PDA

View Full Version : Landrover Dormobiles Down Under.....

jerryd
9th May 2008, 11:11 PM
Hi,
I'm just wondering if there are many genuine dormobiles here in Australia. I did find one for sale awhile back in Brisbane,but as I was viewing it a guy in America pressed the "buy it now" button and the owner refused to sell it to me :( It is now in america and is pictured on the dormobile site. Shame, as it was a real timewarp and was well cared for.

If anyone has any info, or knows of one that might be up for grabs, or even parts from one, roof assembly. seats etc. I'd be glad to hear from you ;)

fraser130
10th May 2008, 09:12 AM
I had one when I was 18, and stupidly sold it for $2500 so I could buy a valiant 2 door Pacer (which was soon after written off by a guy running a stop sign), wish I'd kept it and swapped the bits into a Defender!
Best car I ever owned. Needed a sailsbury though.

Fraser

JDNSW
10th May 2008, 09:23 AM
Hi,
I'm just wondering if there are many genuine dormobiles here in Australia. .......

They were always very rare here, and except for places like the Cooma gathering it is many years since I have actually seen one.

John

George130
10th May 2008, 11:08 AM
I have only ever seen one for sale. I didn't have the $$$ to buy it at the time.

Gaz69
10th May 2008, 01:22 PM
My Father has on that he has owned since the early 70's but would never part with it. Needs a full resto though. Have posted a photo on this sight a couple of years ago.

Reads90
10th May 2008, 04:31 PM
Well they are still around and being made in the Uk by Dormoblie. I went round the gaydon 60th show with the curent owner of Dormoblie
So they are still throwing them out

cookiesa
10th May 2008, 10:11 PM
Ok load, aim, FIRE

What is a Dormoblie

Reads90
10th May 2008, 10:31 PM
Ok load, aim, FIRE

What is a Dormoblie

Have a look here Landrover Dormobiles (http://www.dormobile.org.uk/Land_Rover_New.htm) or here Land Rover Dormobiles (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Dormobile/index.html) and it will explain it all :)

fraser130
10th May 2008, 10:32 PM
Have a look here: Dormobile pictures 2 (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Dormobile/pictures2.html)

Damn, I got all nostalgic looking at the pictures:(

Fraser

cookiesa
10th May 2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks, I was thinking it might have been a military variant!

4wd4fun
10th May 2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks for posting the link to picks i was lost too. Have seen them before did not now what they were called, had seen a picture in UK of similar roof on a Rangrover Clasic only had front seats fitted. You could make replica up and fitted to old landy, defender or 110.

JDNSW
11th May 2008, 07:18 AM
I don't remember ever seeing them advertised for sale here, and I suspect all of the few in the country are one off imports, mostly by private owners, but perhaps a few by dealers to meet customer requests.

John

Sprint
11th May 2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks, I was thinking it might have been a military variant!

technically they are, there were dormobiles used by the RAF as command posts IIRC

mrapocalypse
12th May 2008, 10:00 AM
What's the other brand of English landy Camper. I saw one this morning. Wierd!

Sprint
12th May 2008, 10:05 AM
Carawagon?

Phoenix
12th May 2008, 10:09 AM
Carwagon and doormobile are a little different.

I have seen one down here that my old man was looking at buying. Not sure what happened to it.

numpty
12th May 2008, 11:07 AM
And I thought it was the Carawagon which was the military one. Whereas Dormobile used to do a lot of civilian conversions, such as some Kombi's in the 70's.

Phoenix
12th May 2008, 01:07 PM
In fact I believe that the doormobile used the same kitchen bits as the kombis (or so I was lead to believe)

Sleepy
12th May 2008, 01:17 PM
I saw one on ebay a few months back. Was a light blue colour S2a starting price about $2000 in Sth Aust. I think it was a private import from memory. Not sure if it sold.

abaddonxi
17th December 2008, 12:08 AM
On ebay at the moment.

Land Rover Series IIA Dormobile - eBay, Passenger Vehicles, Cars, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 26-Dec-08 15:15:18 AEDST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Land-Rover-Series-IIA-Dormobile_W0QQitemZ140289467375QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ AU_Cars?hash=item140289467375&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318)

Cheers
Simon

JohnE
17th December 2008, 07:33 AM
Hey thats near me and the the back ground sheds looks very much like the new buildings at the back of the industrial estate near the airport.

If anyone is interested , just let me know and i;ll duck down and have a closer look.

john

Bigherbie
17th December 2008, 06:29 PM
I once fitted the tilting roof off a Dormobile Bedford CA Romany to my 2A.

It fitted very well and made the 2A a good travelling vehicle.

In the late 60's my late father built fibregalss elevating roof Kombis, Commers and Land Rovers.

He fitted a few Landy's with his roof. From memory they were Commer van units. Telstra (then GPO) bought a few from him.

