
It was very dirty and I was still praying that the brown was all just dirt...

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/Landrover/07072008506.jpg

Close eyes and spot check...

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/Landrover/07072008507.jpg
...happy so far!

Start scrubbing with a brush and hot soapies:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/Landrover/07072008519.jpg

Black paint everywhere! My chassis is pretty much PERFECT except for the rear crossmember. I tapped and bashed and scrubbed and checked and couldn't find one spot that was of concern! I even stuck my fingers inside where I could and had a poke around (fortunately the OE Land Rover Spiders were in hiding due to the cold...) and apart from a lot of dust it was all smooth inside as well!

Of course, it came at a cost:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/Landrover/08072008534.jpg

But it always does. :angel:

Shonky
9th July 2008, 09:01 AM
When I was cleaning my chassis I unearthed a few hand painted markings in grey or white paint.

One was on the mid-cross member (correct name?) and the other was on the RHS rail. It is the number "79". What was the significance of these markings if any?

Shonky
9th July 2008, 09:03 AM
This will be the last major update for a few months, as I have now pretty much gone as far as I can with the resto until my new shed is finished. The new shed will have power :), lighting :D, heating :cool: and will not have a trench running through it :mad:, or smell like piggy poop. :eek:

Dark, cold, smelly and dangerous (I have lost count of how many times I have almost broken my legs in that freakin trench...)

But it's full of Landrovery goodness and that why I spend as much time in there as I can!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/Landrover/08072008535.jpg

Shonky
10th July 2008, 11:57 AM
So I am veering more towards restoring the truck back to original, but I am considering a few deviations where subtle improvements can be made.

I have decided that I want to put an original spec engine in it, so I am going to need a 2L OIVSEV. Does anyone know where there is one lying around?

Shopping list:
- 2L engine
- Salisbury rear axle
- Bigger brakes off a 109'

Shonky
13th August 2008, 09:01 AM
Well I have changed my mind yet again and now want a 2.25 as it will be easier to live with and work on. I have also decided that the Sals rear will be unneccesary and I'm still undecided about 11" brakes. Ahh the joys of being spoilt for choice! :angel:

PROGRESS:

My mum kindly dropped in on Saturday morning with a present for me - the right wing off Gus! I haven't been up to the farm in a few weeks and can't make it up there any time soon either so I have been suffering landy withdrawals... :wheelchair:

Monday and Tuesday were spent stripping the paint back to clean shiny Birmabright. I got a tad carried away though. Most of the bolts had rusted solid and some were starting to corrode the aluminium so I ended up dismantling the wing completely... :whistling:

Someone had obviously been fiddling there previously, as some of the heads were stripped and the bolts holding the front panel to the wing top were 2" long phillips head with square nuts. These had to be grinderated as they were frozen rock solid. :angry2:

I will put pics up tomorrow. It is exciting to make progress even if it is something minor like this. :)

Shonky
14th August 2008, 12:13 PM
Pics as promised.

To strip the paint I started off using TommyK's method: use a paint scraper on the top 50% of paint and then remove the remainder with a wire brush held on it's side.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/09082008549.jpg

After a while though I started just using the wire brush full on and giving it a good scrub. I personally found that it removed the paint a lot quicker and while it did leave swirl marks in the Aly, I don't imagine that they will be visible at all after primer, base coat and paint.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/11082008558.jpg

I removed the front panel too the next day and stripped the back of the panels too. ;)

Sleepy
14th August 2008, 12:50 PM
Noice.:o
Very shiny! They look pretty straight too.

Shonky
14th August 2008, 01:21 PM
I was almost tempted to just clearcoat the bare aly! ...almost! :p

They are fairly straight, but there are a few little dings which will need some work and a little bit of filler. I am currently researching how best to do that. :)

XSiV
14th August 2008, 02:15 PM
I was almost tempted to just clearcoat the bare aly! ...almost! :p

They are fairly straight, but there are a few little dings which will need some work and a little bit of filler. I am currently researching how best to do that. :)

I know a good panel beater who may be able to give you some guidance. His name is Gavin from G&S Prestige Panel beaters he's always happy to give advice, his number is (02) 9542 3723. Tell him I suggested you call him.

BTW you did a great job removing all the paint, they look good. You could go the polished ally route like the old aircraft used to be. ;)

Cheers

Josh

Shonky
14th August 2008, 02:39 PM
I know a good panel beater who may be able to give you some guidance. His name is Gavin from G&S Prestige Panel beaters he's always happy to give advice, his number is (02) 9542 3723. Tell him I suggested you call him.

BTW you did a great job removing all the paint, they look good. You could go the polished ally route like the old aircraft used to be. ;)

Cheers

Josh

Cheers Josh. I might give him a call! :D

I believe it has been done before - but can you imagine the glare! :lol2:

I have my heart set on sage green too. I think it would be easier to spray than bronze green being a lighter shade, and after seeing the 2A on RoverHaul I was sold! :angel:

Rangier Rover
14th August 2008, 03:17 PM
Have you found a 2 Ltr engine yet? I may have one here. Was going to put in the 49 Ser 1 but now don't see the point as not original at time of build. Tony

Shonky
29th August 2008, 10:56 AM
Have you found a 2 Ltr engine yet? I may have one here. Was going to put in the 49 Ser 1 but now don't see the point as not original at time of build. Tony

Hey Tony.

Nah mate haven't found a 2L yet. I have decided to put a 2.25 in it instead, but if you decide to sell your engine I may be interested for future projects... ;)

Cheers. :D

Shonky
29th August 2008, 11:42 AM
I have been stripping again... ;)

...paint stripping that is. :p

I have now done the outside of my drivers door and most of the topside of the bonnet. I can now unconditionally say that paint stripping is as boring as... well, watching paint dry ironically... :(

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/24082008591.jpg

I have tried to leave the paint on the steel bits as much as possible for now, and I think I will un-pick the door frames and bonnet frame and get them galvanised or at least ensure that they are painted in properly.

I put the door back together for a photo... mmmm shiny! :D

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/24082008593.jpg

The bonnet was painful. Soooo big! :( For all who have restored a bloodbox - I have a new found level of respect for you! :o

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/24082008595.jpg

Next step is to source solid rivets and associated tools, and then get down to pulling things right apart.

I am thinking again that I might galvanise my chassis aswell. I still want to paint it black though - how does one paint over gal?

Dinty
29th August 2008, 02:47 PM
G'day All, Rivets sick of looking at them LOL, a good quality etch primer will coat gal for painting, and as for a rivet set tool I modified my air chisel (one of the tools) easily done if you have a metal turning lathe:angel: and I also made the set tool for the rivet head, I was able to buy quantities of solid rivets from a company in Sydney but for some reason they went belly up, you should be able to buy them from the US as I have done, i bought 500 (cause that was the min/amount) of 1/4" shank round heads as used in the tub of a Land Rover, these are big rivets that hold the steel braces under the floor, there was a thread recently about rivets and I think Harry from Qld sourced some locally so check that out with him sorry if I'm wrong anyway yours is looking good, and yes a "Bloodbox" is a BIG TASK when you strip the paint of the body, bin there done that LOL cheers mate Dennis:wasntme:
PS Gal chassis is a good idea if the gal people know there job if not you will have turned a good chassis into a twisted piece of steel, this happened to my mate about 20 years ago, 109 chassis with a 2" difference in height from R<>L at the rear and 1 1/2" front to rear:oops2:

Shonky
29th August 2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks Dennis.

I had a look through that post but the impression I got was that the rivets available were all of the universal head type and not true dome heads. I know I'm being pedantic but I figure if I'm doing it, I may as well get it perfect!

I might PM Harry and see what type his were. ;)

I have heard of air tools being modified for this purpose before. I don't have a lathe (or any air tools! :o) unfortunately... do you think you could be coerced into doing the modifications? :angel:

Funnily enough it was specifically you and Richard (as the only Bloodbox owners I can remember off the top of my head) I was feeling sorry for when I was working away at my old paint!

Twisting my chassis is what worries me... it is perfect except for the rear member and so I really don't want to bugger it up. Maybe I will just paint it! :wasntme:

roverhaul
29th August 2008, 03:52 PM
Hi Shonky - these pics are bringing back a lot of memories - great job on the paint stripping.

Keep vigilent on your rivet quest - it was a major part of my restoration. It took a while, but I eventually found all the right hardware and we were all really happy with the results. If you can't find the rivets/tools locally, check out my site(roverhaul.com: rivets (http://www.roverhaul.com/rivets.htm)), I have a link to the guy I bought mine from here in the US.

I wound up going with a new galvanized frame & then painted it with POR-15 paint, I liked the black look better. There was a three part process they had for painting over the galv metal.

I'm going to keep watching this thread, can't wait to see more progress.

Thanks!

Dinty
29th August 2008, 04:35 PM
G'day All, Andrew the rivets I used during the restoration of numerous land Rovers of mine have been the genuine shape i.e. round head or mushroom heads, I'm a real loonie for the genuine article.
Nice job on yours Roverhaul cheers Dennis:wasntme:

Shonky
30th August 2008, 12:46 AM
Hi Shonky - these pics are bringing back a lot of memories - great job on the paint stripping.

Keep vigilent on your rivet quest - it was a major part of my restoration. It took a while, but I eventually found all the right hardware and we were all really happy with the results. If you can't find the rivets/tools locally, check out my site(roverhaul.com: rivets (http://www.roverhaul.com/rivets.htm)), I have a link to the guy I bought mine from here in the US.

I wound up going with a new galvanized frame & then painted it with POR-15 paint, I liked the black look better. There was a three part process they had for painting over the galv metal.

I'm going to keep watching this thread, can't wait to see more progress.

Thanks!

Hi Michael.

It's really good to hear from you! If you look carefully through my thread (including post #1!), you will find that your car is referenced or linked numerous times - usually as an example of what I hope mine will look like! :cool:

If I can't find rivets around here I will probably go offshore, so I will keep your contact in mind. ;)

Thankyou for your very interesting and informative site. It has been an invaluable tool thus far in my progress and I look forward to being able to pick your brains now that you are on AULRO - which by the way is the greatest forum on earth. Welcome! :)

Shonky
30th August 2008, 12:57 AM
I'm a real loonie for the genuine article.

Haha! I've noticed! :angel:

Shonky
1st September 2008, 07:56 PM
More progress this weekend. I looked at the rivet supplier in the US that Michael suggested, and now that I have confirmation that I can definately find the right rivets somewhere I was a lot more comfortable with removing the old ones!

I found that the best method to remove them was to drill through the back with a 5mm bit. This removed almost all risk of damaging the outer surface of the panel and meant that if you slipped, the worse you would do is scrape the inner bit that no-one sees. I tried chiseling the heads off but I was so nervous about slipping and gouging the panel or warping the holes that it took me forever. Drilling out 57 dome rivets and 4 poppers took me about 10 minutes, and that was going carefully. ;)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/31082008598.jpg

I also had to gently bend back the right angle lip on the rearward edge so I could slide the frame out. Since I don't have a gas torch handy (still up at the farm) I just took it gently and only bent it as much as I had to. It was a minor bend so it should be fine without annealing.

I did most of the paint stripping with the frame still in-situ so as to give it a bit more rigidity when scrubbing away at all that bronze green.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/31082008597.jpg

I am glad I pulled it all apart now. Neither the bonnet nor the frame were painted at the point of contact, and they have been slowly corroding each other away for the last 50 years. When I put it together I will paint both items seperately in primer, base and first colour coat prior to assembly so they remain separated and happy. :cool:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/31082008602.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/31082008601.jpg

I'm still undecided about galvanising... (I know, changed my mind again!) I don't plan on taking this one off road - I'm getting a little too pedantic with things, so I think it will end up being a show pony. That in mind I probably don't need to galvanise it. :)

Now to get onto the business end. I need to panel beat out some of the dents and bumps, and equipment permitting - start painting (probably badly, until I get the hang of it! :p)

Crawling along. :)

Sleepy
1st September 2008, 09:20 PM
Looking good mate. Watching with interest.

