PDA

View Full Version : More engine replacement Q's

Cap
14th May 2008, 09:48 AM
Been looking at threads and talking to members about either spicing up the 3.5 for more torque, or replacing the engine with something else.

The reason for this is that I will be doing more towing in the future (when I get my camper trailer :)) and as it is, the 3.5 is guttless with 33's (I have an lt95).

So if I was to replace the engine with an oil sniffer, I dont want to spend big $$ so I was thinking (which is dangerous):

a) Sell the 3.5 complete with the LPG system (what would I get for these???)

and

b) Buy a good condition 200tdi or 300tdi and bang it in. I say 200tdi as I think these should be cheap now days. (yes, I will even loose the sweet V8 if need be)

I do NOT want to spend big money on this conversion, so if its going to look like I need to spend heaps forget it! (hence why I dont even mention Isuzu)

Im not after downright performance, more torque is what I need. I own a 300tdi Disco and know that it has great towing capacity, so this is what im after.

Any thoughts??

Carlos

trobbo
14th May 2008, 09:53 AM
With the engine options suggested and a tight budget in mind I was going to suggest that you might as well sell the rangie complete and go and buy a series 1 diesel disco as they can be had for a good price (I know a bloke who bought one off ebay for 2.5k recently) - then i read the rest of your post and saw you already have one.

Any reason for not using your disco?

Bigbjorn
14th May 2008, 10:01 AM
Been looking at threads and talking to members about either spicing up the 3.5 for more torque, or replacing the engine with something else.

The reason for this is that I will be doing more towing in the future (when I get my camper trailer :)) and as it is, the 3.5 is guttless with 33's (I have an lt95).

So if I was to replace the engine with an oil sniffer, I dont want to spend big $$ so I was thinking (which is dangerous):

and

b) Buy a good condition 200tdi or 300tdi and bang it in. I say 200tdi as I think these should be cheap now days. (yes, I will even loose the sweet V8 if need be)

I do NOT want to spend big money on this conversion, so if its going to look like I need to spend heaps forget it! (hence why I dont even mention Isuzu)

Im not after downright performance, more torque is what I need. I own a 300tdi Disco and know that it has great towing capacity, so this is what im after.

Any thoughts??

Carlos

Why don't you contact TwoUp who is seeking Qld Transport approval to fit an aluminium block Detroit 3-53 to a Defender. Light, compact, and lots of grunt.

Cap
14th May 2008, 10:10 AM
Reason for not using my disco is that its a 99, im beautiful condition and its the 'main' family car. I actually bought the Rangie to be the secondary bush machine and therefore im not worried about damaging it in the rough stuff.

I understand what you mean about complete vehicles being so cheap, but that will also mean mine would fetch next to nothing. Im happy with the Rangie and plan on keeping it for some time yet. I was hoping that a wrecked S1 tdi200 disco, if complete may only be worth up a few tho, so the engine on its own wouldnt cost too much, surely.

Brian, your suggestion already sounds expensive! :D

Chucaro
14th May 2008, 12:51 PM
Why not a 3.9 V8 on gas? Cheaper to run, cheap to get and beautiful smooth engine?
I think that Justin will go in this way with his boss Rangie.
Chau

2_door
14th May 2008, 02:36 PM
Hi Arthur, I think JC is going down the Isuzu path with the 'bosses' Rangie....I hope so anyway cause thats where my 'new' gearbox is coming from :o

I dont think the 3.9 will go straight onto gas without some mods, something to do with the compression ratio, its not high enough to work with the gas :unsure:

Chucaro
14th May 2008, 02:58 PM
Oh, so he changed the idea again:eek: He must have plenty dough :D
The last time that we have a chat he was going to fit high compression pistons on the 3.9 and go to gas.
As long as the original petrol tank is left in the vehicle and the gas tank on board there will be no problem for long range trips.
I not was very happy with my standard Tdi300. To take off on the lights towing the 1 ton trailer generally I used to switch off the AC.
The economy was good without towing (10ltsX100km) I hired a furnisher removal trailer once (high wind resistance), with only one lounge suite inside and the Disco averaged 18 lt per 100Km form Brisi to Bundy :eek:
Cheers

rovercare
14th May 2008, 03:00 PM
Hi Arthur, I think JC is going down the Isuzu path with the 'bosses' Rangie....

300tdi;)

Cap
14th May 2008, 04:05 PM
Is he going 300tdi Matt?? Hmmm, would be good to see what mods are required then.

smally4.6
14th May 2008, 05:02 PM

and

Any thoughts??

