PDA

View Full Version : TD5 injector wiring loom question

mousie
27th May 2008, 04:55 PM
Hi folks, week had the disco 2000 TD5 auto for just over a week now and yes after filling up the tank, the car failed to start!

Finally it decided to start after about an hour of trying and next day I check the injector plug at the front of the block just under the rocker and sure enough, just a smidge of oil, well I cleaned it out and the difference in smooth delivery and get up an go proved that I need a new one.

However, is the failure just limited to the connector on the injection side as from the pics from another kind member it seems once the loom enters the engine area, its back to bare wires and then to individual plugs.

So is the failure area just the main plug entering the engine proper or both at the individual injectors (slip on conectors) and main plug of this engine harness.

Any advice appreciated, Geoff

BigJon
27th May 2008, 06:04 PM
Geoff,

Try using the search function in the toolbar above.
There is loads of information on the wiring loom only a few key strokes away.

Jojo
28th May 2008, 03:02 PM
You will have to replace the internal harness section, which means the valve cover has to come off. You better replace the valve cover gasket at the same time. The external part of the wiring loom to the ECU will still contain some oil which will seep out eventually over the next few weeks. Flush it with some cleaner and dry it out every now and then. Maybe even the ECU-box need to be cleaned internally. This should solve your problem.
Good luck!

Cheers
Johannes

mousie
28th May 2008, 06:35 PM
Johannes

Thankyou for the info and I have spent several hours on searching this site and a quick search on my 'mousie' will reveal I fault find and offer fixes online to stop people wasting money. My best work some 18 months ago was a work around for the dell LCD monitor (17 and 19's that fail after 12 months)with a new bypass using 4 x TIP41's for under a dollar and posted much to the delight of many.

My current project is looking at the Magna fuel sender unit and the poor quality carbon track (1 cent at most) yet the magna forum fork out 100 dollars for a replacement regulary over a design fault that mitsubishi have known about for 4 years but will not use an alternative blend of carbon on the circuit board in the fuel tank. Yes, Toowong Mitsu sell (5) per month so its a good business once you add up all the dealers.

I'm not a diesel guru and probably will never be but electronics is my go. Given I'm now the owner of the Td5 as the second disco in the family, I just wanted to clarify if it was actually known via experience here that the breakdown occurs at the single injector point on wire loom side or at main point only. Once I get a replacement install, I'll work out the best work around and post the pics for all. Already pulled off the ecu cover to look at all the goodies and will install the header onboard so I can use either a non flash or eeprom. Just need to take the label off or find the eeprom model no to see if I can source a blank.

Geoff

Basically I can see so far the weakness would be the connector style 4/5 female pressure point on the pin and the amount of current used because this would cause a slow fouling of the circuit over time. Connections can easily exist in oil and fuel but it depends on materials. Easy to find out, just put a controlled current through an oiled plug and watch for the change in resist/cap/inductance. If however this happens at the single injectors, then replacement becomes the easier option.

Leave this with me for until I get a new loom and if works out then I will ask for a sticky with pics i

mousie
31st May 2008, 02:24 PM
Hi all, I had a rainy day and developed the solution and placed in the Good Oil Section so if you need to save dollars and fix your loom for good, this will be the best bet.