Rangier Rover
1st September 2008, 09:45 PM
You are doing this one full on. It will be nice when done. Keep up the good work:) Tony

XSiV
2nd September 2008, 07:31 AM
Great work Andrew, you're definitely making progress. Did you call Gavin the panel beater?
If you are looking for tools etc check out Grays Auctions (http://www.graysonline.com.au) there are quit often great bargains on ex shop tools and even brand new stuff.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Josh

Shonky
2nd September 2008, 10:37 AM
Great work Andrew, you're definitely making progress. Did you call Gavin the panel beater?
If you are looking for tools etc check out Grays Auctions (http://www.graysonline.com.au) there are quite often great bargains on ex shop tools and even brand new stuff.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Josh

Thanks Josh. :)

I haven't called him yet. I have decided that I will have a go at it first and once I have had a bit of a fiddle with panel beating I will give him a call. That way, I can ask intelligent and specific questions about the problems I have come up against, rather than "Hi... How do I panel beat?". :p

Thanks for that linky - I will keep my eye on it. :)

Shonky
2nd September 2008, 03:08 PM
I just bought myself a firewall and a crossmember off ebay. :D

This is my first significant expenditure on components, and I had better get used to it because there's still a lot of stuff I need. :(

Firewall: $180
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/455b_1.jpg

Crossmember: $150
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/92a1_1.jpg

I didn't think this was unreasonable, although I probably could have got them cheaper if I hunted around. That said, I'm not a truffle pig (:p) and I am just happy that I have them on hand.

Will have to go and pick them up this weekend from the 'Gong.

banjo
2nd September 2008, 04:48 PM
I went up to the farm on Monday and Tuesday and had a rather productive (albeit painful) two days of dismantling.

I have now denuded the beast of it's hardtop, tailgate, seats, windscreen and seatbelts.

I know none of those things are particularly hard to do, but being in a shed with very little head room above the roof, and also being largely on my own I thought it was a pretty solid effort.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/15042008366.jpg

The roof was fairly easy to do, although the bolts along the top of the windscreen were a little frustrating at times. Note that I have also removed the glass to lighten the load, as my dear old mum was the only one around to give me a hand lifting it off!

It looks weird without it's lid...
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/15042008362.jpg

The tailgate and windscreen were of course too simple for words but the seatbelts... argh... whoever installed them did so with the nuts on the outside and didn't use bolts or nuts that afforded any level of corrosion resistance. I will have to grind them out at a later stage (no power in this shed :() In the meantime I had to just slash the belts. Oh well.

The seats weren't too bad but those split pins in the backs were horrible. The fact that it was fairly dark also didn't help. ;)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/15042008404.jpg

With the windscreen off, the rust along the top of the firewall that I had been valiantly trying to pretend wasn't there, became painfully obvious.

(sorry about the pics - low MP camera and crap light)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/15042008399.jpg

Mind you, I don't think it matters anyway... my firewall is swiss cheese. Methinks I need a new one.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/15042008372.jpg

A bit like my rear crossmember:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/15042008370.jpg

go on be game repair the firewall ,,took me forever to get mine all done bout 3 months it was cheaper than getting another 1 ....BUT VERY FIDLY..

Shonky
2nd September 2008, 05:03 PM
...or I could just use the good one I bought! ;)

I do plan on at least trying to repair the firewall, but I will do it as a seperate project after the rest of old Gus is nearing completion. I could always use a spare firewall ready to go for future projects right?! :D

XSiV
3rd September 2008, 07:56 AM
...or I could just use the good one I bought! ;)

I do plan on at least trying to repair the firewall, but I will do it as a seperate project after the rest of old Gus is nearing completion. I could always use a spare firewall ready to go for future projects right?! :D

or you could sell it on ebay and make your money back on the one you bought. ;)

Shonky
3rd September 2008, 08:00 AM
That thought crossed my mind too!

I will see what my next project is first - saves buying and selling again. :)

Shonky
8th September 2008, 12:38 PM
Well I now have my firewall and crossmember safely home, despite the absolutely atrocious driving conditions weather wise.

The seller was a really nice bloke and we had a good chat. He has generously offered that if he finds any other Landy bits around, he will donate them to me! :D

As an ebayer he was top notch - answered emails super fast and was even quite okay when I was delayed by an hour and a half. He goes by johnshellcove on ebay.

I didn't get anything done this weekend after all that. Saturday was consumed by driving and Sunday went to rewiring my trailer and putting some of them fandangled LED lights on it. :angel:

Shonky
12th September 2008, 06:36 PM
I have put a thread in "The Shopping Trolley" listing my parts shopping list. I will also list prices so that people can get an idea of how much things can cost if they were thinking of doing the same thing.

Shonky's Series II Restoration - Parts Shopping List (http://www.aulro.com/afvb/shopping-trolley/60865-shonkys-series-ii-restoration-parts-shopping-list.html)

Shonky
17th September 2008, 01:32 PM
On Sunday I made the trip up to Cessnock to finally meet the great master Dinty, and pick up a very straight tub which he offered me for a very reasonable price. :D

I was originally supposed to go up on Saturday morning, but I had trouble getting my hands on a trailer (even though a relative had one in their front yard chained to a tree... :mad:) and the Patrol was up at the farm as usual. Plan B consisted of mum bringing one of our trailers back from the farm...

...but like all good "Plan B"s it promptly went to pieces when one of the hubs suffered a catastrophic bearing failure at Rouse Hill and locked up the tyre, ripping a hole in it! :o Mum had also forgotten the spare. :eek:

I ended up towing it home to Baulkham Hills on the flat, and putting it on bricks in the garage. I decided that I would replace the whole hubs rather than just the bearings because there was a stud broken on each side and they were pretty ratty. Newies were also only $30 each and I got Falcon stud pattern so they match my car.

NB: Tyres don't like being run flat... :twisted:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/13092008609.jpg

In the meantime, I managed to scrounge up a trailer and the road trip was on. Luckily, the weather wasn't too bad despite horrendous conditions in the morning and a severe weather warning.

I got to Dennis' place soon after he and his entourage had returned from Displaying his vehicles at the Broke Villiage Fair. There were plenty of willing hands around to help carry the tub around to the trailer, and someone else even tied it on for me! :D

I spent much of my time walking around with my mouth open and my eyes wide... Dennis was kind enough to give me the royal tour of the Alladin's cave that is his shed - packed full of Birmabright treasure!

Dennis was keen to offload as many hints, tips and techniques onto me as he could cram into my brain, and I soaked up every word. Not content with merely dispensing advice, he trawled me around his entire yard picking up various parts and saying things like "have you got one of these?", "is your one of these in good nick?" and "Here have this whether you need it or not!" :o

It was like Christmas - only with better presents and a skinnier Santa! :lol2:

Eventually, after trying valiantly to not let Dinty give me too much stuff, I left with a Bell-housing, a hand-throttle, 2x fuel fillers, 2x filler cappings (R+L), a seatbox, a mid-seat tool tray and a *perfect* set of skirts for which Dennis accepted a measly sum of $45 (He tried to give them to me for $40!). oh... and I had my new tub too! :p

As anyone who has ever seen any of Dennis' vehicles in the flesh will attest, the photos on REMLR do not do them justice. The incredible workmanship on these old trucks is absolutely mind boggling. While all of them were impressive and intriguing in their own way, I was most taken with his blood-box which goes by the name Dianne-May. (had to be careful how I worded that - it shares it's name with his wife! :lol2:) Combining three interests (medical, military and Land-Rovers) is what makes these things so appealing to me - I would love to restore one someday... :angel:

The trip back to Sydney could have been interesting too... not far down the F3 I decided to check the load as it had shifted ever so slightly. It turned out that it was hanging on by a thread - the crappy nylon ropes had rubbed through! :o I hate to think what would have happened had it come off at 100km/h plus... :eek: After I tied it down again with some strategically placed carboard and towels to stop chaffing I was on my way again.

...or not. Freakin' battery had died. :censored: I eventually managed to coax it into giving me enough juice to just turn over, and luckily got back to Sydney. $190 later the nice men from NRMA had put a new battery in for me. :( At least I was home...

Thank you so much to Dennis for what was a very informative and inspiring visit. I hope to catch up with you sometime soon around the traps!

Sleepy
17th September 2008, 06:30 PM
Ahhh, I love a happy ending! :D
Well done mate. Sounds like you had a real adventure. Remember it's the journey......

Shonky
29th September 2008, 12:58 PM
As anyone who has ever seen any of Dennis' vehicles in the flesh will attest, the photos on REMLR do not do them justice. The incredible workmanship on these old trucks is absolutely mind boggling. While all of them were impressive and intriguing in their own way, I was most taken with his blood-box which goes by the name Dianne-May. (had to be careful how I worded that - it shares it's name with his wife! :lol2:) Combining three interests (medical, military and Land-Rovers) is what makes these things so appealing to me - I would love to restore one someday...

Well what do you know... I am now living the dream!

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/remlr-projects/64417-ambrose-shonkys-1965-series-iia-ambulance.html

Don't worry though, I am still working on Gus just as enthusiastically. He won't be forgotten! ;)

Shonky
12th November 2008, 02:04 PM
I spent 4 days up at the farm over this weekend-ish period, but unfortunately didn't get to so much as look at poor ol' Gus. :(

I did however get plenty more work done on the shed, which will house him for the most part of his resto! :D

New shed will have doors, space, benches, lights (thank god!) no pig crap, no trehcn running through the middle, and best of all, I found an ancient cast iron stove in a neighbour's gully, so that will be going in the corner for heating and tea making. :D

I put 'ol Blue to good use most of the weekend, carting trees, logs, rocks and anything else I was too weak or lazy to lift myself. :p

Pics to follow. ;)

Shonky
12th November 2008, 03:16 PM

Sleepy
12th November 2008, 09:41 PM
Dib dib dib - you're a regular boy scout.:D

Is that another vehicle in the background you're not telling us about; No8 SMILEY the racing Laser?:p:p

Shonky
13th November 2008, 09:16 AM
Hahaha! I was actually a Joey, Cub, Scout, Venturer, Rover... :angel: The shed is made entirely from timber cut from our property (with a teeny weeny 14" chainsaw! :o) and is fixed with twined wire in the same fashion as the rest of the structures on the property (some of which are 80+ years old)

The other vehicle is Bailey's car (Bailey being the dog! :p) He LOVES cars - if a car door is left open he will get in and go to sleep - stay there for hours he will! That particular one is a Paddock Basher known as "the Gnome" but it has "BAILEY" emblazoned on the side. No joke, I only put that on there because "CARNEGIE-SMITH" is too freakin long, and the dog happened to be sitting in the drivers seat while I was painting! Number 8? Thats the best number for a paddock basher. It is after all what they are best at! ;)

Sleepy
13th November 2008, 03:50 PM
I was actually a Joey, Cub, Scout, Venturer, Rover...

Why does that not surprise me?:p

Shonky
13th November 2008, 09:17 PM
Bah... :lol2:

How's your driveway? :angel:

Shonky
11th December 2008, 09:53 AM
I have been focussing on Ambrose recently, with the intention of getting him ready for Motorfest on Australia Day. The other day though I had a bit more of a think about Gus.

