PDA

View Full Version : Trailer hubs to match Range Rover

rrturboD
16th April 2008, 09:31 PM
Just got myself a camping trailer, currently with Toyota hubs and wheels. I want to put RR wheels on it, so need RR hubs etc. Want electric brakes too! AND same 16mm wheel studs, so any RR wheel and nut can be fitted.

I called a couple of trailer people earlier today, they can offer RR stud pattern, brakes etc BUT 5/8" threaded studs, so standard wheel nuts will not fit etc etc.

I am hoping someone can assist with pointing me to a supplier who can supply matching studs, hubs, etc.

I have got RR rear hubs with discs, but do not think you can electrify disk brakes.

Help please.

Fusion
16th April 2008, 09:40 PM
couple of trailer hubs on ebay to suit rr or disco ... dunno if that helps at all :)

Utemad
16th April 2008, 09:44 PM
It would appear from here (and my own calls) that no one will do metric studs.

If you run steel wheels then it doesn't matter though. Nuts will be different but wheels can still be swapped from car to trailer and vice versa.

rrturboD
16th April 2008, 10:16 PM
I was planning on running steel wheels for now, but if enough mags turn up I could run them on the trailer and the truck... so just planning for the future!

Pedro_The_Swift
16th April 2008, 10:21 PM
hmm, arent late cruisers 14mm metric?
the D2 threads here
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/common-threads/40509-d2-trailer-hubs.html
might help,,

Lotz-A-Landies
16th April 2008, 10:38 PM
Unfortunately AlKo only fit AF studs to their hubs (9/16" I think). As you say they do have combined brake drum/hubs for the Range Rover classic/Land Rover PCD but not with the correct studs.

The M16 studs on Series 3, Defenders, Countys and Range Rover classics all take the same nuts. Why don't you see if you can get replacements of those and machine out the ALKo hub to accept them. M16 is larger than 9/16 so there should not be a problem.

If unable to find replacement parts - sacrifice the spare Rangie hubs and press the studs out of them.

Diana

Scouse
17th April 2008, 12:38 AM
I have a stack of D2 hubs. I'll have to see if the 14mm studs press out easily.

Diego Luego
17th April 2008, 05:45 AM
Ask foz.in.oz he seems to have done it.

Redback
17th April 2008, 06:12 AM
There is a mob here in Sydney that will supply D2 14mm, D1 16mm metric studs, but the name escapes me, Discowhite knows the company as he did his trailer with them, as for the hubs, D1 RR, Defender hubs are off the shelf items from AL-CO, D2 hubs are a whole different story:twisted:

If you want i'll give Phil a call today and ask, just let me know.

Have a look at this thread, scroll down to Chucaros post to see the links he posted
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/trailers-vans-campers/50551-trailer-parts.html

Baz

Lotz-A-Landies
17th April 2008, 02:58 PM
Michael

You suggested that the camper has Toyota hubs and wheels.

Are they Land Cruiser PCD/bearings and are they braked hubs?

If they are AlKo brakes, you just have to order the AlKo drums with Land Cruiser parrallel bearings and Land Rover PCD which are an optional part.

Otherwise you order the brake kits with parrallel bearings and Land Rover PCD, they probably won't have them in stock but it should only take a couple of days to get from the AlKo warehouse. Once you have the brake kits you weld a mounting flange onto your unbraked axle and the new drum/hubs use the same bearings.

If they are regular Toyota car wheels you need to find out what bearings are on it, most trailers have 1 of 4 standards of bearing, Holden (1000Kg/axle) Ford Falcon otherwise called "slimline" (1450Kg/axle) Land Cruiser otherwise called "Parrallel" (2000+Kg/axle) and some older trailers had Ford F100 hubs.

You can get Alko Brake kits with Land Rover PCD (not D2/p38a PCD) in all the first 3 bearing types.

Diana

Addit: spend the extra money and get the off-road brake kits, the magnets are better retained and will last longer on trips with lots of corrugated roads.

PhilipA
17th April 2008, 03:13 PM
Be careful.
If you order LR PCD and they drill them, for their own 9/16 studs, the holes are too big for LR studs.
Look , there is a long discussion on this in the trailer section.
I have done it, and what you have to do (assuming parallel hubs) is to order blank hubs , have them drilled by an engineering shop to LR PCD, to match the spline size of a LR 16MM stud. You have to have the hole counterbored to get the stud to standard LR emergent length.

This is only necessary if you want metric studs to fit RRC mags.
Otherwise if you are happy with AF, then ALKO can supply, although they managed to stuff the first set up for me.( 1/2 LR and 1/2 LC)
Regards Philip A

mcrover
17th April 2008, 04:52 PM
Be careful.
If you order LR PCD and they drill them, for their own 9/16 studs, the holes are too big for LR studs.
Look , there is a long discussion on this in the trailer section.
I have done it, and what you have to do (assuming parallel hubs) is to order blank hubs , have them drilled by an engineering shop to LR PCD, to match the spline size of a LR 16MM stud. You have to have the hole counterbored to get the stud to standard LR emergent length.

