PDA

View Full Version : Info if installing own spot/driving lights

Brick
17th May 2008, 11:18 PM
Evening all,

Finished wiring in my spot lights today and thought I would post some info that may be useful for anyone else planning to do the same. This only relates if not using the factory wiring loom.

If using a loom supplied with the lights (eg includes relay, fuse and switch) or building your own, then your pick up for the high beam wire to run to the switch is the blue/black (right headlight) or the blue/grey (left headlight). These are also known as pin 10 (thanks to Disco3.uk).

I used the factory switch kit, which includes the facia and switch. Pins 1 and 4 are the pins to connect the wires that activate the relay to. These are fairly thin pins so I soldered my wires rather than using a connector.

The negative connection on the battery does not allow for the connection of the wires from the lights due to the way the lead is secured, so ended up finding a good earth which seems to do the trick.

End result was all working fine only when on high beam as required by the law makers. The instructions for installing the factory loom came with the switch kit, and looks a lot more complicated than an aftermarket loom.

Cheers.

Tote
19th May 2008, 06:54 AM
Where did you source the factory switch kit? and do you have a part number?
Regards,
Tote

Brick
20th May 2008, 09:11 PM
Tote,

Ordered through local dealer. Had the switch in stock but had to wait a couple of days for the assembly kit. Cost was $100.88 including GST. Part numbers are:

switch kit - RO-VUB502860
assembly kit - RO-XKB500080
instructions - VUB502850

The switch kit is just the switch. The assembly kit includes the templates for cutting the dash, facia, mounting bracket, cable ties, screws, and relay. Only used the templates, mounting bracket, screws and facia.

Cheers.

WA Darryl
28th July 2008, 07:36 AM
Hi, Thanks for the info, as I just bought a set of driving lights myself. I have just a few questions, How do you run the wires to the dash switch? and, Do you have a photo of the dash switch? It must be quite special for a $100, when I can buy a generic switch from Jaycar for about $5. I would just like to see it because I do have a thing for genuine fittings. Thanks.

Brick
18th August 2008, 09:21 PM
WA Darryl,

As with most things any OEM part seems expensive. Decided to use the LR part instead of the switch supplied with the loom as it looks a lot nicer then the mouse style one (see photo).

If you remove the cover over the brake master cylinder, you will see a hole in the firewall where the clutch rod goes for the manual gearbox. I just placed a small slit in the rubber grommet and fed the wires through. Not sure how you will go if you have a manual.

Tote
27th October 2008, 11:25 AM
Just thought I'd add how I did mine, I made an angle bracket that bolts on the two screws that secure the coolant bottle support and fitted the relays to that. I haven't wired in a switch, just took the feed from the passengers side headlight loom for the relays and ran a supply to the relays from the + battery terminal.
Thanks for the wiring colour codes in the posts above.
Regards,
Tote

phasmoides
9th November 2008, 10:33 PM
Hi
I used a spare IPF loom and switch set I had used in my old D2. Triggered by the Black and Blue high beam wire.

Works well but was a pain to fit though. The only available entry to the cabin was via the single grommet which also had the UHF and phone antennae, power lead to power the phone charger, Parrot Bluetooth stuff, UHF and then to find room for the loom switch was a little testing.

Peter_OZ
19th March 2009, 04:00 PM
We have dealer fitted LR spotties on our 07 TDV6 D3. Must say I am very unimpressed with them. Light output is very poor and quite "yellow" in colour which looks to me like low voltage at the globes.

Have not hooked a DMM to measure the voltage though.

I would think that the dealer would have used a relay to rive off the battery etc but not sure.

anyone else have these fitted adn what are your thoughts?

Was thinking of rewiting them with heavier guage loom and use the wire to them to trigger a relay that goes direct to the battery. Either that or replace the insert or the whole bloody things.

cheers
Peter

Gaviatrix
16th March 2011, 05:44 PM
Tote,

Ordered through local dealer. Had the switch in stock but had to wait a couple of days for the assembly kit. Cost was $100.88 including GST. Part numbers are:

switch kit - RO-VUB502860
assembly kit - RO-XKB500080
instructions - VUB502850

The switch kit is just the switch. The assembly kit includes the templates for cutting the dash, facia, mounting bracket, cable ties, screws, and relay. Only used the templates, mounting bracket, screws and facia.