At present, the plan was to do a full nuts and bolts restoration. That said, there were a few things which would have been not *quite* correct for the vehicle, namely the fact that it would have the wrong engine (2.25) wrong tub (military with twin fillers) wrong hardtop (extra windows) and radial tyres...

Recently I have been considering replacing my Fairmont with a Discovery II. This idea has pretty much been scrapped, mainly because we (Mrs Shonky too) can get an AUIII Fairmont Wagon for about a third of the price of a decent Disco (excluding mods!). So basically, Monty will be replaced with another Monty. That got me thinking that if the Mrs has a car she can drive, I could probably get a 300TDi Defender or something to go on trips in... But they are much the same price as a Disco. :( Truth be told, I don't actually drive that often. I catch public transport during the week and only really drive on the weekend.

With the above in mind I am thinking of changing tac with Gus' buildup. Instead of going for concourse, I think I will go for daily driver spec, and embrace his little dissents from originality.

I still intend to be thorough, and continue my focus on longevity through prevention.

I must admit, a lot of my thinking for this was inspired by reading trip reports on the LROCS website, and seeing how much fun Mark ("Larry" on here) has punting Larry (the 86") around the bush as intended.

As bad as this sounds also, he IS just another SWB Series II. Not exactly rare! I might focus my *restoration* efforts on rarer beasts like Ambrose, and the Fire Tender I will have one day, and the 107" SW I will have one day etc etc...

So we will continue as planned, however not being so anally retentive about using exact spec bolts, the pop rivets in the tub, the bullbar on the front etc. ;)

Sleepy
11th December 2008, 01:38 PM
he IS just another SWB Series II
Wash your mouth!:mad:

Good Idea Shonky! - Let GUS live! - you can always do a nut'n'bolt when you get a "round to-it.":p

Shonky
11th December 2008, 02:40 PM
Well he is! The most populous type in the country it was!

However, that is because the SWB Hardtop is probably the most user friendly variant, and hence ideal for trips and the little bit of driving I actually do. :D

If I do a nut and bolt later on I will be doing him to exact specs. That means no mil tub etc.

Shonky
7th January 2009, 11:35 AM
An update:

Nothing to report. :p

d@rk51d3
7th January 2009, 11:48 AM
HEARTBREAKER!!! :mad:

Got my hopes up for some Land Rover goodness........ but NO!

:dbcry::dbcry::dbcry:

Shonky
7th January 2009, 12:03 PM

Sorry Darky. :(

:lol2:

Who else did I catch?

XSiV
14th January 2009, 11:37 AM
Me, but I'll forgive you because of the great work you've done on ambrose. :)

Dmmos
15th January 2009, 08:31 PM
Damn, I just read this entire thread - to be left with that! :)

Looks fantastic - good job!

Shonky
15th January 2009, 09:28 PM
:D Sorry mate... :angel:

Thanks for the kind words. :) It's okay - you don't have to say he looks good - I know he looks like crap at the moment! :lol2:

Hopefully one day he will look half presentable. :)

Shonky
15th January 2009, 09:45 PM
:D Sorry mate... :angel:

Thanks for the kind words. :) It's okay - you don't have to say he looks good - I know he looks like crap at the moment! :lol2:

Hopefully one day he will look half presentable. :)

Dmmos
15th January 2009, 10:10 PM
lol fair enough...

I guess I mean the project itself looks great :p

Shonky
17th March 2009, 01:22 PM
Poor old Gus... :(

It has been months now and I haven't so much as looked at him or worked on any of him. Ambrose has chewed up a heap of my time and only now am I settling down with the big beastie.

So - back to it aye?

I think it is about high time I got panel beating and painting, so now I am saving the pennies for a compressor and spray gear. I also need a set of hammers and dollies and master Dinty is going to turn me up one of his trick rivet tools made from a modified air chisel (he doesn't know this yet... :p) I am tracking down rivets as we speak and hopefully I will be back into it with a vengeance before long. :D

Keeping me motivated, Mark (longing4alandy) has just bought himself a GREAT little 2A shorty truck cab which should be on the road before long. B)

Check it out:
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/series-2-2a/74781-twice-my-age-crosseyed-cant-hold-her-fluids-but-aint-she-sweet.html

So, Gus has a younger sister. awww... :p

In other news, I have decided that I don't like having a powdercoated firewall. Powdercoated surfaces do funny things after a while, and once the rust gets in it travels undetected leaving a shiny, flimsy powdercoat surface.

So I am thinking I might get it sandblasted and painted and go nuts with the dinitrol.

meh. I'll probably change my mind later on anyway. :angel:

Shonky
23rd March 2009, 11:03 AM
Like a yoyo... :angel:

No, I haven't come back "up" with my plans again, but have decided to go lower yet again! :wasntme:

Away with the club this weekend I spent about two hours looking over old "Digby" with his owner, Ian (who has owned the truck since it was 5 years old!)

For those who don't know the vehicle, Digby is a Series I 88" that has a serious amount of character and history! :eek: It has completed the "Roof of Africa Rally" three times, served as the owners daily driver for 20 years all over Africa, been shipped back and forth across the globe a few times, been rolled, dropped its handbrake and went rolling down a hill with trailer attached and into a tree - writing off the trailer but not the truck! and much more!

It has trailer lights, funny modifications that it has picked up over decades of *real* use as the Wilkes brothers intended, and ratty mismatched paint with peeling stickers.

While I dare not emulate an appearance earned through years of hardship, it made me think yet again what I wanted to do with Gus.

I want to actually USE Gus for what he is meant for, so I may keep the good panels I have set aside for him in reserve for now, and just have a go at panel beating his current ones out. I still want twin tanks, but instead of damaging the straight mil tub I have, I might just hack a hole in the side of the battered civvy one. ;)

So the plan is now: (subject to change of course!)

1. Restore engine, drivetrain and chassis focussing on longevity.
2. upgrade/ modify where desireable ie: brakes, wiring, twin tanks and other tidbits whilst not straying from series rover simplicity.
3. quick and dirty panel job with no bog, as good as I can (so, average) paint job to make the panels match
4. full rego and fun. :)

Shonky
23rd March 2009, 11:11 AM
PS - In other news...

I picked up a heap of miscellaneous parts on Saturday from justincase.

I haven't had a chance to go through it all to see what I have but there is a few goodies in there which will be Gus-bound if required. :)

Theres plenty of other stuff in there too so I will share it around if I see someone in need. ;)

Shonky
4th May 2009, 01:47 PM
Gus will soon have an engine! ;)

Thanks to JDNSW for offering one to me for a very reasonable price, but one has come up recently in a more accessible location and in known condition. :) Hang onto it though mate - I may need it yet... next project is already being scouted out! :angel: (don't tell my mrs! :o)

More info when the engine is picked up. ;)

Treads
4th May 2009, 02:25 PM
Reading this has given me new hope for 'bob', my '59 GS :D

I haven't touched him for 6 months, but I reckon I need to get back into it soon.

Cheers

Shonky
4th May 2009, 02:34 PM
Is bob a GS or a Command Recon? :)

Yep - get back into it - and show us pics! :D

Glad you enjoyed the read. :)

Dinty
4th May 2009, 02:46 PM
G'day All, IIRC it's a C/R from Glouscester cheers Dennis:angel:

Shonky
4th May 2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks Dennis.

I was up at the Tocal Field Days on Saturday - was going to come via the 'nock and see if you were in but had to get back to Sydney...

Treads
4th May 2009, 04:19 PM
Is bob a GS or a Command Recon? :)

G'day All, IIRC it's a C/R from Glouscester

Yeah, woops :wasntme:

He's a C/R :angel:

Dinty
4th May 2009, 06:39 PM
G'day All, Andrew I was at work in Maitland approx 15 minutes from Tocal LOL cheers Dennis:angel:
ps Bolwarra 2 B precise, you would have been only 100 meters from where I was LOL:angel:

Shonky
4th May 2009, 07:45 PM
Bloody oath? Scary! :o

Shonky
11th May 2009, 12:07 PM
On Saturday I went out to Lou (Dullbird) and Ian (Muddymech)s house to pick up Gus' new engine! Mark (longing4alandy) kindly came out to lend a hand too. :D

The donor car was a Home Market (ie: UK - not AU CKD) wide light 2A shorty which they had obtained to provide some bits and bobs for their 2A Ute. :) The Ute has a *very* nice motor in it, so they kindly let me have the engine for little more than a contribution towards the car trailer used to collect the shorty. Thanks guys! :D

The motor came out quite easily - the hardest part was (predictably) getting the blasted floor panels out! Grinder time... :twisted:

Once we had it out it was loaded into the trailer and headed home. I was intending to take it up to the farm next weekend, but have had a change of heart and offloaded it at home in the garage instead. I will clean it up and give it a good check over first, and maybe give it a coat of paint before it meets Gus. :)

Can't do pics from work, unless I work out how to use AULRO galleries... I can't do photobucket from work. :(

Shonky
11th May 2009, 05:52 PM
Ian towing the donor truck into position with the Deefer:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF2906.jpg

Engine about to be pulled:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF2911.jpg

Engine out!:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF2917.jpg

Loading it into the trailer: (the boom of the hoist wouldn't fit under the cage! :()

Home safe! :)
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF2940.jpg

Sleepy
11th May 2009, 06:44 PM
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF2925.jpg

Shonky: "Wow, I've never seen a 2 and a quater without oil leaking out of it!":D

Shonky
11th May 2009, 09:03 PM
whaddya call that big goey stain on dullmech/muddybird's driveway? :D :lol2:

Lotz-A-Landies
11th May 2009, 10:15 PM
Do I recognise that engine lifter?

Was it the same one that lifted my 4.6 a few weeks ago?

Diana

Sleepy
11th May 2009, 10:44 PM
whaddya call that big goey stain on dullmech/muddybird's driveway? :D :lol2:

Land Rover blood. Lucky you've got an ambulance!

Shonky
13th May 2009, 10:16 AM
Do I recognise that engine lifter?

Was it the same one that lifted my 4.6 a few weeks ago?

Diana

Quite possibly! Matt Smith saved my craneless self by loaning me his. I had to pick it up from Neil Flower though so it was a bit of a double loan! :p

I picked mine up yesterday and put it all together. :D Bought an engine stand aswell which will be the subject of an imminent post! :o

Land Rover blood. Lucky you've got an ambulance!

Lucky lucky! :D

You can tell the motor came out of a pommy truck... it was full of proper antifreeze - not coolant! :eek:

Shonky
13th May 2009, 12:03 PM

Bet you hadn't heard of raybans either! :p

foz.in.oz
13th May 2009, 12:19 PM
Just one question Shonky, why bother with the trailer when you had a ute?

Shonky
13th May 2009, 12:24 PM
Well, down to business. B)

I now have the engine home and will be starting work on getting it all ready to be dumped into Gus. ;)

First cab off the rank is going to be a good clean. This is going to be a bit tricky as it is now in my garage at the top of a sloping driveway. I was thinking I might have to tie it back into the trailer, hitch up the vroom vroom and tow it onto the lawn. :(

After that, I was planning on pullilng the head and making sure everything is in order there. :)

The motor was running less than a week ago, although Ian and Lou say that the fuel pump is stuffed. I will pull this out and see if it can be rebuilt or alternatively replace it.

The question is, what sort of other things should I be looking at or doing?

For example, I was thinking of replacing the rear main seal as a preventative measure, but this may be a redundant step? Should I pull apart the bottom end and check the bearing shells for wear and tear? Should I get the cylinders honed or rebored?

Alternatively, should I just give it a coat of paint and fix it only if something goes wrong?

Should start a poll. :p

Shonky
13th May 2009, 12:26 PM
Just one question Shonky, why bother with the trailer when you had a ute?

