PDA

View Full Version : Pricing - 2007 Defender?

Greylandy
12th May 2008, 10:05 AM
I am interested to find out what all you new owners paid for the new Defender? I know this could be considered a "personal question" so feel free to shoot me a PM or tell me to **** off if you are uncomfortable sharing!

Main reason I am asking is a recent enquiry at a dealer was met with "they are in demand so you pay full retail plus onroads - no discounts here buddy - don't even ask for free accessories" Perhaps not in those words but that is the feeling I got. Just trying to gauge if it is worthwhile to shop around or wait until the shine has worn off.

jddisco200tdi
12th May 2008, 10:23 AM
In Melbourne I think you have some negotiating power as both ULR/MLR and Lance Dixon want your business, so you can deal somewhat.

Also if you buy any accessories, get them from the spares department (separated from the car purchase), Both the above offer discounts to LROCV members. If you can do it this way, you keep the car under the luxury car tax threshold.

spudboy
12th May 2008, 07:13 PM
"they are in demand so you pay full retail plus onroads - no discounts here buddy - don't even ask for free accessories"

This is exactly the line I got from the Adelaide dealer. Best I could do was a set of front mudflaps included in the price, as they are shown in all the brochures and I guilted them in to supplying them as part of the basic vehicle.

one_iota
13th May 2008, 08:06 AM
No reduction in price but they offered 3 years free servicing because the company I work for has a fleet deal in WA.

They went to the trouble of finding this out even though it will be my car and not the company's.

solmanic
13th May 2008, 08:30 AM
Same here - no discounts. The best I could do was wangle a shortened delivery time.

Rugrat
13th May 2008, 11:08 AM
Sounds like I did a bit better - shortened delivery, tow pack, mud mats plus a full fuel tank and ( was the Motor show car though not sure how many bums have been on the 7 seats).

It was like extracting teeth though - but from memory ULR and MLR are the same company. They may have different targets so will fight each other for your business.

But its worth the haggle and even if you get a free coffee cup - you'll love the brute when you get it :D

Scallops
13th May 2008, 11:23 AM
Sounds like I did a bit better - shortened delivery, tow pack, mud mats plus a full fuel tank and ( was the Motor show car though not sure how many bums have been on the 7 seats).

It was like extracting teeth though - but from memory ULR and MLR are the same company. They may have different targets so will fight each other for your business.

But its worth the haggle and even if you get a free coffee cup - you'll love the brute when you get it :D

They all come with a full tank of fuel - but you did do well. I got ZERO deal with mine - it was hard to bargain when I ordered it in November 2006! :D

Rugrat
13th May 2008, 11:58 AM
They all come with a full tank of fuel

:eek2::eek2::eek2: why cant everyone do that - saves sprinting to the nearest servo when you roll off the forecourt :D and i thought i was special...

CaverD3
13th May 2008, 02:47 PM
Do the deal at the end of the month. It may help the salesman's figures to get your sale in this month.
Try a couple of dealers for price and mention the other dealer when speaking to the other.:D

solmanic
13th May 2008, 04:51 PM
Do the deal at the end of the month. It may help the salesman's figures to get your sale in this month.
Try a couple of dealers for price and mention the other dealer when speaking to the other.:D

This is good in theory for general vehicle purchases, but on something that has a 6-7 month lead time they really just don't care. The first dealer I spoke to acted as though I did him a favour when I went back two days later to tell him I ordered elsewhere. Besides, with Land Rovers the dealers generally prefer to sell Range Rovers or Discoveries with higher margins than Defenders anyway.

Oh, and for the record I got a full tank of fuel too.

Greylandy
15th May 2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks fellas .. all good advice. I'm in no rush to get a new one so I will have a chat to all the dealers in Sydney metro.

Mahn, that is a pretty good deal you got there!

Searover
15th May 2008, 09:16 PM
only gave me a $1500.00 discount and thats after reminding them that the disco needs replacing some time 2009.