PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium Upper Tailgate

Grimace
10th June 2008, 06:19 PM
I am looking for a replacement upper tail gate and am interested in the aluminum units. I just can't seem to find any solid info or supplier.

So far all i can find is the following;
tailgate (http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/tailgate.htm)

It mentions that maxi drive used to make a unit? anyone know any more about this, obviously maxi drive is no longer, so I am probably not going to get a result following that path but thought it doesn't hurt to ask.

Cheers
Grimace

strange_rover1
10th June 2008, 08:03 PM
Check out www.paddockspares.com (http://www.paddockspares.com) they may have em or look in LROI or LRM magazines, I am sure I recently saw an ad for the Ally tailgate uppers.
Shano

Lotz-A-Landies
10th June 2008, 08:49 PM
I am looking for a replacement upper tail gate and am interested in the aluminum units. I just can't seem to find any solid info or supplier.

So far all i can find is the following;
tailgate (http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/tailgate.htm)

It mentions that maxi drive used to make a unit? anyone know any more about this, obviously maxi drive is no longer, so I am probably not going to get a result following that path but thought it doesn't hurt to ask.

Cheers
Grimace
Grimace

Yes you're correct they were a Maxi-Drive product, so not being made by Mal Story. Some of the Maxi products were farmed out to other manufacturers, so it may be worthwhile giving Hi-Tough a call to see if they know where / whom.

The fall back would be to do the ring around, to see about remaining stock or second hand. I got my last one from Graeme Cooper and some friends recently found out the tailgate on their 1974 restoration is wearing a Maxi alloy one so the final search would be the RR wreckers.

Diana

GuyG
10th June 2008, 08:49 PM
Hey Grimace, I have one that I bought from MR Automotive which was supplied by Maxidrive, could always check to see if they have any in stock. Simo at the sunny coast had one for sale a while back.

So how did the drive back go:)?

Grimace
11th June 2008, 06:52 AM
So how did the drive back go:)?

Was a nice drive, car has plenty of power up top, but not enough down low (still more then my other rangies thou)!

I should have asked greame cooper about it while I was there :mad: silly me never think of stuff at the right times.

Will start the call around today, actually might be speaking to simo soon so will ask him about his one aswell.

Cheers

Rangier Rover
11th June 2008, 07:11 AM
Was a nice drive, car has plenty of power up top, but not enough down low (still more then my other rangies thou)!

I should have asked greame cooper about it while I was there :mad: silly me never think of stuff at the right times.

Will start the call around today, actually might be speaking to simo soon so will ask him about his one aswell.

Cheers Stick a blower on it:p;).
I got my last Alu Tail gate from All Four X4 (0249571117)Kotara Newcastle. They $$$ though:o.

Cheers Tony

Rainbird
13th June 2008, 05:26 AM
I've just bought an ally one from paddocks (http://www.paddockspares.com) which came with all the bits required for attaching the seals, but needed the lock mechanism transferred. Fitted on a treat. Had to put a radio aerial on as it's not built into the tailgate, but that's preferable to forking out another £200 for a genuine one!

They charged £180 + VAT (17.5% in the UK) and postage was free to the UK. The only problem for you is that Oz is a bit far away and the postage may be prohibitive. May be worth a look as it's a hellava lot better than the piece of Swiss cheese I took off mine.

I had thought about getting a second hand steel one, but as the truck's a long term proposition, I thought the extra cost was worth not having to replace the "new" one with another when it rusts through in a few years

strange_rover1
13th June 2008, 05:14 PM
Check on ebay, saw one on there yesterday, near new condition. Sorry didnt get the link.
Shano

Garfy
15th June 2008, 05:48 AM
Try simmonites.com in the UK saw them in kit for 169. Pounds + VAT (GST) which they shouldn't charge for export . My guess would be around $400 with postage . Let us know if you get one am toying with the idea myself .
Garfy

Grimace
16th June 2008, 06:17 AM
Ok not including the beay item i have exhausted all local avenues with no luck.

Garty I will let you know how it pans out with the UK unit and maybe we could save on shipping if two units are ordered.

Cheers for all the links/advice so far guys much appreciated!

EDIT: ignore all my text above, refer to next post :D

Grimace
16th June 2008, 07:16 AM
Well what a suprise, I just got off the phone with MR Automotive, they found a single lonely unit hiding in the workshop.
Being delivered today :) Grimace is a happy chappy!

Must say I am very please with the service from these guys. Arms Up for MR Automotive.

LOVEMYRANGIE
3rd July 2008, 05:48 PM
These are the guys that make them. I looked into it, but have just found a 2nd hand shweeeet one off an '89ish rollover to go on my '93. Only thing is this one doesnt have high brake light and mine does.... oh well, for $200 and not a spot of rust in it......:p

Range Rover Tailgates - Home (http://rangerovertailgates.com//component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/)