Was waiting for that. ;)

I was initially planning on parking the trailer with the engine in the garage for the week and towing it up to the farm behind the falcon (which doesn't yet have a towbar) next weekend.

I only had use of the truck for the day. :)

Once I got it home though I decided that was a stupid idea so I unloaded it and am starting work on it here and now, rather than later! :p

Shonky
14th May 2009, 09:05 AM
Shonkys Lesson for the Day:

"Flywheel bolts are bastard things and cheap sockets suck."

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/general-chat/79325-got-engine-stand-got-engine-now-how-banana-do-i-put-them-together.html

I had a good look at my engine stand last night and found that the arms will not clear the clutch assembly anyway, so I decided to strip the clutch, flywheel and flywheel housing to allow me to mount the stand direct to the block.

The clutch all came off fine, but the flywheel bolts were too tight for my cheap sockets and I completely rounded the socket. :(

Off to the tool shop tonight, and take two with the flywheel. :(

HBWC
14th May 2009, 10:29 AM
a trick i learnt from working in wrecking yards is to use a bracker-nuckel bar and hit the end creating a shock to crack the seal on the nut
should make life easyer and stop rounding sockets

Shonky
14th May 2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks mate - was doing exactly that but unfortunately by the time I got to the last three the socket had rounded off. Need to get a decent socket set! :o

I didn't mention above that I got most of them off - should have said that aye! ;)

foz.in.oz
15th May 2009, 07:43 AM
Buy yourself a set of six sided sockets. Impact sets are six sided and aren't that expensive. Make a much better job of tight bolts.

The air impact wrench can sometimes be your friend here too.

Shonky
15th May 2009, 08:03 AM
All done. :)

I lashed out and spent some bucks on a decent socket set. My wallet hurts... :(

Once I was using decent tools it was easy as! Took me 5 minutes and no bashed knuckles! :D

I was thinking that an impact wrench would have made life very simple, but I can only do stuff after work when it is far to late to be using air tools. :(

Dinty
15th May 2009, 08:24 AM
G'day All, Andrew, my thoughts, if the engine is a runner albeit has a problem with the lift pump (fuel), before washing it down, I would be looking for telltale signs of oil leaks around the front engine pulley, now that you have the flywheel off were there any signs of a huge oil loss from the rear main bearing oil seal, if not leave them be (the rear main bearing oil seal is a real trick to do, not something for the novice),, I would replace the welch plugs with brass types, giving the block a good washout before hand, fit the engine and see how it all goes.
I could waffle on about how to do lots of things, but they all take time, something I don't have cheers mate Dennis:angel:

Shonky
15th May 2009, 11:15 AM
G'Day Dennis. :)

No evidence of leaking at all from the rear main. I might just leave it alone. ;)

I forgot about the plugs - yes they should be done!

So the consensus is to just tidy it up and paint it?

Phoenix
15th May 2009, 12:22 PM
A decent socket set was the first "proper" tools that I bought, and wasn't I glad that I ddi. The air ratchet that I got from supercheap will be in for some use as well soon :D . I've not got an impact socket set, so no rattle gun for me yet, but soon I hope :D

Sometimes if it aint broken, it's best not to fix it ;)

Shonky
18th May 2009, 09:14 AM
A decent socket set was the first "proper" tools that I bought, and wasn't I glad that I ddi. The air ratchet that I got from supercheap will be in for some use as well soon :D . I've not got an impact socket set, so no rattle gun for me yet, but soon I hope :D

Sometimes if it aint broken, it's best not to fix it ;)

Air tools (mainly for painting...) are next on my big ticket item list. ;)

I usually subscribe to the don't fix what ain't broke philosophy, but I am worried that I will put it in the truck and it will decide to **** itself AFTER I get it bolted up and buried under the body! :p

I guess I can always pull it out again... :angel:

It is decided. I will just do the bare, cheapest minimum. And then I will pull it out again when it farts its oil into the flywheel. :lol2:

Shonky
20th May 2009, 02:29 PM
Okely dokely.

Rang Master Danielson today and ordered me some plugs. ;) Rather than fart arsing around I got a full set to do the whole motor.

I ordered some 3/8 UNF high tensiles the other day so they should arrive before the weekend. When that happens I can finally bolt the lump to my engine stand and give it a thorough wash.

Will grab a new fuel pump off eBay next week and give the motor a coat of paint. I'm buying cheap engine enamel from Bunnings and painting it grey - can't be bothered trying to find the elusive "duck egg blue" and I don't care anyway! :p

Sleepy
20th May 2009, 05:14 PM
You got something against ducks:mad:

Good Luck Andrew - remember Rule #2 Engine start doesn't happen without video.

Shonky
21st May 2009, 09:31 AM
I'm a fair way off starting the engine, but yes - video will be forthcoming! :D

I have nothing against ducks, as long as they are grey ducks and easy to find. :p

Coops... lol. Just lol. :lol2: :D

And now for the next update!

My bolts arrived last night and so I got the engine bolted up to the stand. Mucho bettero. :D

Now for the bad news. The engine stand has facility to rotate the engine longditudinally, and is held in place by a small locking pin with a key ring on it. I had just got everything done up tight and unhitched the engine crane, when my sleeve caught the keyring on the pin and pulled it out. :eek:

The result? The engine promptly turned itself upside down and emptied 6L of sump oil all through the garage. :o

There is now a BIG stain on the garage floor - and its a rental house. :( bye bye bond...

After destroying three of my bath towels trying to mop up the spill, I manouvered the crane back over the motor and used the front lift point to hoist it upright again. I put a 3 inch eye bolt in the hole and threw the stupid little pin in the bin. :mad:

After that I decided I didn't want to play engines anymore that night so went inside. The mrs had a package that arrived for me - a main wiring loom! :D

I got pics, but will have to post them when I get home. ;)

What a useless day that was. :(

XSiV
21st May 2009, 10:32 AM
Kitty litter is good for absorbing oil spills. To get rid of the stain you could dowse it with degreaser and then throw a generous cover of kitty litter on it to absorb it all up. Just let the degreaser soak in and do it's stuff before you throw the kitty litter on though. Also soap and water, a tough scrubbing brush and some elbow grease might do the job also.

Shonky
21st May 2009, 01:15 PM
I have a source of dri-sorb (proper chem spill "kitty litter") so I'll grab some of that this arvo. ;)

My kitty is big enough to pee outside now so I didn't have any kitty litter on hand at 10pm! :lol2:

Will have a good old scrub and see how I go. :( Less time on the car. :(

You may laugh if you wish. :angel:

AKW
21st May 2009, 06:20 PM
Kero& sawdust work well also.
Probably can not get eather in syd now
good luck

andrew

93tdi disco
65 88'S2a

Sleepy
21st May 2009, 06:42 PM
Yeah kero and a stiff broom is what I used to use in the "Servo". If nothing else, it will spread it to an even grey smudge!:D

d@rk51d3
21st May 2009, 07:08 PM
You may laugh if you wish. :angel:

:clap2:

Brilliant stuff, mate.

Sounds like something I'd do.:D

----EDIT----
:(

Sorry, I don't know what came over me.:angel:

Shonky
22nd May 2009, 09:34 AM
PICS:

Order 4x 3/8" High Tensiles from the bolt shop. They only had 4 inch ones so I had to space them out.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3073.jpg

All mounted up - makes things very accessible and also means I can move the bastard around! :D Why would you do it any other way? (it cost me $75! :o)
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3072.jpg

After the pin-pull incident. :(
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3075.jpg

Looking like the Exxon-Valdez...
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3078.jpg

Shonky
24th May 2009, 09:35 PM
This weekend I got to work tidying up the engine and giving it a bit of a health check.

After draining what little oil was left, I attacked the greasy lump with degreaser and the guerney. Once the muck came off there was evidence of duck egg blue enamel. I had decided to repaint it grey, but a trip to SuperCrap was fruitless. They had hot pink, fairy pink, bright yellow, purple, orange, red, light blue or dark blue. I narrowed it down to GMH red or Ford Deep blue, and chose the latter based purely on my allegiance to the blue oval. :p

With the motor clean outside, I knocked out the welch plugs. I started off using a screwdriver, but found that just punched holes so I ended up using a socket extension bar instead. ;) I also pulled off the water pump and gave the whole motor a very thorough flush out. The water pump was in good nick and there was no sign of play in the bearings so I cleaned it up and painted it ready to go back on.

The welch plugs were also in very good nick and looked like they had not seen much work. The core plugs were less cooperative however, and I am at a loss as to how to remove these. Presumably you crack them around with a chisel?

The plug for the block heater (not fitted) was also jammed solid and will need a bit of propane persuasion to come out methinks. :(

This afternoon I pulled the head off. As I was pulling the sparkies out I noted that No. 4 was crusty and the other three were heavily carbonised. The No. 4 outlet port also had oiley sooty residue.

Once I got the head off there was an obvious problem - the head gasket was blown between 3 and 4 cylinders.

The bores are also a little glazey to my eye...

Over the next few days I will clean up the head a little more and try and decide wether I should put it in to the shop to get it shaved and checked. $$$ :(

I pulled the fuel pump too, and it seems to be operating okay. It didn't want to work for Ian and Lou so I don't know... I may just replace it anyway. They are reasonably cheap off eBay.

Addit - Got distracted and now it's bedtime.

Pics will have to wait until tomorrow! :D :p

HBWC
25th May 2009, 12:01 AM
might be worth shaveing the head to help with unleaded fuel

getting their slowly when are you going to start the big jigsaw puzle?

Shonky
25th May 2009, 08:07 AM
I want to reweld the drivers footwell (replacement) in the firewall, as the person I bought it off couldn't weld for ****! Once thats done I can get it sandblasted, zinc sprayed and colour sprayed. Then it is just a case of swapping stuff over from the old 'wall.

The engine needs a new headgasket and a clean up, and then I can mate it to a gearbox (my current one is an unknown quantity) and put it on the chassis.

Speaking of the chassis, I need to weld the new rear member on to it, fix up a crushed front dumbiron and give it a coat of paint. I am undecided on wether I should galvanise it first.

I'm not going to touch the axles / diffs etc unless they give me greif.

Looking to grab a set of Parabolics, and then I can bolt it all together. and start putting the panels back on!

Need to recover the seats and redo the brakes also, and want to upgrade the lighting to relay operated H4s. (it will be a daily after all :) )

Shonky
25th May 2009, 09:33 AM
Nice and clean...
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3079.jpg

Paint test:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3097.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3098.jpg

Blown head gasket

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3105.jpg

Bores are boring. :p
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3110.jpg

Shonky
25th May 2009, 09:37 AM
God that camera is finnicky. Sorry about crappy pic No. 1 - unless you have the friggen thing *perfectly* still, it come out messy.

Never had this problem with any other camera! :(

JDNSW
25th May 2009, 11:01 AM
might be worth shaveing the head to help with unleaded fuel

Shaving the head may be a good idea, depending on what C/R it is already, but it won't help with unleaded fuel. What helps with that is steel valve seats, but I have been running mine for years without this without any sign of valve seat recession.

John

Shonky
25th May 2009, 12:43 PM
I've heard that from a number of people of reputable people now John (including yourself), and haven't used Lead additive in Ambrose now for months.

I was planning on doing the same with this motor. :)

Sleepy
25th May 2009, 04:04 PM
......I had decided to repaint it grey, but a trip to SuperCrap was fruitless. They had hot pink, fairy pink, bright yellow, purple, orange, red, light blue or dark blue. I narrowed it down to GMH red or Ford Deep blue, and chose the latter .......

Disappointing Andrew :mad:.....what happened to the Oxford Street allegiance?

