PDA

View Full Version : Defender owners with TROUTBECK diff guards please read

DirtyDawg
31st May 2008, 11:57 AM
Hi Gents,
a while ago whilst doing some rock/mud climbing I ripped off my front diff protector whilst reversing it caught on the welded piece that protects the bottom of the front diff.
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2008/05/12.jpg

Well I recently had it welded back on but with a mod..I had it flipped over and a 30mm weld on the innerside to prevent it ever doing it again.
A simple mod to save a drama.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2008/05/13.jpg

Sprint
31st May 2008, 12:05 PM
silly question, but hows that gonna stop it getting ripped off should the original situation ever happen again?

EchiDna
31st May 2008, 01:20 PM
I love the design, but surely making it a complete cover would be better and prevent the "plough effect" when reversing? might cause a bit of heat build up, but otherwise would give more complete protection wouldn't it?

sclarke
31st May 2008, 06:43 PM
No way, it failed..... Ha Ha.....

Contact him..... and watch the Fur fly when you tell him

mcrover
31st May 2008, 06:51 PM
The only problem with strengthening a part like that is that if you catch it again, instead of just ripping off the cover you will rip the whole protector off or at least bend it all out of shape.

I doubt it will break again though unless caught on something big.

DirtyDawg
1st June 2008, 08:37 AM
silly question, but hows that gonna stop it getting ripped off should the original situation ever happen again?

Your right , but I will humor you anyway..the fillet weld on the inside will prevent the cap from being pulled in the opposite direction....;)

DirtyDawg
1st June 2008, 08:41 AM
I love the design, but surely making it a complete cover would be better and prevent the "plough effect" when reversing? might cause a bit of heat build up, but otherwise would give more complete protection wouldn't it?

As a complete cover it would hang too low and become more of a bulldozer blade than a protector...

The only problem I encounter is if on standard tyre sizes in mud it becomes a suction plate.But the pros out way the cons as it protects everything from the radius arms and is 8mm plate so you can jack on it anywhere in confidence.

Yeh Clarkie I can imagine what he would be like but a good bit of kit regardless of my overzealous driving techniques..:D:D

vnx205
1st June 2008, 11:54 AM

The only problem with strengthening a part like that is that if you catch it again, instead of just ripping off the cover you will rip the whole protector off or at least bend it all out of shape.

I doubt it will break again though unless caught on something big.

As a complete cover it would hang too low and become more of a bulldozer blade than a protector...

The only problem I encounter is if on standard tyre sizes in mud it becomes a suction plate.But the pros out way the cons as it protects everything from the radius arms and is 8mm plate so you can jack on it anywhere in confidence.

Yeh Clarkie I can imagine what he would be like but a good bit of kit regardless of my overzealous driving techniques..:D:D
Why not a compromise modification that I think would satisfy all the concerns?
A couple of strong narrow ribs, brackets or supports on the back would strengthen it, but more importantly would act as skids to allow it to ride over most rocks in reverse. There would be no heat build-up and very little chance of it catching and ripping the whole lot off.

Sounds good in theory doesn't it?:)

dullbird
1st June 2008, 05:21 PM
No way, it failed..... Ha Ha.....

Contact him..... and watch the Fur fly when you tell him

do you know the guy that makes them clarkie???