PDA

View Full Version : Towing 3 Tonne with a D3

philh
17th April 2008, 08:58 PM
Hi Guys

I'm buying a new boat which weighs in at 3 tonne with fuel onboard. The boat dealer told me to buy a landcrusier diesel to tow the boat and laughed at me when I suggested the D3. What are your thoughts? I know the brochure says it will do 3.5 but will it get over 80km/hr doing so given the size of the engine. I haven't driven the D3 yet but have asked the local dealer if it would tow and they said easy. I asked for a demo with a tow bar to test and none available. I am loathed to shell out good money and find it won't do the job.

Blknight.aus
17th April 2008, 09:22 PM
dont see why it shouldnt if you get the tdv6 you get more cubes and a whole extra cylinder. Big red can pull a completeish rangie on a car trailer at a lot more than what anyone would give a 2.5l 5 pot turbo diesel credit for.

Jamo
17th April 2008, 09:39 PM
Easy!

Is the boat dealer an expert on Landrovers?? Or maybe he should stick to selling boats!

peterpam
18th April 2008, 03:01 PM
I tow a 3 tonne caravan with my D3 TDV6 and it will go up the steepest hills at 100km/hr no trouble if I want it to. I think the boat dealer needs to test drive one as well as you.

Disco3
18th April 2008, 03:54 PM
I comfortably tow a 2.5 tonne boat up and down Clyde Mountain in NSW without any drama's - compared to my boating buddy's 2006 landcruiser - he belives all his transmission gremlins are due to towing the boat.
I reckon there are too many yobbos out there who think "if it aint a landcruiser / nissan patrol, then its no good" ...:mad:

geoffo
18th April 2008, 06:42 PM
I tow a 25 foot van with 2 kayaks and bikes on the back and the d3 sits on
100kph at about 1800 revs. Up a fair hill it will sit on 100 and hit 2500 revs.
The gear box is impressive. If you want to spend $90k on a diesel landcruiser
I've got no doubt it will be impressive, my d3 cost me 67k. That's a lot of fishing tackle.

philh
18th April 2008, 08:06 PM
thanks for all the feedback. I'll be off to the landrover dealer on monday fro a test drive. I would much rather drive a disco than a toyota tank.

CaverD3
18th April 2008, 09:27 PM
D3 will tow 3.5 tonne easier than a Cruiser.
The only downside is you can forget you are towing it.:lol2:

PCH
21st April 2008, 11:46 AM
Another thing to think about is that the D3 with air suspension will self level. I'm sure the LC won't do that with steel springs and may need airbags in the back for the extra load.

Get a Disco and save money :)

Chris