Seriously........ Looking good mate, can't wait to see Ol'Gus on the road.

Shonky
26th May 2009, 08:29 AM

I was going to get a can and do a test spray - just for you! :p

But it was expensive and I am poor. :(

Shonky
3rd June 2009, 10:35 AM
Bit of an update - pics will have to wait as I am using the mother in-law's Crapple Macinflush which isn't compatible with my Ext-HD.

Stripped the block of ancilliaries and dropped the sump. Cleaned a good amount of clay like goop out! Iniside the block was very clean and everything seemed in order. Painted the sump gloss black and set aside.

Painted the block (deep Ford blue) and bolted up the water pump, sump, filler tube, dipstick tube and oil filter with new gaskets all 'round. As a hats off to modern cars and their "only touch the bright coloured things" user servicing principles, I painted the dipstick cap yellow... :angel: Well, that and I had run out of black paint.

It looks garish! :D

Manifolds copped a coat of silver (exhaust) and black (inlet) and in accordance with the instructions I baked the manifolds at 200 degrees for 30 mins to 'set' the paint. The missus then went to bake cookies the next day and I got in deep ****. :(

Manifold and paint flavoured choc-chip cookies are NOT a winner... :o

Am going to get the head checked and cleaned by a pro, so will drop that off today sometime.

Bought some parabolics off eBay for $750, so will pick them up soon.

Have been going through the NOS wiring loom I bought with a marker pen, roll of tape and a wiring diagram. Anyone bought a vinwire harness recently and want to share their allegedly simple instructions?

Bloke across the road has been sent a threatening "cease and desist" from council regarding him using spray gear. Stupid neighbours whinged about noxious fumes and overspray - but he only uses acrylic! (= little overspray and no nasties) ignorant Wednesday Tennis *******. Dunno how I am going to spray gus now. Might just do it in the backyard and hope noone notices...

Have to go do my tax return now. I want my kruddy money.

Pics later! :D

Sleepy
4th June 2009, 07:01 PM
Good one Andrew, I saw those parabolics too and thought that was a fair price. They should make for a nice ride.

Bummer about the oven - oh well. What's more important, cookies or manifolds? :lol2:

ezyrama
4th June 2009, 08:12 PM
believe it or not, Dynamo laundry liquid is unreal for lifting oil stains

Shonky
5th June 2009, 11:23 AM
Well I'm home from work today, and I feel rancid. :( I slept for 15 hours solid last night - very out of character! :o

Since my head feels like it is full of acid and my joints are aching, I don't think I will be able to make much progress with Gus over the long weekend. :(

I will put my pics up today, but thats about all thats happening. :(

Shonky
5th June 2009, 03:02 PM

Don't think it was the cookies Coops. ;)

...but yes - I ate them. :(

Sleepy
5th June 2009, 06:22 PM
Well I'm home from work today, and I feel rancid. :( I slept for 15 hours solid last night - very out of character! :o

Since my head feels like it is full of acid and my joints are aching, I don't think I will be able to make much progress with Gus over the long weekend. :(

I will put my pics up today, but thats about all thats happening. :(

Go to the docs mate, sounds like you've got a pig of a cold;)

Shonky
6th June 2009, 08:52 AM
Feeling better today!

Just a tickly throat. ;)

Hopefully will pick up the parabolics tonight, and will do some grinding and welding on the firewall today once swmbo gets her lazy uni student arse out of bed... :angel:

Shonky
7th June 2009, 12:46 PM
Stirrer. :p

Went on an exploratory grinding expedition yesterday, and found that altough the guy had done a crap welding job on the footwell, he had done a LOT of crap welding and then ground it flat. I quickly got the impression that I wasn't going to get it off without butchering it and so the executive decision was to leave it alone. The footwell is on a slight angle (outer side is about 5mm further forward than the inner) but it shouldn't affect anything significantly.

I will sandblast it and get it zinc sprayed and then we can get some colour going... Eventually.

I will put the head in to get reco'd on Tuesday, and then after a coat of paint I can bolt it up and the motor is done. I also want to get the flywheel machined while it is apart.

The firewall hence is my big target after the motor is done. I will head up to the farm sometime soon (might even do a day trip tomorrow if I can get a leave pass) and pull off Gus' old firewall so I can start swapping things over.

I'm in a quandry at the moment. :(

The motor is as done as I can get it, the firewall I can't do anything to until I get it prepped and painted, I can't do any of the panel work because my blowtorch is at the farm and I still haven't got a set of dollies and hammers, I can't paint because I haven't got either paint nor spray gear yet...

In short, I have so much to do yet I am sitting here bored and unable to do any of it. :( Snookered myself...

Grr. :mad:

Shonky
7th June 2009, 12:47 PM
and pics as promised... :angel:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3117.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3120.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3127.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3138.jpg

Shonky
7th June 2009, 01:00 PM
Okay thats it.

I'm bored stupid.

Heading up to the farm this arvo so I can do some stuff on the old beastie. Need to chop some wood for the old dear aswell. Shes not exactly handy with an axe and the nights are getting cooooold...

Sleepy
7th June 2009, 01:44 PM
That blue looks fine.

Hey Andrew you have just proved Inc's swear filter does not work on whiteboards! :lol2:

Dinty
7th June 2009, 01:47 PM
G'day All, Andrew it's starting to look OK, that enguine appears nice n clean inside ? was it like that when you dropped the sump?, and watch out cause your Mum reads these posts LOL cheers Dennis:p:angel:

Shonky
9th June 2009, 10:07 AM
Woops!

That's my to-do list for Gus on the whiteboard! :angel:

Yep - I didn't do a thing in there Dennis. Dropped the sump, cleaned some old gummy oil out of the bottom of it, turned the block upside down and said "I think I might just leave it all alone!" :D

Shonky
9th June 2009, 10:52 AM
5 minutes before I walked out the door on Sunday, I gave Mark (longing4alandy) a call and asked if he was up for a roadtrip. Luckily, he was bored too so I swung by his place and we headed west.

We didn't get up there until nightfall unfortunately, so after a breif night-bushbash around the farm in the Patrol we turned in for dinner (thanks mum).

Monday morning we got stuck into it with a vengeance, after breakfast (thanks again mum).

Before breakfast, I had already dismantled the wall of the shed and attacked the one remaining wing. I was already sick of fighting with flailing no-longer-captive bolts in the tiny available space, so I just dragged the front of the wing around 90 degrees to the truck. I then got the two bolts in the slotted holes free by wrenching the guard up so the bolts pulled out of the slots, and I then attacked the remaining bolt with the drill and a chisel. After first trying to get the wing off 6 years ago, it is finally off! :D

The damage? It's a bit bent, but it's no worse than the rest of the truck. :angel:

The main task for the day was to be the firewall, and the Holden 186 if we had time.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3140.jpg

With some help from the manual (using mainly as a checklist before the final heave-ho) we set to work disconnecting the various things which are built onto the firewall.

Predictably, the steering linkages gave us the most trouble, and after a half-arsed effort at splitting ball joints without a splitter, we ended up wrestling the long arm off the splined shaft on the relay box.

We couldn't get the last bolt out of the floor (the drill had run out of electrical juice) and it was too big an ask to lie in the dirt to pull the sills so the whole lot came out as one.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3152.jpg

Gus is now completely devoid of bodywork, and is now ready to have the motor plucked and get taken down to Sydney for final welding repairs, painting and fitment of parabolics before the new engine, firewall and body is put back on. He looks very nude!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3156.jpg

In the end we ran out of time to pull the motor, so we left it for next time. The firewall was loaded onto the ute for mum to bring into Sydney next weekend and we headed off for a bit of a jaunt down to the old Glen Davis mines.

Glen Davis Road (unsealed) was the worst I have ever seen it and the tracks into the mines were not doing so well either. The vibrations and potholes were so bad it rubbed through the ropes holding the firewall! :o

Mum will have to retie it when she comes down. :)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3153.jpg

HBWC
9th June 2009, 11:22 AM
Are you going to loop off tho's chassie extentions on gus???

Shonky
9th June 2009, 11:31 AM
Nope. They are for the bullbar which I am now going to use. ;)

When I was thinking of doing a nut and bolt resto, I was going to lop them off so I could put on a standard bumper.

Now that he is being rebuilt more as a daily driver / trip truck the bullbar should be useful! :D

Shonky
9th June 2009, 08:11 PM
I gots more toys! :D

Grabbed a new fuel pump and rocker cover gasket today from CLR - while I picked up my parabolics. :twisted:

It's coming...

dullbird
10th June 2009, 12:07 PM
looking good......

As soon as that pile on our drive way goes we can make a start on ours...got some straight wings too 40bux each :)

Shonky
10th June 2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks Lou. :)

The pile should be gone on Saturday! :D I'm bringing my angle grinder... :twisted:

Shonky
15th June 2009, 08:49 AM
I spent most of Saturday playing with other peoples IIAs, so I didn't get any work done on Gus until Sunday. :)

Mum dropped off the complete firewall in the afternoon and I now have the old and the new lined up side by side in the garage. The plan of attack is to just paint the firewall. I was going to reweld the footwell, have the powdercoating sandblasted away and have it zinc-sprayed - but I have come to the conclusion that it is all too hard, too expensive and there is nothing wrong with painting it as-is. After painting, I will start to swap things over, checking as I go.

I spent a bit of time painting fiddly bits. It was damp but they weren't important things so I don't care about the finish. I got the manifold heatshield and tailpipe done in manifold silver and painted a few other engine bay bits and bobs in gloss black.

Ian shared a few more goodies on Saturday, including a tailpipe and muffler, handbrake lever assembly etc. Thanks mate! :D (and Lou too...)

Pics this arvo when I get home. :)

Sleepy
15th June 2009, 06:37 PM
Mum dropped off the complete firewall in the afternoon .........

Make sure you remember her next mothers day - perhaps some new riggers gloves and some nice new tie down straps :angel: - what a mum!:D

isuzutoo-eh
15th June 2009, 08:58 PM
Make sure you remember her next mothers day - perhaps some new riggers gloves and some nice new tie down straps :angel: - what a mum!:D

I believe she was given some new ratchet straps in return anyway!

Shonky
16th June 2009, 07:40 AM
Correct! :D

I did indeed give her some new tie downs, and she is constantly losing gloves and I constantly replace them. :(

I usually check that the truck is stocked up whenever I have it. It always has:

- bag of ropes and ratchet straps
- 2x Fire Extinguishers
- First Aid Kit
- Recovery Kit
- Tarp
- 5L Water
- Maglite
- Lighters
- Leatherman
- Gloves

It's amazing how much crap you can cram behind the seats! :D

Yep she's a good ol' mum. :)

Shonky
16th June 2009, 07:42 AM
Back to Gus. :)

Started dulling off the powdercoat finish on the firewall last night, in preparation for painting hopefully this weekend. I can't wait for fairer weather so I am thinking of buying a dehumidifier and locking it in the garage to dry.

It's amazing how fast powdercoating blunts wet and dry! :o

Shonky
21st June 2009, 02:41 PM
Well I woke up on Friday morning and was unable to see, on account of my eyes forcing themselves closed in searing pain.

A pre dawn trip to the quack revealed that I have an ulcer on my cornea. :censored:

So... that ruined my plans for the weekend. :(

Since I have an eye full of sticky ointment, stirring up powder-coat dust is probably not the best idea. Since I also can't drive, I haven't been able to get my paint made up or pickup my compressor.