Cheers.

I was searching the site to find out about fitting a pair of spotties to my D3 and found this thread. Pleased to find the OEM switch info/picture in Brick's posts, I went to order the switch kit per the part numbers above and had a heck of a shock when I got the quote (from Ducksworth in the UK) for 258.75 pounds for the "instructions" (last part no. above). Turns out that part no. is for the whole LR OEM spot light kit! So if anyone else just wants the very neat OEM switch, just order the first two items - total cost 36.66 pounds.

Cheers, Gaviatrix

perkj
24th January 2012, 10:05 AM
Over the weekend I fitted the Factory Lr3 2nd driving light switch to my IPF 960 driving lights based on seeing this thread. I figured I'd post a quick How-To since it took me quite a while to figure out the 5 pins coming out for the switch in order to get everything to work (i.e. driving lights on/off, lighting of the switch with dimming, and the orange light illumination when the switch is on) since I wasn't able to find the factory wire diagram for the new switch itself.

Below is the wire diagram to make it super simple to wire everything up. (DISCLAIMER: this wire diagram worked on my North American 2008 LR3 HSE, I assume it should work on all LR3s per the Factory wiring diagram I referenced, but you assume all risk if you choose to give it a go):

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/01/413.jpg

Pics of the install:
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/01/414.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/01/415.jpg

NavyDiver
24th January 2012, 02:18 PM
We have dealer fitted LR spotties on our 07 TDV6 D3. Must say I am very unimpressed with them. Light output is very poor and quite "yellow" in colour which looks to me like low voltage at the globes.

Have not hooked a DMM to measure the voltage though.

I would think that the dealer would have used a relay to rive off the battery etc but not sure.

anyone else have these fitted adn what are your thoughts?

Was thinking of rewiting them with heavier guage loom and use the wire to them to trigger a relay that goes direct to the battery. Either that or replace the insert or the whole bloody things.

cheers
Peter
Hi Peter, get your voltage and wire checked. My LED light bar was wired up by a crew using 4mm wire which was found to be a lot less than promised. The fuse to the light from my aux battery fried. Replaced fuse and had a nice auto sparky look it over. He rewired the lot with real 4mm wire. I am sure the people ripped off with really poor wire was not the first installer but I was not going to leave it in my truck to start a fire. The fuse was burnt casued directly by the under-rated wire.\ the new fuse was too hot before we changed the wire over.

The LED light bar mounted on my roof rack does not draw much power for the amount of light and size.

discotwinturbo
2nd April 2012, 08:39 PM
Evening all,
If using a loom supplied with the lights (eg includes relay, fuse and switch) or building your own, then your pick up for the high beam wire to run to the switch is the blue/black (right headlight) or the blue/grey (left headlight). These are also known as pin 10 (thanks to Disco3.uk).

Cheers.

I am about the fit an led light bar to my d4 with bi xenons.

I have downloaded the topix wiring diagram.......it's looking fairly difficult to understand.

Does anyone know if these are the same colours for the d4 with bi xenons ?

Looking at the wiring diagram it appears that a shutter is used to make the lights brighter as opposed to a traditional filament or extra light. So just wondering which wire is the actual trigger ?

Ay help would be appreciated as this thread is all that I can find about installation of spot lights.

Brett....

stuarth44
12th March 2021, 10:57 AM
Would appreciate advice removing the rotary switch, as i,m fitting spotlights
Thanks

Tombie
12th March 2021, 11:20 AM
I am about the fit an led light bar to my d4 with bi xenons.

I have downloaded the topix wiring diagram.......it's looking fairly difficult to understand.

Does anyone know if these are the same colours for the d4 with bi xenons ?

Looking at the wiring diagram it appears that a shutter is used to make the lights brighter as opposed to a traditional filament or extra light. So just wondering which wire is the actual trigger ?

Ay help would be appreciated as this thread is all that I can find about installation of spot lights.

