PDA

View Full Version : hard starting and white smoke

trentski
29th April 2008, 12:20 PM
Hi all,

I tried the search but it wasn't playing ball:mad:

The freeby (diesel) is hard to start after the recent cold nights and there is lots of white smoke. Sounds like Glow plugs to me, anyone else think the same?

The battery would be less than twelve months old and it starts fine when it is a bit warmer, just that first start in the morning.

How much to get these replaced?:(

Thanks
Trent

ivery819
29th April 2008, 01:09 PM
I don't know where you are located or just how cold it is there in the mornings.
All our diesels in the mountains do this at the beginning of the cold season when they still have 'summer' diesel in the tanks. In fact, as it gets colder, some of the older machinery won't start at all, not withstanding that the glow plugs etc are all working correctly. Even if you preheat everything with the oxy they will start and then die out as they get the colder (summer ) fuel.
They have the hide to charge nearly $2-00 per litre for this rubbish.

trentski
29th April 2008, 02:28 PM
I live in Melbourne and it isn't so cold that we get frosts. I have had the freebie for about 6 years now and this is the first time it has done it. It is a 2000 model with the L series engine.

Just spoke to MLR (Melbourne Land Rover) the guy I spoke to said it could be a number of things and glow plugs were down the list. Bad fuel, fuel pump, timing/cam belt out from when it was changed were higher on the list.

Looks like it is suck it and see.

Incidentally the earliest he could look at it was two weeks time, must be lots of landrovers that need fixing...

landy63
2nd May 2008, 12:54 PM
Hi not sure what you have so far but the following may be usefull . Just simple things first
*check glowplug relay
*check glow plugs , Aprox $20 to replace.
*check for air in fuel system
*how is fuel filter ?
* i have been advised that the only diesel fuel to use at the moment is caltex or bp , being that the L Series is a low compresion eng

The fuel pump (vp37) is an extreemly reliable pump .

101RRS
2nd May 2008, 07:17 PM
I live in Canberra where it is currently getting down to -2 at the moment. I have had my car for 4 years and it has always blown smoke on start up first things in the mornings but not when it starts 12 hours later in the evening after work to go home. I understand it is quite normal. Canberra automatically changes over to alpine fuel when it gets cold

As it gets colder, the longer the engine takes to fire in the morning. In summer no problems it starts first turn of the starter there is no need to worry about the glowplugs. The trick to start is to use the glow plug light - just above freesing I wait until the glow plug light goes out and it fires immediately. Below freezing it takes two goes on the glow plug light - about 20 secs and the engine fires immediately albiet with bit of smoke. If I do not wait for the glowplug light to go out before firing the engine will not fire.

I suspect you do not have an issue as the engine does start up - if in doubt check the glow plug - it is almost certainly not the timing belt.

Garry

trentski
16th May 2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks for your replies guys.

Looks like Murphy has been keeping an eye on me. Of the four glowplugs the only one working is the easiest one to replace :mad:

The glowplugs themeselves are only about $26 each but the labour to get to the two that you need to remove the fuel pump for is going to hurt :(

It has been a good vehicle but having to do the timing belts and then the glowplugs a couple of weeks after hurts.

Will tell the misses to go to Caltex of BP only. She knows enough to go to places that trucks use.

scarry
16th May 2008, 10:21 AM
and get her to take some disposable gloves& wipe her shoes before she gets back in the hot rod
find most bowsers where trucks go are always very dirty but i put up with it for good fuel
cheers

paul wish my signature would return maybe ill have to subscribe

landy63
18th May 2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks for your replies guys.

Looks like Murphy has been keeping an eye on me. Of the four glowplugs the only one working is the easiest one to replace :mad:

The glowplugs themeselves are only about $26 each but the labour to get to the two that you need to remove the fuel pump for is going to hurt :(

It has been a good vehicle but having to do the timing belts and then the glowplugs a couple of weeks after hurts.

Will tell the misses to go to Caltex of BP only. She knows enough to go to places that trucks use.

Hi mate , dont worry about the glowplug behind the fuel pump no body else in world dose:) , just replace the other 3 , no dramas there easy DIY , BMW in fact did not pursui the 4th plug behind the pump and just built there motors with 3 glowplugs for the reason that nobody ever renewed it , plenty on the net re this on other sites. little bit of fidling but you change all 3 without dismantling things .:eek: