PDA

View Full Version : OzPig meets kangaroo steaks

incisor
2nd June 2008, 01:39 PM
The OZpig stove i bought at cooma got a workout a couple of weekends ago on my back verandah. I use it pretty regularly.

cooked a few kangaroo steaks with some eggs, tomato and onions..

great way to keep warm and end up with a good feed :P

the OZpig is just the right size for a small verandah or undercover area. provides a heap of heat and is great to cook on when you get the urge.

i use hardwood or heat beads depending on what is at hand... a couple of pine cones gets either going really well.

i use a mid size camp oven or fry pan to cook on as they are just a nice fit for the ring on top of the pig.

just use the hinged front door to manage the heat required to do the job..

next cookout will be goat loin chops, hopefully on the weekend all going well :P

Disco_owner
2nd June 2008, 02:32 PM
I saw the same couple who were selling Ozpig at Showground in cooma again at Rosehill camping and 4wding show , had a long chat with them, I was trying to convice myself to buy one but didn't , reason being is I'd like to take them with me on trips but they are rather heavy to log around.

incisor
2nd June 2008, 02:40 PM
they come in their own carry bag.. cant say i have had a problem with it... but they are over 20kg tho i would think...

Outlaw
2nd June 2008, 03:03 PM
Brilliant work Dave... i've only unpacked and set mine up... haven't gotten around to firing it up as yet.

Will do once the weather picks up :D

Hymie
2nd June 2008, 05:51 PM
Mate, those things look awesome!!
How much?

incisor
2nd June 2008, 06:28 PM
i got mine for a shade over 200 with some extras thrown in. make great heaters as well as stoves....

missus thinks i am nuts, but i sit out there on the back verandah of a saturday night, cook my dinner and have a bottle of red or a stubby or two and simply unwind......

2nd June 2008, 08:20 PM
Dave,
had mine 4 a little over a year now & used it heaps.
It will keep a couple warm if u stay close 2 it but u`d have 2 laugh at the promo shot of a large group sitting around it, its just not gunna happen:(.
I used it a few W`ends ago camping with the temp around zero:eek: & when its that cold u need 2 chop the wood up fine & keep feeding it until u get a decent fire going, then u can start feeding in bigger logs from the top & even start 2 balance them up against the chimney:angel:. I also cheat with a few heatbeads. At the end of the day its only a 9kg gas bottle & u can only get so much fuel in there.
I find transportation no probs as everything stores in the main unit including the heatbeads & some kindling.I ended up drilling 50mm holes in the sides & now it draws much better;). All up 7.5-8/10:)
Cheers Dean.