On the engine front, the head shop called me up the other day saying that they couldn't get valve stem seals and so were going to order some from the interstate! :o

A quick call to LVS and I dropped some off the next day. ;)

Should be able to pick the head up on Monday afternoon, clean, straight and wrapped in cling-wrap. :D

Shonky
27th June 2009, 12:33 PM
Well I was planning on picking up Gus' paint today, as the paint shop in question clearly advertises on it's website as being open Saturdays from 8am - 12 midday.

So at 8am this morning I hit the road for the 1hr 15min journey to the geographic opposite side of the Sydney basin only to arrive and find the ****ing doors locked and a tatty sign made out of printer paper saying "closed saturdays" :mad:

I had to go for a walk to stop myself from driving through their shopfront...

I am a particularly easy going bloke, but I was *seriously* angry at the waste of my time and money.

2 and a half hours wasted, along with quater of a tank of petrol. NOT HAPPY AT ALL.

In keeping with forum rules I will not name the place publicly, but if anyone is looking for paint and wants to know who it was that ****s their customers around this much, PM me.

REALLY REALLY ****ED OFF.

Sleepy
30th June 2009, 06:29 PM
As they would say in the Toyota ad - Bugger!:(

Shonky
1st July 2009, 08:18 AM
To make matters worse, when I rang them up and expressed my displeasure (politely) they were disenterested, until I dared to suggest that perhaps since they wasted my time they could courier my paint to me at their cost!

Their response? If you are going to be like that then we may aswell not bother - lets just forget about it"

"I DIDN'T COME TO YOUR SHOP TO DO YOU A ****ING SERVICE YOU MORON - I CAME TO YOU BECAUSE I ****ING NEED PAINT AND GUESS WHAT? I STILL DO!"

They wouldn't budge and so I am going to have to either take a day off work and go and pick it up (2x quarter tank of petrol + 2x 2.5 hours of my time + 1 days lost wages = more than the paint) or pay for a courier.

I had no joy finding a different paint shop that could do it either. :(

I almost just went and bought a few pressure packs of Brunswick Green from Bunnings and was done with it. :mad:

Oh, and apparently they haven't opened on Saturdays for about three years and "I should have called to confirm" what it says on their website. :confused:

Shonky
1st July 2009, 08:24 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaanyhoo... :(

In other news I picked up the head the other day. In contrast to my paint experience, I am very happy with Peter's Head Shed on Foundry Rd in Seven Hills. :)

I had them pressure test and clean it all up, machine it down a bit and replace the valve stem seals.

I have given it a coat of Ford Deep Blue and will put it back on this week, along with ancilliaries.

The firewall is rubbed back and awaiting primer (and colour... :mad:) and once it's green I can start fitting it out and take the old one to the tip. Once the 'wall is complete I can get the chassis down from the farm, weld up my rear member and start putting it all together! :D

isuzutoo-eh
1st July 2009, 03:27 PM
Hey mate,
Pity about the PIA paintshop. If you want I can go get it.

If you're going to chuck your old firewall, does it have any meat left on the door posts/where the door hinges are? I think Mary is going to need a little material replacement in that area.
Cheers,
Mark

Shonky
2nd July 2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the offer Mark, but it is all sorted now. :)

One of the staff (the paint expert, not the owner) has called in a favour with a supplier who is out my way. He's arranged for them to take my paint back to their warehouse when they next make a delivery to the paint shop (late this week / early next week). :D Champion!

Coops... I don't think I could. :) I wouldn't want to diminish the individuality of the poufe souffle. :p

Mark - by "tip" I mean "farm" so you are welcome to chop bits out of it. ;)

Shonky
2nd July 2009, 10:57 AM
Head:

Got the head back on last night, and had just finished bolting down the rocker assembly when I realised I had forgotten to put the pushrods in. :mad: ****...

Stripped it again and got it all back together properly and fitted up the manifolds. New set of sparkies too courtesy of Inc.

Pics later. :)

HBWC
2nd July 2009, 11:22 AM
why not brunswick green from bunnings mine is and alot cheaper than car paint

Shonky
2nd July 2009, 12:41 PM
Why not just buy a Land Cruiser? :p

I am trying to keep it as Land Rover as possible, and the only concession at this stage has been the engine colour which will soon be greasy/rusty/dirty brown anyway! And no-one will see it... ;)

This is going to be my daily as well as my trip truck so I want it to look nice. :D

mudmouse
2nd July 2009, 04:42 PM
Well I was planning on picking up Gus' paint today, as the paint shop in question clearly advertises on it's website as being open Saturdays from 8am - 12 midday.

So at 8am this morning I hit the road for the 1hr 15min journey to the geographic opposite side of the Sydney basin only to arrive and find the ****ing doors locked and a tatty sign made out of printer paper saying "closed saturdays" :mad:

I had to go for a walk to stop myself from driving through their shopfront...

I am a particularly easy going bloke, but I was *seriously* angry at the waste of my time and money.

2 and a half hours wasted, along with quater of a tank of petrol. NOT HAPPY AT ALL.

In keeping with forum rules I will not name the place publicly, but if anyone is looking for paint and wants to know who it was that ****s their customers around this much, PM me.

REALLY REALLY ****ED OFF.

Mate, that's no good at all. Not wanting to 'bomb' your pain but in '90 I drove from Sydney to Oakey (Queensland) to see an airshow...slept in the car and fronted up to the gates at 7am only to be told it was cancelled due to security threats as a result of the first Gulf War - no ads, no apologies and I wasn't the only one - just one of the joys of following your passion.

Anyhoo, Gus is looking good - great write up too!

Matt.

Shonky
3rd July 2009, 07:13 AM
Thanks Matt. :)

Wow - that *really* sucks! :o

Gus will look good one day... :angel: Engine is done, firewall is the next challenge and then the chassis, brakes, wiring etc etc.

Shonky
6th July 2009, 12:27 PM
Firewall is now in primer! :D

Finally got some warm enough, dry enough weather to splash some paint around so I got the right wing done in 3 coat primer and I got a coat onto the firewall too.

The last coat I put on the wing was on the lean side of wet, so I got some dusting but nothing that matters on primer.

The firewall looks a lot better if only because it is finally all one colour, but will be happy when it is Pastel Green and I can finally start swapping the ancilliaries over from the rusty one. Colour should arrive this week, so next weekend should see some greenery happening. :D

I did a run up to Hilton's on Saturday too and grabbed a few odds and sods. Also got to have a good poke around his new non-LR toy and Diana's Mk. 3. :D

Sleepy
6th July 2009, 03:58 PM
Firewall is now in primer! :D

:spudnikwhat::rulez: :spudnikserious:

lane
6th July 2009, 05:50 PM
Maybe he got primer on the lens? :p

Shonky
6th July 2009, 09:16 PM
I'll get you in primer soon Sleeps... :mad:

:p

Yes - rulz et al. Pics are uploading now and will be here imminently, along with some backdated ones. ;)

Shonky
6th July 2009, 09:37 PM
Old pics first. :)

Mum dropped off my firewall. Engine cranes are an incredibly useful thing - especially when you have to lift a fully furnished firewall off a ute by yourself.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3192.jpg

The old and the newer, the bad and the good. ;)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3245.jpg

Head all cling wrapped and clean. :D

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3261.jpg

Shonky
6th July 2009, 09:39 PM
Head on - with the FREAKIN' PUSHROADS in this time... :angel:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3272.jpg

Ancilliaries on. :)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3282.jpg

Shonky
6th July 2009, 09:40 PM
FIREWALL! :D

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3305.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3307.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3308.jpg

lane
6th July 2009, 09:47 PM
You gotta be happy with that, Andrew! Looking fantastic!

isuzutoo-eh
7th July 2009, 12:46 PM
Looking Great, mate! :D
Coming along real well, End of August looking good? I'd better get a giggle on with Mary :eek:

My hands smell like brake fluid :cool:

Shonky
7th July 2009, 02:17 PM
It's going to be a hell of a fight to get him good for August! :eek:

Going at it hell for leather though! :D

Damn right you'd better get going! Theres gonna be some real egg on your face if you can't get your complete car on the road before I get my bag-o-bits special there! :p

HBWC
7th July 2009, 09:28 PM
their not that much left to do apart from paint and fit is their???
bt as useall it will be done to your high standards

Shonky
8th July 2009, 08:47 AM
Still haven't touched the chassis yet Jono! :o It needs a new rear cross member but I have it on the stockpile and it shouldn't take too long.

After that...
- paint chassis
- swap the gear over to the new firewall
- brake reline, reshoe and recylinder
- engine and gearbox in (and find out if my g/b is rooted...)
- recover seats
- tune and adjust motor, brakes et al.
- find set of bartreads for Ambrose so I can pilfer his radials for Gus
- rewire
- assemble
- register

Painting will have to wait! :(

Sleepy
8th July 2009, 09:05 AM
Sounding good Andrew .Fingers crossed on the Gearbox.

Shonky
10th July 2009, 09:43 PM
FINALLY got my freakin' paint today!

The paint shop had called in a favour with one of their suppliers who have a warehouse near me, but they didn't tell me that the rep they gave it to only goes back to the warehouse once a week! They also told him that it wasn't urgent! :o

Today being Friday, I was getting worried that I hadn't had word that my paint was ready to be picked up at the supplier's warehouse so I got the reps number off the paintshop and gave him a call. Turns out I wasn't going to get my paint until next week. :(

The rep was at Campelltown and very kindly offered to meet me halfway (thinking I was at home in Baulkham Hills). Unfortunately I was stuck at work at Homebush - so the bloody champion delivered it to my door, after knock off time, on a Friday! He also lived at Wollongong so had to then turn around and go back again to get home!

What a restoration of my faith in humanity - it seems there are still a few decent people out there. :)

So - Gus is now ready to go in the paint department!

Shonky
13th July 2009, 09:41 AM
Got to splash some paint around this weekend!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3330.jpg

The firewall is now in colour, although I am thinking I might put another coat on – just for good measure. ;) I also have the wing in first coat and have put it together so I can do additional coats with it in one piece.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3346.jpg

I managed to not overdo it and cause runs (I have a tendency to be impatient and overpaint :p) until the last two passes, down the door pillars. I thinned the colour out nice and wet for a nice gloss and got a small run on each side. :( Oh well… I will just rub it back and either go over it again or just buff it out. :)

I did a big shop the other day – got a whole heap of bits in one big painful hit. I now have most of the little bits I need to finish Gus off, but have a few other bits on order.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3319.jpg

The finishing touch? I swapped Gus’ plates over. The new firewall is officially 143800259 - Gus! :D

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3340.jpg

Shonky
20th July 2009, 10:01 AM
I took Friday off work last week so the missus and I could head up to the farm. It was supposed to be a big family gathering weekend, but it didn’t end all that well. Why is it that relatives think that because you have a farm, they are entitled to do as they please? I wouldn’t set up a tent and a fire right in front of their garage, or use their chainsaw to cut down a heap of good timber to take home – and leave the saw blunt and the farm without wood, or walk mud through their house, or tell them where they can and can’t sit in their own lounge room.

They worked hard though… apparently. It seems that straining the top two wires of a 100m fence and then wandering off leaving the tie-wiring to someone else is a hard days work for 7 people, and entitles them to have the run of the place. We should be so grateful! Whilst our now unwelcome ‘guests’ had a mid afternoon nap, then a round of drinks by the fire, then dinner, Adriana and my sister helped me finish the fencing – well into nightfall and the onset of a bitterly cold tablelands eve.

:mad:

It wasn’t all doom and gloom however. :)

A friendly reprieve came just in the nick of time on Sunday morning, in the form of Bill (Black Bill) and Diana (Lotz-A-Landies) with the car trailer behind the Rangie.

It was time for Gus to leave his piggery rest, and return to suburbia once more!