Brett....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210312/17ac2db3d494569ecc0899c9a7c1dbdf.png

The wire to the motor is what you want to tap into. (-10)

stuarth44
12th March 2021, 03:34 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210312/17ac2db3d494569ecc0899c9a7c1dbdf.png

The wire to the motor is what you want to tap into. (-10)
or tap wire 4 0n light stalk 6 is flash
bit hard at light as bullbar blocks headlight from coming ot

Tombie
12th March 2021, 08:51 PM
or tap wire 4 0n light stalk 6 is flash
bit hard at light as bullbar blocks headlight from coming ot

Unplug and do it from inside engine bay.

Apart from a broken light it never needs to come completely out!

stuarth44
13th March 2021, 04:40 PM
my neighbour said a light stalk, WRONG after lkg, they are just .25mm signal wires
got job done on L/H light, brilliant light power
thanks for interest, next up winch, and canvas seat covers
i went got another set of lights Aldi for son who does not yet have a 4x4

Tombie
13th March 2021, 05:18 PM
my neighbour said a light stalk, WRONG after lkg, they are just .25mm signal wires
got job done on L/H light, brilliant light power
thanks for interest, next up winch, and canvas seat covers
i went got another set of lights Aldi for son who does not yet have a 4x4

Have a look at “the wetseat” for seat covers.
I have them and compared to canvas in my work LVs they’re far superior.

W&KO
13th March 2021, 05:25 PM

Neoprene or
Duratex

Tombie
13th March 2021, 05:28 PM
Neoprene or
Duratex

I believe Neoprene.

stuarth44
13th March 2021, 08:03 PM

pity already ordered, but what do you think of this
by synthetic they mean either SPECTRA OR KEVLAR both of which I used in big sailboats
X-BULL Electric Winch 12V 12000LBS Synthetic Rope 26M Wireless Remote 4WD 4x4 605826055731 | eBay (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/X-BULL-Electric-Winch-12V-12000LBS-Synthetic-Rope-26M-Wireless-Remote-4WD-4x4/142455205674?epid=26005985682&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item212afdef2a:g:KukAAOSwSJpf-q3m&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%252 Fn%252BzU5L90Z278x5ickk7d4nremBkvNKtcC0ZwqXDB9c659 %252BMJsZ2DWlUVDOkVsWQxRvFdvr2dU7X1vjtpKbp%252FUW7 WhPh5wkZRQJlN9%252BcQDZexIv89biLSkxisfIKOEbTH1PHGQ XkTeKi6CypDCIx2ANevvIXmmKIsOYZev4Ts7moMfDnk27iwVqt vuLeLg0ghG%252BaqmynhALlN9HxjSUdvLVigKtrlhq104r4TU JA8%252Bz0S3ludjZxfTKyCL6R0jKo4n8EcTcfboWHch2vEW7T OJ%252BKN%252FDZqpHez3GUsUQ3PhpZh2Uy5Z41C7SmNBxMYL rtI7dODYN7Kjeil2Cm8QXkBpry%252B3F5kQ%252FF8hqqcZW8 e4J0ZSnHT65%252Fxyp7wgX9h4Ymu65k4SmSIPjfSIJ811K87t GvmbUDlSKuaClhbj0CUR5iG16VQoSfCO4MEVvj%252FgswXw8Y O9wgrZ3D4PnzYw1yb1WgUspWnTxfGMZNTvDKvpEd863ywRRg2G VNOoItu2YtxIvIUAN0oUlhrRwD9uVg1A05%252BZVzDAuoLx9S Bl%252BKxI%252BiQaFuKILQB1Z7prIs6xDEy5Dg0O%252FNoL eA%252BNoDo2KUb%252FOL0qgv1vChBXAYucL%252Bpqur5KZy 5ppqXWRe%252BLwzH9H2eiHuwt6pRncAs3gxSypFDcP29YQakm Pv6uEZozrS8%252F9tanoh2BtcBK0nFhHz7BIMTPgiYU1V7TSD uSm6tKrZQKC78Zle%252FnUXqeE2qFUSsqS1Xq09%252FofghG XrYb3GOhJ9%252FkdNWhSkO7h6q70D67symxuIgj3vYgteJuoG 6sOtg%253D%253D%7Ccksum%3A142455205674d01ae5084347 4fcd8cc8d603fc2674ee%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334 524)

Tombie
13th March 2021, 08:43 PM
Looks ok. At first glance.
Not likely to be the best quality and I’d check the grease etc if you did go ahead.

Your vehicle is heavy. You want something that works.