PDA

View Full Version : Ducky's "New Meccano Set" SMA 053

Lotz-A-Landies
3rd June 2008, 09:27 AM
SMA053's Original Post Location (http://www.aulro.com/afvb/series-i-land-rover-enthusiasts-section/46802-trans-tasman-series-1-forum.html#post756699)Hi Everyone, jst want to say hello to all the series 1 people. Just picked up
my new meccano set, alias series 1, 80inch, 1953 soft top, chassis number
36660852, so, RHD, export, CKD, etc. Supposed to be ex SMA, (Dad was the Chief Engineer, had a series 1 as his "work car" when we were at Cabramurra, I remember going to school in it. It is actually pretty good, quite straight, all instuments work, motor spins over "on the button" and the lights work. No interior, but there was not a lot there to start with! Hope to have it running in the next couple of weeks so I can check the gearbox, transfer case etc.
Looking forward to keeping you all up to date,
Regards. Ducky (SMA053)

Lotz-A-Landies
3rd June 2008, 10:02 AM
Hi Everyone, jst want to say hello to all the series 1 people. Just picked up
my new meccano set, alias series 1, 80inch, 1953 soft top, chassis number
36660852, so, RHD, export, CKD, etc. Supposed to be ex SMA, ...
...Looking forward to keeping you all up to date,
Regards. Ducky (SMA053)
Welcome Ducky.

It must have been a great life growing up on the Snowy Scheme at Cabramurra?

I have been there several times competing for the Cabramurra Tour Cross Country Ski race and always enjoyed seeing the pics of Cabra during the construction phase of the scheme.

Are you going to restore the '53 to it's SMHEC livery? You may wish to contact Alex Moreton in Sydney, he has reproduced the SMHEC door decal of the late 1950's era for his ex-SMA LR Fire Engine (Firefly).

Just one thing, was your vehicle always a soft top? I thought that by 1953 the SMAHEC were routinely ordering the Land Rovers with the hard tops?

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2015/01/570.jpg
Image 11258079 National Archives of Australia - Tumut Ponds Campsite 1952

Diana