It was very similar to the Dormobile but skirted their patents by using a differnet lifting and locking mechanism that he in turn patented. The business was called Tilt-Top Conversions.

Lotz-A-Landies
17th December 2008, 07:19 PM
On ebay at the moment.

Land Rover Series IIA Dormobile - eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Land-Rover-Series-IIA-Dormobile_W0QQitemZ140289467375QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ AU_Cars?hash=item140289467375&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318)

Cheers
SimonLooking at what you can see, there is not much of the Dormobile left in that vehicle. Just the roof and the fabric on that doesn't look to be in very good condition.

Can't see any of the Dormobile cupboards, probably no sink and the Dormobile
seats all seem to be missing.

Far to much to pay for a 1964 stationwagon with a Dormobile roof, if the buy it now price is also the reserve.

jerryd
17th December 2008, 11:16 PM
I believe that was the one that was in Adelaide for sale a few months back, I think it sold for $1500.00.

I was interested in it for the roof and bunks, cost to buy and ship one from the uk would be about $7k:eek: Although I don't think it's a straight swap with a county roof, maybe you'd have to fit a split screen ??

John E, I'll send you a pm regarding having a look for me ;)

We used to have one in the uk, had lots of fun in it

Lotz-A-Landies
17th December 2008, 11:23 PM
I believe that was the one that was in Adelaide for sale a few months back, I think it sold for $1500.00.

I was interested in it for the roof and bunks, cost to buy and ship one from the uk would be about $7k:eek: Although I don't think it's a straight swap with a county roof, maybe you'd have to fit a split screen ??

John E, I'll send you a pm regarding having a look for me ;)

We used to have one in the U.K., had lots of fun in itJerry

I think that you will find that the differences between the Defender/County screens are all in the windscreen part which are forward of the Dormobile roof fitting. That and the ribs, which are present on the early Countys but not the later ones and the Defenders.

However you should reinforce the windscreen fittings on any County or Defender because thay are a known weakness in the design.

Diana

JohnE
19th December 2008, 09:17 AM
oki doki got it
seller emailed for viewing time

john

JohnE
20th December 2008, 10:03 AM
got a reply the bloke/runs/works in ballina car yard, is there this am, will go for roll down the hill , know what jerry wants me to look at anyone else !!

john

Chucaro
20th December 2008, 05:35 PM
Is a simple project example HERE (http://www.eastcoastrover.com/67.html) if someone is keen to give it a go :angel:

JohnE
21st December 2008, 08:50 AM
Had a look at it yesterday, interesting, a 1964 model with manufacturers plate, learnt a little about the dormobile from talking to the seller. Directed him to this site as he has a ser 1 he is doing up. The usual story too many projects, wife puts foot down!!

Info for jerry in a PM.

john

andrew e
21st December 2008, 08:49 PM
There was a 110 county turbo isuzu doormobile on ebay about 2 years ago, it didnt sell for the starting price of 5k. Some people on outerlimits knew the car and said it had a matt black rattlecan paintjob. It did have 35 inch tyres too. it was in vic if i remember rightly.
Andy

EchiDna
21st December 2008, 11:48 PM
There was a 110 county turbo isuzu doormobile on ebay about 2 years ago, it didnt sell for the starting price of 5k. Some people on outerlimits knew the car and said it had a matt black rattlecan paintjob. It did have 35 inch tyres too. it was in vic if i remember rightly.
Andy

close, but not quite... it's mine now and started on Ebay at $15k! I eventually got it for less than half that... and it's a pop top, not a genuine doormobile

VladTepes
23rd December 2008, 05:34 PM
Inc ? Where are you ?

I'm pretty sure Inc used to have one once.

andrew e
23rd December 2008, 10:34 PM
close, but not quite... it's mine now and started on Ebay at $15k! I eventually got it for less than half that... and it's a pop top, not a genuine doormobile

Yeah, i must have been mistaken on the price, but i'm sure it was under 10k. bargain anyway, do you have any current pics?
Andy

EchiDna
23rd December 2008, 11:46 PM
Yeah, i must have been mistaken on the price, but i'm sure it was under 10k. bargain anyway, do you have any current pics?
Andy
pics? nope... it's sitting in my folks driveway waiting for me to go home and drive it someday :(

it did go for under $10k on Ebay on the second or third time around - there was a buy it now at $8.5k (I think). I bought it after that...

Looigi
30th November 2016, 08:52 PM
Hello All,

Here are some pictures of my 1963 Land Rover Series IIa Dormobile. He started life as a diesel, but the previous owner has put a Holden 202 in.

The current plan is to fix the brakes, the rusty doors, and a few other bits and pieces. Restoration can wait until a few other projects are dealt with.

He has been sitting in a barn for about 15 years hence the dust, but otherwise is in good nick.

Chris