PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of the Disco Drone

BradM
5th May 2008, 08:22 AM
Hi,
Both my TD5 Engine mounts were stuffed and I changed them out. How smooth it is now, gearbox clunk gone as well when it changes gear but then I realised that I had a "Drone" as well.

Back under the Disco I discovered that the exhaust had what I thought was too much East - West movement when pushing the tail pipe and the main muffler. This led me to the rubbers that suspend the exhaust system.

Two of them had splits in them allowing excess movement and I heavily suspect, resonation of the exhaust system at certain revs. Also since I fitted the new engine mounts lifting the motor back to correct position in the engine bay the bend in the pipe going over the rear axale could actually knock on the Watts linkage nut on the passanger side.

This now explains a intermittant knocking sound that I had when turning right that I have been trying to pin down.

An oxy down at the local tyre shop on the back pipe bend and a bit of pressure along with some new rubbers to suspend the exhaust system and all I hear now is "The wind rushing past the cabin".

Oh, so quiet and an absolute pleasure to drive, along with the two new engine mounts my sanity and love of my Disco has restored.

I need to also point out that the origional centre muffler has already been replaced on my Disco with an OEM "Vortex" muffler. This mod alone gave a 20% reduction in fuel usage plus added more power to the Tombraider ECU Remap plus it was as quiet as the origional.

Now to the, dare I say it...no I won't....Shopping Trolley (front end reco needed, what fun).

One extra happy, Disco II TD5 driver :D
BradM

Graeme
5th May 2008, 07:44 PM
That's great news, Brad.

I had noticed that my exhaust has plenty of east-west movement when checking the flexible joint below the turbo. Its time to don the overalls and have a look under mine and hope it has the same problem.

Well done!
Graeme

Edit: No, mine are OK, but the muffler rattles at those droney revs! Time for a Vortex perhaps.

simonr23
5th May 2008, 09:43 PM
what about just removing the centre muffler? is it legal to do so? any performance/economy/interior noise negatives.

Pedro_The_Swift
7th May 2008, 04:02 PM
while the sound is better without a centre muffler,,
its not a "quality" noise,,, probably due to the standard resonator. Might be time for a lukey,,,,:cool:

greg smith
8th May 2008, 06:08 AM
I have had this "drone" since purchase of 02td5,balanced both d-shafts replaced tyres and then wheels,replaced front d-shaft,recently both eng. mounts--now--this exaust deal:plenty of E/W movement, the idea of removing large centre muffler? Straight through? or replacement with after market? The idea of increased fuel economy-great- stop the annoying drone-pure pleasure!!!!!

BradM
10th May 2008, 01:57 PM
I highly reccomend the vortex muffler. It gives more power and better fuel economy. It was origionally reccomended to me by Tombraider after an ECU remap by him as he was trying one out on his Defender at the time (Lara) with good results.

I cannot get over how smooooth the Disco is now. The auto changes as smooth as silk.

BradM

BradM
10th May 2008, 02:04 PM
Graeme, if you have East - West movement at the flexible joint, some thing is amiss with the exhaust as I had the same before hand and now it is as stiff as a board up at the joint and right through to the tail pipe.

BradM

mcrover
10th May 2008, 02:21 PM
I highly reccomend the vortex muffler. It gives more power and better fuel economy. It was origionally reccomended to me by Tombraider after an ECU remap by him as he was trying one out on his Defender at the time (Lara) with good results.

I cannot get over how smooooth the Disco is now. The auto changes as smooth as silk.

BradM

How much are these ......... Vortex..........Mufflers worth and can someone actually post some proof of a 20% decrease in fuel usage or increase in power.

Is it just for TD5's or would it suit TDI, I only ask as I want to get a better note but not lose flow.

Im going to try a hotdog type ressy as at the moment it sounds like a very long fart when taking off hard.....not very appealing sound.

BradM
12th May 2008, 03:26 PM
The exhaust sound is the same on my Disco TD5 as it was before the origional muffler was swapped out. It definitely brought my fuel economy back. I was origionally going to go down the straight pipe idea but I am glad I went this way. It has paid for itself.

Vortex High Performance Exhausts (http://vortexexhausts.com.au/index.html)

BradM

Discozook
12th May 2008, 07:36 PM
The exhaust sound is the same on my Disco TD5 as it was before the origional muffler was swapped out. It definitely brought my fuel economy back. I was origionally going to go down the straight pipe idea but I am glad I went this way. It has paid for itself.

Vortex High Performance Exhausts (http://vortexexhausts.com.au/index.html)

BradM

What have you done with the rear muffler did you change this for something else

BradM
14th May 2008, 08:18 AM
Hi, The rear smaller muffler is still the the origional Land Rover one and is still there. I was going to get rid of it and the Cat Converter but I had such good results just swapping out the centre one I left the rest as is.

When I can get onto someone who will remove the Cat converter or a second hand TD5 front pipe to swap with I will dispose of the Cat Converter all together. This from threads I have seen on this site should make the exhaust better free flowing.

BradM

AussieLandRover
14th May 2008, 12:45 PM
Hi, The rear smaller muffler is still the the origional Land Rover one and is still there. I was going to get rid of it and the Cat Converter but I had such good results just swapping out the centre one I left the rest as is.

When I can get onto someone who will remove the Cat converter or a second hand TD5 front pipe to swap with I will dispose of the Cat Converter all together. This from threads I have seen on this site should make the exhaust better free flowing.

BradM

Personally I would not remove the cat converter as then it's illegal just purchase a replacement a high flow cat converter.