I had spent a fair bit of time getting the Holden engine ready to come out, and had got all but one awkwardly placed nut in the adaptor plate. :( After trying all sorts of methods for two days, Diana had a go and got a good angle with a socket and the whole stud came out. Good to go!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSC00038.jpg

Bill wanted to play tractors so I let him do the honours. The old Major was pressed into service and the engine was dragged out!
Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of play in the primary pinion and a bit of clunking happening in there. I don’t have time to rebuild the box so I might just source a good box from somewhere. Anyone got one they want to part with?

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSC00041-1.jpg

A good bit of push and shove got the chassis moving and despite two flat tyres making life hard, we got Gus up on the trailer by hand (no winch).

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSC00044.jpg

Ambrose was loaded up with parts and followed the Rangie powered Gus down to the house.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSC00050.jpg

I brought the pressure gurney with me, and attacked the muddy, greasy lump. Unfortunately the little washer wasn’t up to the job and so a lot of muck will have to be scraped off later. Whilst I was playing Sadie, Bill and Diana set to work undoing some of the wrongs of my useless relatives. By the time we left, mum had a good stack of neatly cut firewood and a freshly sharpened chainsaw. :) Bill and Diana got more done in one hour than the ferals did in 4 days. :eek:

We left the farm a little later than anticipated, and unfortunately a motorcyclist had been killed on Bells Line of Road meaning it was closed. The Great Western Highway was absolutely bumper to bumper – the worst I have ever seen it.

Stop start traffic up a hill like Mt Victoria, in a bloodbox, certainly gives your braking and clutching legs a workout! :o

Nearly 6 hours later (after driving up the M7 with no eTag to save time) Adriana and I arrived home. Hats off to Adriana – anyone who has spent any length of time in the narrow passenger seat of a bloodbox will know that they are NOT comfortable!

Bill and Diana had made a detour to visit a fellow REMLR-ite, and arrived at my house a short while later.

After some tricky reversing up my awkward driveway, we had the back of the trailer poked in the garage and with Bill acting as ‘Gus brakes with a rope tied off capstan style, Diana and I pushed, pulled and bounced the beastie off the trailer and into position. The was not enough room to get completely off the trailer, so the engine crane was pressed into service to lift the front end clear of the trailer so it could be driven out from underneath.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSC00051.jpg

Gus is now home safe and once I have the firewall finished, I can get cracking on the chassis. A new cross member is ready to go on, and some repairs will be needed on a crumpled dumb-iron.

Just over a month until All British Day! :o

Sleepy
20th July 2009, 10:34 AM
Good Luck Andrew.
You have just proved the old saying:

"You can pick your friends, but ........"

Shonky
21st July 2009, 08:51 AM
Last night I hooked in and got the old firewall stripped right down. I have one or two little things to still pull off but they are mostly things like the sediment bowl for the long gone 2L motor and the bleeder for the brake line.

By this arvo I plan to have it completely stripped bare and then I can shove it down beside the house and out of my way.

Tonight’s challenge is to clean and prep all the firewall ancilliaries for paint.

Tomorrow is primer night, Thursday is colour night, Friday is putting it all back together night.

I still need a new ignition/headlamp switch, but once I get one of those the firewall will be complete and ready to go on the truck. The old switch seemed to have let the smoke out (read: caught fire) and may well have been the culprit for the vehicle being left in a paddock by the previous owner. When pressing him as to what was wrong with it, he could only tell me that it “just stopped”. I have never been able to get it to power up, so maybe this was why. ;)

This weekend I can start on my chassis!

I have decided that I am going to strip it bare first, repair the small amount of rust and damage, then paint it, and then rebuild it from the front back.

:)

Lotz-A-Landies
23rd July 2009, 11:00 PM
Andrew the ignition switch and knob should be available from Holden's in the UK Vintage and Classic Lucas Car Spare Parts and Accessories from the UK (http://www.holden.co.uk/)

The switch is Electrical Ignition Switches Code=31270 (http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=1&pgCode=020&sgName=Electrical&pgName=Switches&agCode=0523&agName=Ignition+Switches&pCode=31270)
The S1 knob is Electrical Ignition+Switch Code=316285 (http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=1&pgCode=020&sgName=Electrical&pgName=Switches&agCode=0523&agName=Ignition+Switches&pCode=316285)
The key is Electrical Ignition+Switches Code=54316731 (http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=1&pgCode=020&sgName=Electrical&pgName=Switches&agCode=0523&agName=Ignition+Switches&pCode=54316731)

Although the original knob should be code 316287 with a lever.

There is however on ebay SERIES LAND ROVER ignition light switch LUCAS PRS3 - (end time 24-Jul-09 21:00:00 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SERIES-LAND-ROVER-ignition-light-switch-LUCAS-PRS3_W0QQitemZ320398277626QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Ca r_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4a9939bbfa&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50)

Diana

Shonky
24th July 2009, 07:11 AM
Thanks Diana. :)

Brian at LVS reckons he can sell me one, but hasn't said for how much.

Update:

Wednesday was unseasonably warm thanks to a gusty north westerly. This was nice during the day, but it then rained in the afternoon. warm + wet = no painting. :(

I got everything in primer last night, and hopefully can knock everything into colour tonight. Firewall can go back together this weekend I hope...

Diana also did some detective work in the Grenville motors books, and we came up with a win!

Gus' original engine was 141801660, and he was sold in standard form (sans hardtop) to H. Sinclair and Co on the 4th of December 1958. :D

Who knows what or who H. Sinclair and Co is... It was likely sold either from Sydney or Cooma, so it could be any person or entity in either region and beyond. :eek:

Shonky
27th July 2009, 01:06 PM
Saturday was a rather productive day, but I had to shut up shop early to head out to a mates buck's night. Incidentally, this was also responsible for Sunday bing a complete write off! :angel:

I got an early-ish start on Saturday morn and hooked into the chassis. I have removed the front propshaft (the bolts at the diff end were only finger tight! :o) and removed the front axle assembly complete with springs and shocks. I have parabolic springs to put on, and it will also make it easier to get in and around under there to clean and paint. The old spring bolts were firmly corroded in place, so I had to cut them out with a hacksaw.

The front half of the chassis is almost ready for paint, although the front right dumbiron is worse than I thought and will need some attention.

I have most of the firewall ancilliaries painted and some of them installed.

Tonight I am going to get the rest of the firewall together, except for the pedal boxes and horn which will be painted tonight. I should have the front of the chassis completely cleaned and ready for paint too... fingers crossed. ;)

I put in a leave application for mid-August today, and managed to convince the hierachy that I deserve a break. The week ending August the 14th is mine - ALL MINE! Muahahaha! :twisted:

Shonky
6th August 2009, 02:17 PM
A quick update:

I went up to the farm last weekend, and retrieved all the remaining bits of Gus that were littering the property... :angel: Mum is pleased! :D

Mrs Shonky had the day off so I had some company, and much needed help. :)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSC00068.jpg

Somehow the madame and I managed to wrestle the various bits onto the tray. Adriana is only 5”1’ and 48kilos, but she surprised even me with her efforts! A tub is not an easy thing to lift to shoulder height when you are that size! :o

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSC00071.jpg

I had been toying with how I was going to bring the tub and the roof back, and in the end decided to sit the tub on some old tyres and lash it down securely, then bolt the hardtop on top of that!

This worked incredibly well, and as an added bonus, served as a convenient spot for the woof to sit for the return journey. ;) He had been left behind when mum came to Sydney on Friday… Silly boy. :p

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSC00072.jpg

On Monday and Tuesday aftenoons, I hooked in and cut all the rusty material out of my bull bar. I have tack welded in some new 3mm sheet and should have it finished off by tonight.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSC00083.jpg

Progress this week was hampered by a bodgy gas reg making MIG welding very hard, and most importantly – the passing of my dear “Papa” at 82 years young. :(

XSiV
6th August 2009, 02:57 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss Shonky.

d@rk51d3
6th August 2009, 05:49 PM
Sorry to hear it. It definitely leaves a bit of a hole for a while.:(

Sleepy
6th August 2009, 09:50 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss mate.:(

Sounds like you've got one helluva lady their mate.;)

Shonky
11th August 2009, 08:46 PM
Quick, rule breaking (no pics) update:

Chassis is done!

Yesterday I cut the damaged and rusted material out of the right dumbiron and rebuilt it, welded a new pan into the battery tray and finished off my bullbar. I painted up the repaired chassis sections and most of the bullbar before it started to rain.

Today, after much consternation, I decided to simply lop my way through the chassis rails to remove my rear crossmember. This worked out okay, as I didn't lose much good steel that way anyway.

Mark came around just in time to help me drag the tub around to make sure everything was in alignment on the new member. The tub went on a few times just to double check, and then it was welded in place over a matter of hours. I was taking it VERY slow - didn't want to banana my chassis!

Back half of the chassis has been wire wheeled and readied for paint, coming tomorrow.

Next challenge: Mainshaft bearings for gearbox (deep in unknown territory here! :o) and 2.25 bellhousing (remember, Gus was once a 2L!) Once thats sorted, engine in, parabolics on, wiring redone (help!) and then I can put the body back together!

I have pics, but no time to stuff around borrowing a (non-Macintosh) computer uploading them. Work to be done!

MickS
13th August 2009, 09:13 AM
Great stuff mate. Love that piccy of the dog in the back :)

Shonky
14th August 2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks Mick - looking forward to seeing Basil at All British Day! ;)

Chassis is now painted - looks good. :D

Front parabolics are half on... freakin' supplier sent the wrong size bolts so they won't thread into the shackles. :( Hopefully I will pick the right ones up today.

Gearbox should be good by this afternoon. Doing a run up to Hilton's to grab an appropriate belhousing from a LWB early series II, as the 2.25 one I have wouldn't mate up to the early box (due to the smaller layshaft bearing)

Once gearbox is done, engine goes in, firewall on etc etc.

Today is the pinnacle. If all goes to plan today, it's all downhill from here. All the major work is done (except rewire) and things can go back together. :D

dullbird
14th August 2009, 08:04 PM
none of this rebuild is happening without pics Andrew you know the rules

isuzutoo-eh
16th August 2009, 04:50 PM
Two days after your 'pinnacle' day and still no news. What's the latest?
Engine in and running? Wiring under way? Body panels on? Registered already?
I've managed to do a little on Mary, can't let Gus get all the attention...

-Mark
P.S. You may not be receiving SMS's. Or else you're too busy to reply :p

Shonky
18th August 2009, 08:09 AM
Ahoy - got your message the other day but I was already at Hiltons and my reply didn't send (coverage is patchy up there).

Update (WITH PICS) to follow! :D

Shonky
18th August 2009, 10:39 AM
Pics to start - I'll add text throughout the day.

A week in pictures: (ps - I did a lot of things that weren't pic worthy like changing suspension bushes, propshaft boots etc etc.

