PDA

View Full Version : RRC Chassis cracks

DRanged
27th April 2008, 08:34 PM
Just a quick one guys & girls. Had the car up on the hoist and noticed the body mount brackets located at the back doors on a 4 door were cracked badly where they are welded to the chassis. Mostly at the bottom of the mount but worth checking all over.

Justin

roverrescue
27th April 2008, 09:13 PM
had the same chassis/mount cracks on my 95 disco too... they opened up after a particularly corrugated western deserts trip... welded them up once which lasted a while... second time around, lifted the body up and welded in some gussets...

s

PhilipA
28th April 2008, 08:19 AM
Well if you have chassis cracks , you should look half way up your B pillars near the door locks. 4 doors crack there.
Also have a look at the base of the windscreen A pillars, just from the corner of the screen under the rubber outward.
My 2 door cracked there.
Regards Philip A

Dougal
1st May 2008, 01:57 PM
Well if you have chassis cracks , you should look half way up your B pillars near the door locks. 4 doors crack there.

I had the LH side B pillar crack there about 5 years back.
Only noticed because I'd been on the coast and the rust showed me.

DRanged
1st May 2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks guys will check the B pillars as well.

PhillipA did you have an old 2 door rangy with a detroit locker in the rear and Lucas fuel injection around early 2000 2001?????

Justin

PhilipA
1st May 2008, 07:38 PM
Yep that was me.
I sold it in December 1999 and bought my current 3.9.
I never learn .
Regards Philip A

DRanged
2nd May 2008, 08:09 PM
Yep that was me.
I sold it in December 1999 and bought my current 3.9.
I never learn .
Regards Philip A

Small world I remember a fellow in our old club in Sydney buying it. Ended up being cut up into a competition car.

Rangier Rover
2nd May 2008, 08:30 PM
Most RRCs that have cracked up here have been the result of hard use with a roof rack. We just dent em in, wield em up then file em down. Not had any come in with chassis mounts cracked yet but have seen them bend under bulk head:eek:.

PhilipA
3rd May 2008, 09:16 AM
Small world I remember a fellow in our old club in Sydney buying it. Ended up being cut up into a competition car.

Yes I was at Mt Airlee a short time after I sold it to the guy from the Blue Mountains club and he was there. He ripped the rear bar cap off going up the "v" that was in the track, and I felt sad. I had just bought the bar before selling it, to tidy it up.LOL

The car actually had a competition past I think. When I pulled off the trans cover carpet and insulation, there were a variety of holes there. Maybe it was an auto or maybe some other engine/transmission.
I remember doing some rust chasing and finding 3inches of dust/mud in the back body frame uprights behind the taillights.
I took it in the Nissan Trials in 1998 or 9. It is reasonably famous ( 5 seconds of fame???), as if you look at the famous clip of the Toyota tray top rolling sideways down the hill which was also on Funniest Home Videos, I was next car up down the bottom. I was getting pretty nervous but it stopped well short.
Regards Philip A

lokka
19th May 2008, 12:16 PM
Just a quick one guys & girls. Had the car up on the hoist and noticed the body mount brackets located at the back doors on a 4 door were cracked badly where they are welded to the chassis. Mostly at the bottom of the mount but worth checking all over.

Justin

I have the same cracks on the outside of the drivers side rail and from what ive worked out it starts from rust inside the chasis as this is the point were the chasis bends up to go over the rear diff il be repairing mine soon and il be cutting out a section along the ottom of the rail to remove some rust that has now formed a hole on the inside of the rail and im thinking that the rust has caused weakness in this area and has been the cause of the crack as the other rail has no probs at all and hasent got the rust like the other side has :D:D

GuyG
19th May 2008, 12:35 PM
My fathers old two door rusted through the chassis about where the trailing arm joins the chassis - this is about where the chassis bends up over the rear axle. This was most probably due to where the car was parked and water would have sat there and rusted through. It was taken to Fraser Island a lot - we ended up taking it to scrap metal