PDA

View Full Version : V6 Petrol to be dropped ???

Laurie
3rd May 2008, 10:07 PM
Is the $62,000 special price on the SE a run-out price ?
I was talking to a salesman today and he believes that L/R are going to concentrate on the TDV6, due to the popularity of diesel in Europe and growing popularity of diesel in the USA. The 4.4 V8 will still be offered on the HSE.
Has anyone heard anything ???

jik22
3rd May 2008, 11:35 PM
Not heard a thing, but I'd have thought with diesel currently ~25c litre dearer than petrol they may want to think about that some more if it is true! ;)

WhiteD3
4th May 2008, 06:18 AM
They've been doing the SEV6 drive away deal for 18 months now and it is definitely their volume seller. For LR to drop it they'd have to come up with a much cheaper diesel alternative.

CaverD3
4th May 2008, 10:05 AM
I heard it may be the V8 they are dropping. At least in the FFRR and RRS replacing it with the TDV8.

Desert Traveller
4th May 2008, 09:32 PM
LRA need a cheaper entry priced D3, the V6 suits and it does sell. Can't see it being dropped unless the prices on the TVD6 and V8 (TDV8 will I believe eventually replace the V8 as in the FFRR and RRS) are reviewed.

scarry
4th May 2008, 10:05 PM
I heard a while ago lr were going to eventually drop all petrols something to do with emissions cheers:confused:

Psimpson7
15th May 2008, 09:34 AM
pretty sure in the UK now you cant get a non supercharged petrol V8 in a RR, D3 or RRS.

Dropped as far as I can remember for low sales.

ETA That the V6 petrol isnt even an option there!

Pete.

Laurie
15th May 2008, 09:46 PM
It looks like 2009 will be a very busy year for Land Rover. Three of the brand’s major models are getting engine, interior and exterior upgrades next year, and our spy shots reveal the look of one of the most important of them: this is the 2009 Range Rover Sport.

This development mule is in early testing ahead of an anticipated winter 2009 UK launch. It's running a new 5.0-litre V8 petrol engine with a seven-speed automatic gearbox, which will replace the current 4.2-litre V8 motor in the Range Rover and Range Sport, helping them to comply with forthcoming European emissions laws.

The new 5.0-litre motor will be available in both normally aspirated and supercharged form, the latter developing some 500bhp in the new Porsche Cayenne Turbo-chasing Range Rover Sport Supercharged.

The cars' new seven-speed automatic gearbox is being developed by ZF and will debut in the BMW 7-series before being introduced on the Range Rover.

There’ll also be a series of cabin upgrades to the Range Rover, Discovery and Range Sport, with the alterations to the last models in that list being the most substantial. Land Rover's current satellite navigation system will be replaced with a touch-screen unit, reducing the number of buttons necessary on the dashboard, while a new four-spoke steering wheel, similar to the one found on the Jaguar XK and XF, plus some Jaguar-derived switchgear, will also come in. This equipment sharing will help to cut costs on the production line. There’ll also be mild cosmetic changes to the front and rear bumpers of all three models, as well as the grilles.

Meanwhile, both the Discovery and the Range Rover Sport will benefit from new, premium-feel more upmarket interiors. Land Rover wants to bring the cabin quality of both models into line with the Range Rover, and in particular eliminate the Discovery’s utilitarian feel. Both are expected to get tweaked front and rear bumpers and better standard equipment levels. It’s also likely that we’ll see the Discovery’s current 2.7-litre V6 diesel grow to 3.0-litres.

Jamo
15th May 2008, 10:34 PM

Land Rover's current satellite navigation system will be replaced with a touch-screen unit,

It's already a touch screen unit and only has two 'hard' buttons!

The rest sound's pretty good if it's true.

Laurie
19th May 2008, 03:45 PM
Was talking to Bruce Davis today about LPG conversions, and he said that the V8's will be no longer imported.
I don't know which V6 to buy now the head say's petrol the heart says Diesel (15 yrs driving diesels), but with diesel now around 25c a litre dearer :(here in the ACT the V6 petrol must get a serious look.On trips I'll just have to get a rear jerry holder or LR tank. I did find a UK firm with D3 lpg !!! conversions looks very good, but none so far here in Oz. I'll post link in a new topic,

Desert Traveller
20th May 2008, 03:45 PM
Have a look at the resale values of V6 vs TDV6. The extra cost of the TDV6 can be recooped in the increased resale price. A number of mags have done this exercise recently. New, TDV6 is better buying.
Second hand a V6 is better buying.
I went TDV6 for safety in the desert as I don't like petrol refuelling from jerries in the middle of no-where.
Someone will disagree, but this my personal view.

WhiteD3
20th May 2008, 04:11 PM
No offense DT, but I'm not convinced by your "value" argument.

New:
V6 SE - $65k drive away
TDV6 SE - 75K + on roads, say another 4k?, so in total 14k more?

