PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Jedimastermat
18th May 2008, 09:39 AM
Hello AULRO

Newbie here. Bought 99 D2 TD5 auto 7 seater 2 weeks ago. OK its white but we do what we have to do. got 850km off 85L for first tank. so stoked compared to our Pathy. Not new to 4WD but new to LR and diesels. like most newbies have some dumb questions that once i get out of the system ill feel better and can move on. Figure newbies get one go at being dumb. happy to acknowledge know nothing at moment

1) SLS. Does the system "release" when the ignition is turned off. Got crap scared out of me second day. come out and there is new toy at funny angle with two shocks up and two down (opposite sides). Started her up and the D2 also and all was good. should all four go down, should all four stay pressurised. never had vehicle with system so know stuff all but want to learn. How do they go with a lift was thinking 2".
2) alarms and stuff. Can they be programmed? where?, how?
eg leave lights on, key in ignition, alarm sounds, thats good.
leave key in ignition, open dirver door, no alarm. thats bad as i tend to close doors with keys in ignition and forget them.
Same with seatbelt no alarm or dash light when no seat belt on and ignition on.
3) is the cassette/radio 2 DIN? looks squeezie. Will be pulling it out and replacing with tft/DVD/GPS/TV like other car. Any wiring tricks? didnt come with security code so once she comes out she aint going back in.
4) how does one get the headlight washers to work. read manual and be stuffed if I can get it to work.
5) was ACE std with these models, how do you know you have or havent got it. again never had a vehicle with it so dont know
6) read a couple of posts re chipping them. was thinking of that myself, does it work.
7) how easy are they to get second battery in and wire toys. Have a bad habit according to Chancelor of Exchequer of pulling dashes apart to put in radios and inverters and amps and tvs and solar panels and compressors (pathy still has no glovebox)
8) due for 140K service anything I should be asking for. No wont ask for new spark plugs, im a newbie but not that newbie
9) hill decent. want to put front and rear lockers in her. is it a case of one or the other or can both co exist. never had hill decent either so dont know.

think that should keep me in trouble for a bit but am looking to put decent rubber on her first (sold with baldies basically-hate buying cars) then BB and winch, driving lights, lockers and definitely some side sliders. we dont go rock hopping but we do try to use the vehicle to their full capability.

thanks heaps in advance for the help
best regards
Mat

Pedro_The_Swift
18th May 2008, 10:22 AM
Welcome to AULRO.COM Mat
1. SLS only works on the rear. (though I have seen a 4airbag D2) no,, it doesnt release,, It would seem you have a leak on one side. 10 years seems to be the life of the genuine bags. yes you can lift it.
2. cant lock car without the keys. seatbelt icon on dash untill clipped in.
3.single din will fit.
4.washers only work when headlights are on,, and if its own pump works ;)
5.ACE was an option,, under the front guards (pass side?)
you'll see the hyd ram. Also double reseviour under bonnet.
6.Chips can do a little or a lot! beware though,, you should upgrade intercooler and then an auto rebuild is on the cards.
7.pass
8.should ask for history of previous servicing!
check oil pickup bolt, check wiring harness for oil, others will add--
9.HDC works off the ABS system and works downhill--- lockers work uphill,, maybe you meant traction control? Does it have a working
Centre Diff Lock?