Carlos
If the 3.5 is healthy ,why not change ring & pinion or transfer gears(defender)
cheers brett.

Cap
14th May 2008, 05:57 PM
Just looking at options. I will change the cam etc as JC suggested and then ill see. At the moment it feels tired, like ive got the handbrake slightly on, especially when taking off on a hill.

Taz
14th May 2008, 07:04 PM
I tow with a 300Tdi disco and 89 EFI 3.5 RR. The rangie performs significantly better up hills and consumes only 2lt/100km more (based on 1.3t camper trailer over the same 800k trip). Factor in the price differential btn petrol and diesel and there's nothin in it. As others have said, unloaded the disco is s%&t loads better in terms of economy.

smally4.6
15th May 2008, 06:19 AM
Just looking at options. I will change the cam etc as JC suggested and then ill see. At the moment it feels tired, like ive got the handbrake slightly on, especially when taking off on a hill.

33's is a big tyre to run on standard gearing,im running 31's, considering upgrading to 32's but concerned about the effect on ratios especially fifth gear... need to make a decision soon tread getting low??
cheers brett

Rangier Rover
15th May 2008, 06:47 AM
4.11 cwps:D or Nissan/Toyota diff swap::eek

Cap
15th May 2008, 09:23 AM
I tow with a 300Tdi disco and 89 EFI 3.5 RR. The rangie performs significantly better up hills and consumes only 2lt/100km more (based on 1.3t camper trailer over the same 800k trip). Factor in the price differential btn petrol and diesel and there's nothin in it. As others have said, unloaded the disco is s%&t loads better in terms of economy.

Well, that only shows that my ratios are out and I need some engine tuning as i think I would struggle uphills at the moment. To give an example, I was following Shorty (D1 V8 towing a camper trailer) and I was probably only marginally better off uphills and I wasnt towing anything! Also, I drove my old mans 3.5 EFI (Chucaro) and I could definetely feel the difference in performance, although he was only running 32's.

trobbo
15th May 2008, 09:23 AM
I dont think you would get much for your 3.5 engine with or without the gas system.

Have you towed the said camper with your disco? The reason I ask is that I am not sure the conversion you are talking about will solve your problem. Most people I have spoken to say that towing with the 200tdi is quite painful and slow on hills. The TD5 engines appear to be much better but would not yet be a cheap conversion.

Running 33's would certainly warrant fitting 4.11 CWP and so I expect this will make more of a performance difference than sprucing up the engine or changing to a 3.9. A gear ratio change will set you back roughly $1200. You could probably get a 3.9 for similiar money.

Chucaro
16th May 2008, 06:34 PM
33's is a big tyre to run on standard gearing,im running 31's, considering upgrading to 32's but concerned about the effect on ratios especially fifth gear... need to make a decision soon tread getting low??
cheers brett

My Rangie 1988 3.5 FI manual is fitted with Maxxis 235x85x16 (32") and towing a 1 ton trailer performed in speed better than my old 1998 Tdi300 manual.
fuel is different history, the Disco about 12 to 13 lts x 100 km the Rangie 16 lts + depending the quality of the fuel :mad:
If I have to tow anything taller than my trailer (caravan) I will not go over 31" (245x75x16)
Why not have 2 sets of tyres for different applications? would be cheaper :)
Cheers

rovercare
16th May 2008, 06:55 PM
I dont think you would get much for your 3.5 engine with or without the gas system.

Have you towed the said camper with your disco? The reason I ask is that I am not sure the conversion you are talking about will solve your problem. Most people I have spoken to say that towing with the 200tdi is quite painful and slow on hills. The TD5 engines appear to be much better but would not yet be a cheap conversion.

Running 33's would certainly warrant fitting 4.11 CWP and so I expect this will make more of a performance difference than sprucing up the engine or changing to a 3.9. A gear ratio change will set you back roughly $1200. You could probably get a 3.9 for similiar money.

4.11's wont make that much of a difference, more cubes is the answer, or oiler:D

When we did the Tojo centre conversion on my mates disco, he was hoping for more.................that's why its now got a chev;)

I remember towing 9x5 tandem with an empty shell on it with a 3.5l 2 door with 33's on it, couldn't get over 60k ont the flat:eek:, piece of poo:(

Even when I towed that land rover back (no motor/box and ute cab only) from Damien's with another 2 door I was wrecking, it had a high comp, reco 3.9 with cam etc, (Davo now owns the motor) and this thing went good for a rover motor, on 31's to, down the South Gippy highway, and it was a fuggin pain in the arse:mad:

Back to 4rd, back to third and 4-4500rpms up the hills