Redbook on a 2006 SE - 30-50km
V6 SE $47.6 to $51.7 private sale
TDV6 SE $53.7 to $58.2 private sale, so say an average of 6k more than the V6 SE.

So after 4 years I sell my V6 for 6k less than what I would if it was a TDV6, but I saved 14k up front. Gee, even if it was 10k less, I still had 14k in my pocket for 4 years! I think the running costs will be about the same over the period (I get 15s around town, my mate in a TDV6 gets 12s). His econ is better but he's paying more.

Don't get me wrong; I kill for the TD but from an economic stand point only, I think the V6 wins the case.

Also, if the mags are comparing the V6SE with the TDV6 S, then there's no comparison. I doubt there's any D3 drivers on the forum who'd vote for a coil sprung D3 over the air sprung, TR SE.

If there was a V6 S then maybe it'd be a different argument.

Cheers.:)

Have a look at the resale values of V6 vs TDV6. The extra cost of the TDV6 can be recooped in the increased resale price. A number of mags have done this exercise recently. New, TDV6 is better buying.
Second hand a V6 is better buying.
I went TDV6 for safety in the desert as I don't like petrol refuelling from jerries in the middle of no-where.
Someone will disagree, but this my personal view.

Desert Traveller
24th May 2008, 10:45 PM
WhiteD3,
I travel around 45k per year. based on real fuel useage the way I drive, the TDV6 saves around 4-6 litres/100 kms. Even allowing for the 12-15% higher cost for diesel, I'm a long way ahead after just 3 years (having recooped the extra cost) the additional resale is a bonus if I was to sell.
The redbook values will now be distorted with diesel @170/litre and Ron98 well over 150/litre.
I looked very hard at the V6 based on the lower buy in price, but after a whole of life analysis. the TDV6 came out ahead. Doing less than about 30k per year the V6 comes out ahead.

weirluo
29th May 2008, 11:53 AM
It looks like 2009 will be a very busy year for Land Rover.

It’s also likely that we’ll see the Discovery’s current 2.7-litre V6 diesel grow to 3.0-litres.

:D that would be good. I'll definitely try to get one then.

current 2.7-litre V6 diesel is still not "that" good compared with X5's single turbo in line diesel. BMW's twin turbo diesel 3.0 is 2008 engine of the year, a true monster. wish we can have a similar one on D3.

CaverD3
29th May 2008, 12:20 PM
The 3 litre probably won't be any better on the figures as it is being increased in dispacement to deal with the new euro emmissions target.
The LR TDV8 engine is a corker and only single turbo. :D Wish they put it in the D3.:(

weirluo
29th May 2008, 08:05 PM
The 3 litre probably won't be any better on the figures as it is being increased in dispacement to deal with the new euro emmissions target.
The LR TDV8 engine is a corker and only single turbo. :D Wish they put it in the D3.:(

:confused::confused::confused:

TDV8 will be excellent if it's in the D3, but I guess who would buy a RR then?

If D3 is anything short in my opinion, it would be its diesel model on road 0-100km/s performance, 12s...:angel:, X5 needs about 8s... I know, I know, I can't get everything:p

WhiteD3
29th May 2008, 08:17 PM

If D3 is anything short in my opinion, it would be its diesel model on road 0-100km/s performance, 12s...:angel:, X5 needs about 8s... I know, I know, I can't get everything:p

The D3 is a 4WD and probably the most capable ever built. The X5 is not.

It's really a question of what you want to do....blow away cruisers at the lights or go off road/tour/tow.

Jamo
29th May 2008, 09:54 PM
Weirluo, I think you may be looking at the wrong vehicle for your needs.

If straight line performance is your game, then I'd be looking at the RRS TDV8 rather than the D3.

You'll find the RRS is a much better vehicle than the Beemer shopping trolley!

weirluo
6th June 2008, 05:20 PM

I agree almost all BMW cars are over priced and somewhat over praised as well by its beemer/fans.

However, Land Rover badge is way behind BMW. this is especially true in Australia after its taken over by Tata.

No offence, everyone, I love D3 myself. it's a shame that LR could not maintain its prestige as a top end brand.

CaverD3
6th June 2008, 07:03 PM
LR still has presige in Europe. It all comes down to marketing in recent years BMW, Mercades an Lexus have marketed themselves as prestige brands. Look at the old Lexus SUV, it's a Kluger but people bought who wouldn't dream of buying a Toyota.
Oz is too small a market for LR to really bother putting the dollars into marketing.
There again if they had done so we would be payong more for out Landys.:o

Aedo
16th June 2008, 03:58 PM

Weirluo, I think you may be looking at the wrong vehicle for your needs.

If straight line performance is your game, then I'd be looking at the RRS TDV8 rather than the D3.

I have to say that I would like a lower 0-100km/h time than I get out of the V6 SE... my 3yr old gets car sick on the highway and the brakes are great for getting onto the hard shoulder before she throws up;)... acceleration back to highway speed isn't so good:o....