This is only necessary if you want metric studs to fit RRC mags.
Otherwise if you are happy with AF, then ALKO can supply, although they managed to stuff the first set up for me.( 1/2 LR and 1/2 LC)
Regards Philip A

About 3 weeks ago I purchased from Marshall engineering 1 LR PCD hubs for a tractor trailer and it came with standard 9/16 UNF studs.

Down to R&E Auto and ordered standard M16 LR studs and nuts and 2 days later drilled the hubs in the drill press to 16mm and pressed the studs in.

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

In electric brake hubs I dont know if there would be extra machining to do but I'd assume it wouldnt be brain surgery.

9/16 stud spline was about 15mm or bloody close to it
M16 stud spline is close to 16.5mm

Plenty of meat to play with.

discowhite
17th April 2008, 05:24 PM
About 3 weeks ago I purchased from Marshall engineering 1 LR PCD hubs for a tractor trailer and it came with standard 9/16 UNF studs.

Down to R&E Auto and ordered standard M16 LR studs and nuts and 2 days later drilled the hubs in the drill press to 16mm and pressed the studs in.

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

In electric brake hubs I dont know if there would be extra machining to do but I'd assume it wouldnt be brain surgery.

what he said,
punch out 9/16 studs re drill to suit the m16 studs, dont need a press you can rattle gun the studs in.
have a look at my 130 trailer build its all explained there, including pic's of what you need to do for fitting LR alloys.
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/trailers-vans-campers/32210-130hcpu-camper-trailer-build-3.html
cheers phil

100I
17th April 2008, 06:03 PM
Can a mod move this to the camper trailer section pleeeease.

I'll want to refer back to this stuff down the track and won't know where to find it.:D

PhilipA
17th April 2008, 07:16 PM
5/8" UNF special - short knurl R/Rover 10" Electric

5/8" UNF51mm 17.5mm

OK Its the 5/8 which is the equivalent of 16 MM studs that are the problem. The Knurled area is a bigger diameter than the Land rover studs.

If you order 9/16 they are too small for LR wheel holes, if you want to use the ALKO studs and UNF nuts.

Regards Philip A

Lotz-A-Landies
17th April 2008, 07:31 PM

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. ...
... 9/16 stud spline was about 15mm or bloody close to it
what he said,
punch out 9/16 studs re drill to suit the m16 studs, dont need a press you can rattle gun the studs in. ...
... cheers phil
Thanks Guys

I didn't think I was mistaken with the stud hole sizes.

Cheers :) :)
Diana

Utemad
17th April 2008, 08:28 PM

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

What were the 10 M16 studs and nuts worth?

rrturboD
17th April 2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the help so far.

The saga continues:
Looking at the gear on the trailer:
Toyota LC electric braked hubs on Ford bearings (slimline) from Vehicle Components in Brisbane.
They can supply LR hubs (5/8 studs) , but not on the smaller axle .. so a replacement axle is required. They were very helpful when I called them, but freight would be a killer.

I have been offered a pair of Simplicity hubs by a local mate (took them off a caravan and made it Toyota!) (again 5/8 studs) but again will need new axle.

Looks like I can use the backing plates and brakes.

The existing track on the trailer is narrower than my '88 RR so a new axle is probably a good idea anyway. The trailer can accommodate a wider track.

I'll investigate local supply of a 45mm axle with correct stubs etc.

Looks like I put up with the 5/8 studs until I visit a vendor who has Simplicity or AlKo, undrilled hubs, and can get 16mm studs installed.

Another suggestion was to use RR rear hubs, complete with discs, go for override brakes - hydraulic (use RR rear calipers) or cable (use caravan type mechanical calipers) and get a local machine shop to make up the axle. That way trailer and vehicle would have same bearings etc... going this way would also mean new coupling, but then the existing does mean I cant fold the back down when trailer attached.....

Makes the new axle sound attractive for now.

discowhite
18th April 2008, 09:39 PM
the hubs in my link are/were blank SLM hubs.
the studs i used were punched out of some old LR hubs i had lying around, but you can still buy them new from karcraft for $3-4 each.

i had a local machine shop mark the pcd on the hub and a bit of maths, a zeus book and a protractor, the hubs were ready to be drilled. nothing hard didnt even use a bench drill.

cheers phil

Lotz-A-Landies
19th April 2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the help so far.

I'll investigate local supply of a 45mm axle with correct stubs etc.

Looks like I put up with the 5/8 studs until I visit a vendor who has Simplicity or AlKo, undrilled hubs, and can get 16mm studs installed.

Michael

I bought a new axle from Camac (Caravan Accessories) when I tandem'ed my little trailer for the 80" - it was only about $100 with about another $20 for the 2 types of flanges to do the job.

Hardly worth the headache of designing and modifying things to make a hybrid axle that uses Range Rover hubs.

C Ya
Diana