PDA

View Full Version : Any problems with 2003 Rangy HSE

cinders
24th May 2008, 05:25 PM
Hi all, my mate is thinking of upgrading from his 84 Bronco to an 03 HSE. Now for the obvious pro's in this, are there any con's. I don't really know much about the newer Range Rover, so is there anything I can tell him to look out for that might be a problem down the track. I think it's done about 160000 or so. Cheers

Scouse
28th May 2008, 09:25 AM
The Td6 is the pick of the LM Range Rovers. IMO, they're much nicer to drive than the peaky 4.4 V8.
There's a couple of problems to look out for:

The transmissions are sealed for life. As they're a heavy car, the auto has to do a lot of work & they don't seem to like a lot of heat. Make sure the oil cooler is nice & clean. Check the auto oil if possible (no dipstick though) to see if it's nice & clean.

The front diffs are also an issue but LR will taking action on these soon so that will be looked after (even if there isn't a problem).

The trim can look tatty with age but that's just cosmetic.

spudboy
28th May 2008, 04:12 PM
I have an '03 Diesel. Absolutely lovely engine, with brilliant economy. Build quality is good, but not as good as the 07/08 models.

See if it is still under genuine LR warranty. Quite a few had an optional 2 year warranty (bought at time of purchase) and this can be very useful.

My warranty is running out in November, so I have just had it in to get a new fuel gauge sender which occasionally reads half of what the real fuel level was, and I have had the in-dash console computer thingy replaced because of missing pixels. They also got me new door handles because the finish was flaking off. Nothing too major, and you probably wouldn't bother fixing them if it was coming out of your own pocket.

Main issue reported as Scouse mentioned is the front diff. Do a search and you will find the stories. LR will replace, sometimes even out of warranty.

HTH
David

DRanged
28th May 2008, 09:24 PM
We are starting to look at these as well and as others have mentioned the Auto and the front diff seem to be the bad points. If you are getting it from a non LR dealer get the VIN and get LR to do a search and get the warranty repair history. Could come in usefull.

Good luck

Justin

adm333
28th May 2008, 10:15 PM
Main problem is......its out of my price range at the moment !

p38arover
29th May 2008, 12:11 AM
Main problem is......its out of my price range at the moment !

Same here - especially after doing an engine replacement on my P38A.

I can repair the P38A at home - dunno if I can with an LM.

spudboy
29th May 2008, 02:17 PM
They are becoming quite reasonable, for Mid to high $50's which puts them in the same territory as an (admittedly newer) Discovery 3. A lot of car for your money, and most haven't seen anything other than bitumen.

cinders
29th May 2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll pass that on. It's good to know even the flash ones have a crap front diff!

Chilly
29th May 2008, 09:48 PM
Hi,

Just been looking on a Range Rover Forum. On there they are stated that Land Rover UK and USA are going to recall early models and replace the diffs with an upgrade. Something like on the 06 model. I dont know if they are doing it here.

Scouse
30th May 2008, 07:46 AM
Hi,

Just been looking on a Range Rover Forum. On there they are stated that Land Rover UK and USA are going to recall early models and replace the diffs with an upgrade. Something like on the 06 model. I dont know if they are doing it here.I can't say too much other than watch for a letter in your mail box (if you own one of these beasties).