PDA

View Full Version : strange mis

wells
20th May 2008, 04:46 AM
Howdy all . Comming home from Kanangra Boyde NP on the weekend the rover gave a mis ,went another hundred yards and stopped dead . got out opened the bonnet ,all looked good ,hit the key fired up as normal and drove the 2 hundred km home without any worries . any thoughts on what this could be . and yes it was dam cold but its a great spot over there ! well worth a trip to see.

mike 90 RR
24th May 2008, 10:41 PM
Unsure of your model year .. For a 1990 ... If it has electronic Dizzy, then it could be the black box screwed to the side of the dizzy, which is called a "Amplifier" which sends a pulse reading to the coil. When they get old, this is the first signal they give you that it's gonna stop working. If it does it again, get it checked out

wells
26th May 2008, 05:00 AM
ok thanks Mike , ill try and find a way to have it checked or i may just replace it . dont want it to strand me some place later on .i have just fitted a set of thermo fans from an AU falcon , they work a treat and are real easy to fit . hope i have not give it a knock while i was fitting them .

Bigbjorn
26th May 2008, 07:49 AM
From the description this could have been a classic electronic "first failure". If so, it will happen again and again. The period between failures will become shorter and the recovery or cool down time will become longer. Eventually total failure results. Hard to diagnose as the bloody thing is working again when you get to a workshop or get home and get some instrumentation hooked up.

These failures are the reason I now drive a County-Isuzu. No electronics!!!!

mike 90 RR
26th May 2008, 09:36 AM
From the description this could have been a classic electronic "first failure". If so, it will happen again and again. The period between failures will become shorter and the recovery or cool down time will become longer. Eventually total failure results. Hard to diagnose as the bloody thing is working again when you get to a workshop or get home and get some instrumentation hooked up.

These failures are the reason I now drive a County-Isuzu. No electronics!!!!

So you've been there?? :angel: I hear you :)

wells
27th May 2008, 06:19 AM
mmmm that sounds good , anyway ill fix it as it happens i suppose , im thinking of moving the ignition amplifier to a better position , has any one done this and if so what involved ?

mike 90 RR
27th May 2008, 09:37 AM
mmmm that sounds good , anyway ill fix it as it happens i suppose , im thinking of moving the ignition amplifier to a better position , has any one done this and if so what involved ?

Ive done it & easy to do ... Have to bolt it (amplifier) to a heat sink ... but i ended up removing the "fix" & put it back where it was... The "K.I.S.S" method applies here

Just buy a new amplifier ... and install it when it plays up again (as Brain posted ... Hard to test when they work again)
The old one was fine for how many k's??? ... so the new one will go the same distance

Overheated engines kill them, so if your car runs "Hot", well then it's time to clean (rod) the radiator

When fitting the Amplifier, install "electrical grease" to the plug to keep water out (if you do water crossings)

Also the new Amp's have a 3 pin electric fitting & yours is most probably a 2 pin electric plug ....so ask "what goes where" at the parts counter / and make sure you have "Heat sink grease" in the "Amp kit" for rebolting the Amp to the Dizzy

I have 2 spare Amp's in my kit ... 1 for me and 1 for the poor sod i will meet (one day) in the middle of no-where ;)

wells
27th May 2008, 10:21 AM
thanks Mike , yes your right . she has 215000 ks on the clock ,ill be happy if it does another 215000 . i have a price on a new one ,$300 sound expencive to me but like you say when it stops you stop . i will also be doing the same as you . just leave it on the disy. the car over heated a while back but has had new heads ,rad. thermos , the whole bit and runs really good now .

mike 90 RR
27th May 2008, 12:43 PM
have a price on a new one ,$300 sound expensive to me

I would ring another company for the price of the Amp BIG TIME / Thats not wat i paid :o

And "keep the old one" in your tool box in car, emergency, cause it could help some else get out of the bush

wells
27th May 2008, 01:12 PM
just goes to show , you got to keep an eye on them .thanks for your help Mike