PDA

View Full Version : Leaky 2003Defender90......Help?

p-a
24th April 2008, 02:27 PM
I have a 2003 defender 90 & its leaking where the roof meets the body through that ’seem’,

Its one of those things that I keep saying I’m going to fix it as soon as it rains but when it clears up I forget all about it,

Has any one else out there had a simular problem and fixed it them selves???? Or will I have to take it in to the work shop????

Cheers,

p-a.

I have a 2003 defender 90 & its leaking where the roof meets the body through that ’seem’,

Its one of those things that I keep saying I’m going to fix it as soon as it rains but when it clears up I forget all about it but im going to do some thing about it,

Has any one else out there had a simular problem and fixed it them selves???? Or will I have to take it in to the work shop????

Cheers,

p-a.

Scouse
24th April 2008, 03:27 PM
It all depends how much time & talent you have. It's all just bolted together so you can remove the roof & reseal the seams yourself if you're so inclined.

At least with a 90 you have 40" less seam to leak than a 110 ;).

discowhite
24th April 2008, 03:48 PM
are you sure its the seam??
i thought my leak was there also, but it wasnt...
on my 90 it was the gaskets behind the windscreen (fake) hinge brackets and the gutters.
the gutters are finished off with what looks like car bog. mine had cracked allowing the water to get in between the roof skin and run down the inside channel of the roof till it gets to just before the A pillar, walla! wet legs....

answer. i cleaned out the gutter, masked up a section of the roof all way round then sealed the lot with black sikaflex. no leaks at all for 10months now.

if you are certian its the roof seam, mask off either side of the seam (2-3mm wide gap) and sikaflex it.

cheers phil

OR.... take it to frank at caldwells smash repairs over here at condell park. hes the leaky LR guru.

OR..... you can bring it to my place and i can do it for ya.

rick130
24th April 2008, 04:54 PM
on my 130 it's the damn gasket between the windscreen and bulkhead ATM.
The water in the passenger side is ridiculous....

MinniTheMoocha
24th April 2008, 08:59 PM
on my 130 it's the damn gasket between the windscreen and bulkhead ATM.
The water in the passenger side is ridiculous....

My Defender does the same but on the drivers side. I have bought the sikaflex just haven't used it yet.

It seems to be coming from where the roof meets the top of the windscreen and runs down the pillar.

I have read somewhere to use white flexible gap filler on the gunk in the roof gutter and sikaflex for the joints.

p-a
27th April 2008, 10:31 AM
yeah ill see how the sickafex goes

cheers