PDA

View Full Version : general grabber tyres

VibeVillage
22nd April 2008, 09:32 PM
I have a D3 and need a new set of tyres. Being 18" rims the options for All Terrain appears to be limited. Land Rover have suggested the General Grabber AT2 tyre. Does anyone have any experience with these tyres? Will an All Terrain tyre affect the road handling and fuel consumption negatively?? I would appreciate any comment. Perhaps someone has some advice as to another brand. I currently have Goodyear Wrangles 255/60/R18 on the vehicle. Thanks. William

stevo68
22nd April 2008, 10:18 PM
Mate this thread should answer all your questions :)

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-zone/52140-d3-18-off-road-tyres.html

Regards

Stevo

VibeVillage
23rd April 2008, 06:45 AM
Thanks Stevo,
New to this site and have not yet found my way around. Really appreciate you sending me the thread. Have got the information I need now. Thanks again

Mate this thread should answer all your questions :)

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-zone/52140-d3-18-off-road-tyres.html

Regards

Stevo

Desert Traveller
23rd April 2008, 07:44 PM
The AT2's are the best ATs I've had in the last dozen years but not perfect. Not as good as HTs on the road (to be expected) and not as heavy as MTs offroad. The following applies to all low profile tyres.

After travelling over 3000 kms offroad and 2000 kms on the black stuff (heavily loaded) on a recent Desert trip I had the tyres examined by the manufacturer. Following are the comments from their technical experts.

Quote:
Our Tyre engineer has found the following;

What has occured is called, swelling of the tread. It occurs due to a signifcant difference in temperature between the tread and sidewall. caused by low pressure usage over an extended time. it is also evident near the bead area of the tyre.

Our engineer has advised this is not uncommon in H, V and W rated tyres where the tyre is manufactured to meet very high speed requirements. This reduces its offroad ability, as the offroad ability is compromised to meet the high speed rating.

It is also magnified by the fact this tyre is of low profile design, so the sidewall height is significantly less than a normal LT or offroad style tyre. When used at low pressure heat build up will occur faster than a taller sidewall tyre.

I am not having a go at any tyre manufacturer as this will apply on all. All this highlights that if you intend to use your D3 with 18" and 19" tyres in long distance low pressure touring (i.e. the desert) you will experience premature failures. I have now fitted a TPMS to monitor pressures and temperatures and thereby adjusting the pressures to suit or to slow down a bit at times.

I like the AT2's, but would recommend 17" for long distance low pressure driving.

pkenny
30th March 2009, 10:32 AM
I am running the 18 inch General Grabber AT2 on my Discovery 3 and they are great tyres, you don't notice and real increase in road noise and we have been through some pretty rough off-road use without any hitches.:)

300+
1st April 2009, 12:29 AM
I have a D3 and need a new set of tyres. Being 18" rims the options for All Terrain appears to be limited. Land Rover have suggested the General Grabber AT2 tyre. Does anyone have any experience with these tyres? Will an All Terrain tyre affect the road handling and fuel consumption negatively?? I would appreciate any comment. Perhaps someone has some advice as to another brand. I currently have Goodyear Wrangles 255/60/R18 on the vehicle. Thanks. William

Dunno where you live, but AT2s are about the only legal 18" AT tyres in QLD. All the others I looked at were too large.

The other option I think is Yoko, which are expensive and there isn't any history with them. Lots of people, myself included have AT2s and I think I made the right choice.

Cheers, Steve

WhiteD3
1st April 2009, 05:12 AM
The Continental ContiCrossContact AT is another choice and its legal.

ContiCrossContactAT (http://www.tyres4u.com.au/brandselector_doc-contiprodcrossconat_img-cp_show.aspx)

smwilk
1st April 2009, 08:50 AM
Why aren't the Yokohama Geolanders ATS legal? Only 10mm wider than OEM

Timj
1st April 2009, 11:01 AM
It isn't the width that is illegal it is the diameter. In Queensland we still have the maximum legal increase in diameter of 15mm. This means that with the standard ones being 763mm there is not much that comes under 778. The Yoko's at 265/60 may be legal I think but any of the 65 series are not strictly legal even if they don't rub. Other states have better rules as they have adopted the national code of practice.

The Grabbers are good tyres except for a vulnerable sidewall. In very rough conditions (Sundown National Park) I damaged two sidewalls on nearly new tyres so had a very expensive weekend. As soon as you lower the pressures the sidewall is very exposed.

There are quite a few threads if you search that have information.

Timj.

inside
1st April 2009, 08:50 PM
Other states have better rules as they have adopted the national code of practice.
Don't be too quick to say that, the draft NCOP currently under review wont allow any deviation in tyre/rim size for DSC equipped vehicles such as the D3.

smwilk
2nd April 2009, 02:17 PM
But they couldn't make such laws (if enacted) retrospective. Surely tyres fitted that were legal at the time of fitment would remain legal??

inside
2nd April 2009, 10:34 PM
But they couldn't make such laws (if enacted) retrospective. Surely tyres fitted that were legal at the time of fitment would remain legal??
You'd think so but NCOP is not even the rule in QLD. Maybe it will turn out that QLD is the only state that you can fit a bigger tyre on a DSC 4WD?

Timj
2nd April 2009, 11:16 PM
So as long as I push the button on the dash that turns DSC off I should be ok in NSW?

Some drafts and rules should never make it past the draft stage as they are just too dumb. Hopefully this will be one of them.

Tim.

inside
3rd April 2009, 05:52 PM
Well DSC off isn't really off. I'd say you would have to get the OK from LR that the DSC system would still function normally with certain rims and tyres.

rmp
3rd April 2009, 06:00 PM
DSC off is just reduced sensitivity.

There's no way LR will sanction anything other than standard-fit rims and tyres, of which there are multiple options. Don't even bother asking.

Using different sized ones just means the system may not respond exactly as designed. Unless you go to silly sizes it'll still be so close as makes no difference.

Leave DSC enabled, keep the tyres legally sized and don't worry about it.

DSC re-enables anyway on startup. I'd keep it on at all times unless in low-range territory.

300+
4th April 2009, 08:08 PM
You can buy a D3 in Iceland with 32" tyres. Bet that runs standard software.

Cheers, Steve

Leo
4th April 2009, 10:09 PM
You can buy a D3 in Iceland with 32" tyres. Bet that runs standard software.

Cheers, Steve

:BigThumb: True.

You'd think law makers had more important things to worry about. Are there no pro-motorist groups with influence? So much for democracy and freedom....:twisted: