PDA

View Full Version : TD5 fuel consumption

lro11
17th May 2008, 11:47 AM
Have a look at this ebay listing I can't believe the fuel consumption this guy is quoting I can't get my disco anywhere near this figure????
Is this a load of BS or do other people get this figure out of their discos.
landrover discovery - eBay, Passenger Vehicles, Cars, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 18-May-08 19:56:50 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/landrover-discovery_W0QQitemZ160239517146QQihZ006QQcategoryZ 35227QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

ak
17th May 2008, 12:36 PM
I think 740 out of a tank for city driving might be a bit of BS. I use to get 650 city driving, but since I added ARB bar, lights, winch, areial and so on I am lucky if I get 550 out of a tank for city driving.

Blknight.aus
17th May 2008, 12:52 PM
I dont have a problem with that...

If I drive nice I get that out of big red and I'm thinking that shes carrying more than your disco would be mind you Im on the fuel light when I get there but its still going under its own power.

numpty
17th May 2008, 01:38 PM
That's only about 23/24 miles per gallon (12.5 l/hundred k's) We get better than this out of the Defender, and 9 to 10l/hundred on long drives.(28.5/30mpg)

But then, we are not speed demons either.:p

defender90
17th May 2008, 01:57 PM
the current average figure that i'm getting in the 90 is 9.647L/100

loanrangie
17th May 2008, 02:17 PM
Doesnt the D2 have a 95ltr tank and a Defy around 70 odd ltrs ?

scarry
17th May 2008, 02:42 PM
dont like this"out of a tank of fuel" way of working out fuel consumption....it"s not real accurate....especially if you are using it to sell somethig

have put 95 litres in mine to fill it brim full once

generally mine an auto gets around 11-11.5/100ks around town& have got best of 8.8/100k on a long run sitting at around 90-95klks.generally on a run even loaded but with no roof rack i can get 9.5l/100k going at around 100-110klks

mines pretty light being a 5 seater(2 seater on big trips-i take out the rear seat)

cheers
paul

time to work out how paypal works so i can subscribe & get my signature back

cant i just post a cheque......:):o

Redback
17th May 2008, 04:15 PM
We get 10.5l/100k too and from work and 14 to 15l/100k loaded with the camper on.

770k is the best we have got before i have refilled, that was our 10.5l/100k with 81ltrs used.

Baz.

scarry
17th May 2008, 04:24 PM
baz
have u tried to dribble it in real slow it does take a while.u will be surprised how much more u can get in.cant remember but i am sure i got over 1000ks out of a tank in mine once.:)i never tow anything or have a rack on
also once the light is on there is 9litres left

cheers paul

Xtreme
17th May 2008, 04:42 PM
baz
have u tried to dribble it in real slow it does take a while.u will be surprised how much more u can get in.cant remember but i am sure i got over 1000ks out of a tank in mine once.:)i never tow anything or have a rack on
also once the light is on there is 9litres left

cheers paul

With a Disco, you'll get about an extra 10 litres in if you 'dribble' after initial cutout.

The only way to calculate accurate fuel consumption is to fill to the same level each time or do your calculation over about 10 tankfulls - that way the irregularity in refilling becomes less of a factor in the calc.

I record every fill and calculate consumption for each fill and also an overall consumption since purchase.

IMHO anything better than 11 l/100kms overall from a Td5 is pretty good. Make that figure 10 l/100kms for a Tdi.

scarry
17th May 2008, 04:46 PM
thats correct if u dribble it in till u can see it & do this for a couple of tank fulls u are on the money:)

cheers paul

BradM
17th May 2008, 05:41 PM
I got 10.2 litres 100klms sitting on 110 klms an hour towing a Quintrex 4.45 Dory back from Perth to Karratha. Get 15 litres 100 klms towing the van loaded (2,500 kg) at 100 klms an hour.

Filled the tank at Exmouth with 96 litres once.

simonr23
17th May 2008, 07:16 PM
my last tank of fuel lasted for 850kms and it took 91litres in total. auto td5 disco2. had 300kms of country roads, avg of 81kph(town zones, stop starting included). then 5hrs/100kms of sand driving in 4wd-lowrange, and the remainder was inner city/suburban driving(av speed of 36kph) this is all gps calculated for distances and av speeds. i used the same fuel pump at tailem bend and filled to the second click-off point both times.

Jedimastermat
17th May 2008, 09:12 PM
Hi All
I just bought a 99 TD5 7 seater saturday fornight ago. I got 850km out of the first tank but that was f3 home and i do the m2 at 5:30 in the orning but its 60km one way to work, I put 85L back in when the light very first came on.
Im on my second tank, did this week 500km and indicator (as accurate as they are) is only half way.
Im stoked so far. Cant wait to do some real driving in it.
Mat

owoodland
18th May 2008, 06:49 PM
740 km is easy to get IMO. I fill to the brim every time and get over 800 km by the time the light comes on.

I haven't been impressed with the TD5 fuel economy overall, because I get about 10.7-11 l per 100 km pretty much all the time. I have roof racks on with kayak carriers but that didn't make a huge difference.

My dear old TDI (with about 400,000 kms) NEVER got worse than 9.9 l per 100 km, and that was towing almost the whole time. Most of the time it did 8.5 to 9 l per 100 km and I once had 1000 km out of a tank (86 litre refill). Not with the D2 (and that has a 10 litre larger fuel tank), I've never even had 900 km out of it I don't think.

You'd think the TD5 should be better than it is, really.

Anyone getting crap fuel economy on the TD5 should look at getting rid of the EGR valve, I did and it made at least 1 l per 100 km difference to the fuel economy (for the better, that is).

At $1.80 a litre for diesel it's almost an investment!

Slunnie
18th May 2008, 06:57 PM
Anyone getting crap fuel economy on the TD5 should look at getting rid of the EGR valve, I did and it made at least 1 l per 100 km difference to the fuel economy (for the better, that is).

At $1.80 a litre for diesel it's almost an investment!
Is that literally? I've just taken delivery of an antiEGR kit.

Blknight.aus
18th May 2008, 07:29 PM
its only a fact if your EGR is cactus and leaking...

under the right circumstances removing the EGR does what a hiclone promises to do

gives you more power
gives you better fuel economy.

ok not entirely true, what it will do is bring the engine preformance as near as practicable to what the engine was capable of when it was new. IF youve bought a second handy landy thats always had a dodgy EGR valve you'll not believe what it will do for you. (and you'll wonder why they fitted the stupid thing in the first place)

IF youve got a good EGR vavle and you fit and EGR blanking/bypass kit you'll treat it with the same sceptisism that the hiclone deserves BUT what it will be doing is preventing you from feeding your inlet tract the equivelent of valve grinding paste. Which will assist in preventing you from loosing the preformance of the engine.

scarry
18th May 2008, 07:47 PM
is it easy to tell if the egr is playing up? or do you wait until the car runs like a hairy goat & then you know something is amiss

regards paul

:):)

Blknight.aus
18th May 2008, 08:12 PM
yep whip off the intercooler hose from the front of the EGR and with a mirror on a stick and a Small torch look down it If you see black granuals on the surfaces of the plunger valve its more than likely leaking

it doesnt normally run like a hairy goat but the simple test with the engine warmed up is to give it a short sharp rev up to full RPM with no load on it and snap the throttle closed.

What should happen is the engine will drop off to idle rpm and stay there. IF thats the case your EGR is near enough to on spec

IF it drops off, dips below idle RPM then hunts a little before settling down to idle its not doing its job properly (your MAP sensor can also be on the way out)

If you have the granules OR you have the idle hunt issue then its worth pulling the EGR out, cleaning it and replacing it OR bypassing it totaly.

one other thing you might find when you conduct this little test is that you have some oily carbony residue on the front of the EGR and inside the intercooler hose.

That would be the indication that you need to redo the crankcase ventilation system and possabley the turbo seals...

BMKal
19th May 2008, 01:28 AM
I'm regularly travelling between Fremantle and Kalgoorlie at the moment until I get my new work car next week. Distance is about 640km. Outside of built up areas, I sit on about 120 km/h on the cruise control in D2 Td5 manual. Have been using pretty consistently 62 litres per trip.

I don't know what I'll get out of a tank, as I normally never run a tank below about a quarter. But I fill to the top every re-fill, so should be a pretty consistent measurement by now.

There's not a lot of extra weight on mine. Alloy ECB Bullbar, set of roof rails, drawers in the back and that's about it. And running slightly larger than original tyres.

A mate from Kalgoorlie followed me down in his LC 80 series diesel last week. He wasn't happy when he had to fuel up at Merredin, and I had not even used half a tank by then - and we both have about the same size tank.

ak
19th May 2008, 09:00 AM
When you guys talk about a tank is that with the fuel light on or at the last line, I never let it get below the last line if I can help it.

With the city driving I do it is nearly always started cold in stop start traffic and 5 klm's then warm then another 5 klm's and shut down, so most of my trips are short with no more than 10 klm's stopping and starting, so maybe it's running rich all the time trying to warm up, 600 klm's out of a tank city driving is only a figure I can dream about.

I keep it well serviced and Dave just did the rev test and was normal so egr should be OK. So buggered if I know, can only wish I could get those sort of figures out of a tank.

Redback
19th May 2008, 01:44 PM
I get the Disco back today, i removed the racks and stuff on the roof, i'm going to leave them off for 2 tanks to see if there is a difference in economy.

So far 10.5lt/100k is the best with Rhino racks, shovel & Hilift, awning & pole carrier and 32s.

Should be interesting:)

Oh scarry, yes i dribble:D

Baz.

SuperSport
19th May 2008, 03:59 PM
Hi guys, interesting see how variable the tank sizes seem to be on the TD5.
I've been doing 200km a day commuting from the Gold Coast to Brisbane - mostly 110km/hr on the M1 but with peak hour crawl in and out of Brissy. I am getting 850 km to a tank - usually around 75l to fill.

markd2
19th May 2008, 04:50 PM
hi guys

the person selling the disco lives in badgerys creek which is in the outer western suburbs of Sydney and if he's going to town would be travelling the m5 a lot or city driving could be liverpool or campbelltown so this figure is not impossible if driven easy also check out the No plate AIH 12X my 1999 td5 is AIH 12Z freaky . Have driven mine to Qld a few months ago towing my camper (1300 kgs) and got 9.6 L/100 at 95 km/h . Have done 920kms to tank full before very happy with my economy.

cheers mark

scarry
19th May 2008, 06:26 PM
hi

glad iam not the only one that gets less than 10l/100ks.............iwas starting to think something was wrong with the car......

u know landys

hey baz dont forget to unhook the camper & dont go over 95ks ;) :wasntme:

cheers paul

Ricey
11th June 2008, 08:43 PM
Me too Scarry, I just did a trip down to the Otways & got 900 kays out of the 1st tank doing around 95kph. I didn't trickle the fill up & it took 80 ltr's on the 1st click so in reality it would be worse than the 8.8 litres per 100klm I thought I achieved. Either way, it was an economical & easy drive. Coming back at 110kph was a different story!