Front of chassis cleaned up and primed.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3368.jpg

I'm using cheap, sticky, gloss black enamel. :D
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3370.jpg

Rusty front right dumbiron:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3382.jpg

The top of the dumbiron was crushed:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3391.jpg

New top tacked in:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3397.jpg

All tacked together with crush tubes welded in:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3403.jpg

Welded up with chassis extensions reattached (for bullbar)
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3409.jpg

Battery tray:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3411.jpg

Blacked up:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3419.jpg

I decided in the end to just hack through the rails. The replacement was sleeved and the metal to the back of the member was rotten anyway.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3455.jpg

Completely off!
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3458.jpg

Test fit tub to check the position of the new one (thanks Mark McMuscles :p)
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3462.jpg

Crossmember tacked in:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3471.jpg

Pulling the gearbox out to take up to Hiltons. It's very hard to remove layshaft bearing without a 5/16 BSF socket... At Hiltons we swapped the bellhousing, replaced bearing, adjusted primary pinion nut, and put later type mounts on (I was going to just leave the Series I type in place, but since I had the bits and the box was out it was worth the extra effort.)
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3499.jpg

Using an old cut down Primary Pinion to align the clutch - Thanks for the tip (and the old p/pinion) Dinty!
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3502.jpg

Mrs Shonky on crane duty, putting the motor in. It wouldn't go in initially as the motor was on a bad angle and the P/P kept knocking the clutch plate just out of alignment. Added to shopping list: load leveler for hoist! ;) NB - front parabolics in. :)
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3506.jpg

MOTOR IS IN! (next day) :D
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3509.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3511.jpg

Hoisting the firewall into place:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3519.jpg

Firewall in:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3522.jpg

Front shot:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3528.jpg

and again. This is pretty much as it is now.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3533.jpg

Tonight - reinstall brake pipes, replace hoses and wheel cylinders and shoes and connect up the clutch hoses. Tomorrow - spray rad support panel and get the cooling system happy with new radiator. Thurs - get everything ready for wire up!

Phoenix
18th August 2009, 11:39 AM
Very Slick, it looks Great!!

JDNSW
18th August 2009, 02:02 PM
Looking Nice.

John

lane
18th August 2009, 02:58 PM
Great work, Shonks. And thanks for all the pics. Keeps me inspired to plug away on ours... :)

series3
18th August 2009, 04:01 PM
Hey Shonky I just had another look at where you started, bloody hell you have done a good job bringing it so far!

Here's hoping I can have a perv on the 27th next month!

Lotz-A-Landies
18th August 2009, 04:09 PM
Looking good Shonky.

The new welding is progressing well, but I must say, whomever parked it in there like that did a pretty good job if I do say so myself! :D :D ;)

Diana

Sleepy
18th August 2009, 04:40 PM
Nice Mate - enjoying the progress.:D

Rangier Rover
19th August 2009, 07:25 AM
Very nice! I can see you've put a lot of work into it and a lot more to do yet. Looks like ford blue on the 2.25:D Did my 2.25 S111 the same.

Cheers Tony

Shonky
19th August 2009, 07:41 AM
Great work, Shonks. And thanks for all the pics. Keeps me inspired to plug away on ours... :)

...and vice versa. :)

Hey Shonky I just had another look at where you started, bloody hell you have done a good job bringing it so far!

Here's hoping I can have a perv on the 27th next month!

Thanks mate! It's been a hard slog, and a steep learning curve. I read back to my initial posts and I can't believe how little I knew when I started out! Still have lots to learn, but the more I do the more I understand! ;)

Looking good Shonky.

The new welding is progressing well, but I must say, whomever parked it in there like that did a pretty good job if I do say so myself! :D :D ;)

Diana

:angel: Yes, you did a great job squashing it in there - although surely it was my directing that did it. :p

Shonky
19th August 2009, 08:18 AM
Nice Mate - enjoying the progress.:D

Thanks dude - better get cracking on Ol' Ute...! ;)

Very nice! I can see you've put a lot of work into it and a lot more to do yet. Looks like ford blue on the 2.25:D Did my 2.25 S111 the same.

Cheers Tony

Yep! It was in the specials bin at SuperCrap... :angel:

Shonky
19th August 2009, 10:17 AM
I have 9 days to get it on the road Coops! :o

Shonky
19th August 2009, 10:52 AM
Last night I finished putting in the pedal boxes, and furnished them with new master cylinders. I reused the old brake lines as they were in good nick and were only replaced in 2000. New wheel cylinders on 3 wheels, 4th to go on tonight.

Tried to replace shoes but the retaining bolts would not thread into the newies and the nuts supplied with them were completely wrong as well! (Bearmach...) I ended up leaving the old ones on but they are quite good anyway. I would surmise that the are the entire braking system was overhauled in the not too distant past. I distinctly remember rolling it off the trailer after collecting it from Singleton and finding that the brakes worked VERY well indeed. (I almost rolled backwards into the side of the house... :angel:)

I twisted the clutch reservoir supply hose so I will have to replace that. :(

Brian from LVS has found some Parabolic compatible shockies for me so I will put my rear Paras on tonight. (I hope the bushes don't give me trouble... :( )

Need to get my radiator support panel ready to go in too, and put in the headlights so Bill and I can attack the rewire sometime soon.

Shonky
26th August 2009, 08:13 AM
still alive working hard havent a moment to chat gus is almost ready for rego his body is all on sans front guards bill is giving me a hand with the wiring today and mark and i will sort the brakes and then it will almost be ready for rego on thursday after i get my shockies in the mail and put them on and i still dont have a roof ready so i hope it doesnt rain also my alternator wont fit and i dont have time to make a bracket so i'll just have to use a genesaurus as a jockey pulley and not drive at night until I get the alternator fitted up and im seriously broke because I have poured a **** load of money into gus and because im an idiot and recently have less sleep than money i decided in my infinite wisdom to buy another landy but i will leave you hanging on that one because i havent got time to introduce it properly yes im a bastard anyway i had better go and make myself another c-c-coffee and get off here because I sound like a member of a toyota forum. :eek:

bobslandies
26th August 2009, 08:38 AM
Great work Andrew and your helpers!
I see you are so busy you haven't updated Gus in your signature;)

Bob

foz.in.oz
26th August 2009, 08:41 AM
Shonky,

If you are trying to fit a Lucas 16ACR onwards alternator you may need to use the bracket shown in the attached file. I just did this to my 2a and it fits like a glove. Got one from LRSeries in the uk. Not cheap but made for the job.

Ray

Sleepy
26th August 2009, 10:23 AM
still alive working hard havent a moment to chat gus is almost ready for rego his body is all on sans front guards bill is giving me a hand with the wiring today and mark and i will sort the brakes and then it will almost be ready for rego on thursday after i get my shockies in the mail and put them on and i still dont have a roof ready so i hope it doesnt rain also my alternator wont fit and i dont have time to make a bracket so i'll just have to use a genesaurus as a jockey pulley and not drive at night until I get the alternator fitted up and im seriously broke because I have poured a **** load of money into gus and because im an idiot and recently have less sleep than money i decided in my infinite wisdom to buy another landy but i will leave you hanging on that one because i havent got time to introduce it properly yes im a bastard anyway i had better go and make myself another c-c-coffee and get off here because I sound like a member of a toyota forum. :eek:

BWahahahahahaha.:Rolling::Rolling::Rolling:

You are worse than me.....it is infinite something....maybe not wisdom. :lol2:

Can't wait for the new vehicle .....let me guess, Isuzu County, LRPV, 101GS, Series 1 80", Hmmmmm???

Good to see you cutting back in order to save money.

Punctuation
Pictures
.....?

Good Luck mate ......I have the Landroverholics hotline if you need it. (1800 OIL LEAK)

Sleepy
26th August 2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks Coouper:p

isuzutoo-eh
26th August 2009, 07:31 PM
I know what he bought!

Its a...Its a....

Party Bus!

I kid you not...

Who wants to guess just what it is?

dullbird
26th August 2009, 07:43 PM
i know what it is ;)

Dinty
26th August 2009, 07:59 PM
S2A 109 wksp!!!!!? LOL:p cheers Dennis
ps 'Gus' is looking really smick for a 1st timer/novice keep at it Andrew:cool:

lane
27th August 2009, 12:02 AM
Was this the first sign of the infection? http://www.aulro.com/afvb/remlr-discoveries/84659-another-workshop-recovered.html#post1031732

Shonky
27th August 2009, 11:15 AM
I HAVE FAILED. :(

The All British Day is this weekend, and Gus is not going to be there. :(

Just over 4 weeks ago, a rusty, dirty chassis arrived in my garage. I took up the challenge to have it ready for August 30 and I almost did...

I got the gearbox fixed, the engine in, the brakes done (almost), the steering done, the body on, the chassis repaired and the magnitude of other bits and bobs which take up the most time - only to be stymied by electrickery. :(

I had the resident REMLR/AAVA eleccy-tech extraodinaire "Black Bill" out to give me a hand yesterday, and he gave the verdict that there was more days work than there was days until ABD. I have some wrong bits, and I will need to get some right ones before Bill and I can get it up and ready for rego.

So close - yet not quite close enough.

I'm exhausted. I have chewed through most of my annual leave, and have been working from sun up to sun down almost every day since July's end. My hands are scarred, my back is sore and I have oil in places I didn't even know I had... :eek:

To anyone who decides they want to set a rediculous deadline for a project - don't. You'll kill yourself.

This is where I got to: (I am doing paint once it is on the road.)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3600.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk188/670719/DSCF3597.jpg

Happier news: I will still have Gus on the road fairly soon, although now I will be able to work at a more sensible pace.

New vehicle will be revealed with pics, later today. ;)

Shonky
27th August 2009, 03:47 PM
Great work Andrew and your helpers!
I see you are so busy you haven't updated Gus in your signature;)

Bob

Thanks Bob. Yes - it's been a hard slog. I have indeed been too busy to update my sig. Or post. Or eat. Or sleep...

Shonky,

If you are trying to fit a Lucas 16ACR onwards alternator you may need to use the bracket shown in the attached file. I just did this to my 2a and it fits like a glove. Got one from LRSeries in the uk. Not cheap but made for the job.

Ray

Thanks Ray.

I am fitting a Bosch alternator with internal reg, but I am told that the Lucas bracket will take my alternator so that makes life easy. Fortunately, I have a source of the brackets 40 mins from home!

BWahahahahahaha.:Rolling::Rolling::Rolling:

You are worse than me.....it is infinite something....maybe not wisdom. :lol2:

Can't wait for the new vehicle .....let me guess, Isuzu County, LRPV, 101GS, Series 1 80", Hmmmmm???

Good to see you cutting back in order to save money.

Punctuation
Pictures
.....?

Good Luck mate ......I have the Landroverholics hotline if you need it. (1800 OIL LEAK)

Thanks mate! :D I have been thinking of late that I need to do an early Series I sooner rather than later... They are starting to get quite expensive to do so now is the time! :o

However, I ended up getting a...

S2A 109 wksp!!!!!? LOL:p cheers Dennis
ps 'Gus' is looking really smick for a 1st timer/novice keep at it Andrew:cool:

Yep - one of them. ;) Thanks for the encouragement Detective Dennis. I think the hardest thing with keeping this pace is that I am indeed still a novice. I am in unknown territory and having to learn on the fly! It'll come good I think. :)

Was this the first sign of the infection? http://www.aulro.com/afvb/remlr-discoveries/84659-another-workshop-recovered.html#post1031732

You're on the money, and ahead of me, Lane!

I hadn't realised that I had bought that one until you linked the other thread! My brain is so all over the place at the moment that if it isn't Gus it goes in one ear and out the other!

You are all correct, I have indeed bought a '63 2A Automotive Repair Workshop. ;)

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/remlr-projects/86766-party-bus-108-616-shonkys-1963-series-iia-workshop.html

Geoffro68
27th August 2009, 05:35 PM
If gus is safe to drive you could get a unregistered vehicle permit from the rta.

Geoff

Shonky
27th August 2009, 06:04 PM
You are correct Geoff, however Gus' lack of brakes rules that out! ;)

Welcome to AULRO by the way. :) You should head over to the introductions section and say g'day. :D

Sleepy
27th August 2009, 09:04 PM
Bad luck Andrew. Oh well at least you can take Ambrose to the ABD - and some pics of GUS.

A 63 WS - very nice! By the time you're my age you will have 100 Land Rovers.
You better open a Land Rover Library. - so I can borrow one !