PDA

View Full Version : R/R 1990 Electronic Dizzy

mike 90 RR
25th April 2008, 08:59 PM
Hi
I have been repairing my rangie for 2yr's
It started off as a bush basher when i got her, and since then i have just about restored it (new paint & everything)

I have pulled the Dizzy apart 12mth's ago & fixed it, but now it's come back to haunt me

Anyone know something about this subject, as i suspect that the top shaft has too much play in it, (air gap varies like crazy)

I fixed it up the last time by pulling the top shaft apart & replacing the "O ring" which made it firm again, but this time i think it's "time for a new Dizzy"

Should i fix the old one?
Buy one from rovercraft?
Buy aftermarket?

Your thoughts would be appreciated ;)

mike 90 RR
26th April 2008, 08:01 PM
Update on dizzy

Well i solved half of it
Bought a new Dizzy, but still can't get her to go past 4000 rpm without her popping through the intake. Have resolved to test the feed volts to the coil (10.6v) which came in 2 volts lower than the battery (12.6v)

Does anyone know the constant volt supply to the coil? is it 12 volts constant or does it get resisted to a lower spec. The idea is to bypass the ignition & give it a fresh feed. If it comes up trumps, then i know a Auto spark is required. ;)

mike 90 RR
28th April 2008, 10:02 AM
PROBLEM SOLVED
The voltage was too low.
I bridged to the coil feed to the battery and all is fine

Outcome: Employ auto spark to check & replace wire feeds

NOTE:
I have answered this post (it's not normal for me to talk to myself) so others with this problem can see what the outcome was, as i believe that it is a common one that causes a lot of heartache.

RaZz0R
28th April 2008, 12:51 PM
seriously - thank you for that - it will be something I'll have to watch for as well ;)

I was going to post earlier when I saw this suggesting the ECU maybe, nice to see it was that simple but a pain to track down for sure.

rovercare
28th April 2008, 01:12 PM
Mmmm, didn't read enough, you've already fixed it:)

mike 90 RR
15th May 2008, 01:35 PM
Hi to all 1990 (+or- year) rangie owners

Does your:
Alternator light glow?...Lights dull?...voltage drop issues?...Electrics ignition causes motor to "pop"?...Remote door locks not really working? ;)

Well: check the positive terminal post on the fire wall
you can't miss it, as the + lead to the starter motor is bolted to it & on the inside of car, above / left of the brake pedal, 4 brown wires are bolted to it.

The post will be rusted and the brown wires will be burnt :o
A good setup for a electrical fire :o

So:
Change that positive terminal post, & cut & extend those feed brown wires plus a new starter motor feed line.

I did and now this car has full spark. I can actually see the road at night!!!

signed,
On to the next repair :) :) :)

RaZz0R
16th May 2008, 10:54 AM
mm, Iam going to check over mine tomorrow then :)

hiker
11th June 2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks mike90

a very good post!

have got the tools out and will pull the carpets out this morning

cheers mate