PDA

View Full Version : Project 89 Rangie Major problems found :( keep or junk

RaZz0R
13th June 2008, 01:54 PM
Well - as alot of you know I have a Rangie & it was sitting for a fair while till I finally decided to do something with it.

The history of the car seemed ok & my old man had it before & said it was tip top. The old man being a interstate truckie & mech minded assured me it would be ok sitting for a while as well.
I knew there were leaks - I expected that, I also expected that there was going to be an issue with the power steering....
Jamie called me this morning, before 12pm... I knew something was up.

In short - the coolant has turned acidy. Not sure how bad but Jamie was making it out to junk the thing. :( of course I jumped in my house mates car & went straight over to see WTF was going on. '

IN short the following has been found.

1. Corrosion along coolant pipes (Top of engine) - leading to the water pump.
2. Coolant leak somewhere at the back of the engine - could be welsh plugs?
3. Torque Converter is leaking (The seal - so engine out)
4. Engine mounts are cracked (Mount rubbers)
5. Power steering box is leaking pretty bad - Jamie said about 800 ~ 1000 for this :( ****!
6. Some rust was found... in the floor! maybe plate to fix? :(
7. NFI how - but the fuel tank is leaking slow as well.

This aint even touching the diffs. The thing drives well, starts well,shifts gears well... even runs well. :(
I have just spent about 2k on the thing for tyres which don't even fit :( Yes.... 265/75/16 - one tyre is damaged - the rest are not so look for them to come up soon for sale. I feel so let down :( The biggest issue being the corrosion & not knowing how bad it is. Radiator could be stuffed - cylc head? block? :(

So I am sad & ****ed off & I have no idea what I should do now & need a vent :) haha

I know I have options - get another rangie that's ok engine wise & take what I have & fit it to a another - maybe rip the current engine & cooling system apart & see how bad it is. Even still engine has to be lifted out for engine mounts & torque converter. :( god damn it - was so excited as well & just got a TJM bull bar for it as well. :(:( :soapbox: :BigCry:

Cap
13th June 2008, 02:22 PM
Hey Razzor, the main problem here is that you own a Suzuki GSXR1300... if it were a Honda you wouldnt have this prob :p

Seriously, when I bought my Rangie, it had rust on the drivers floor, the door pillars were cracked, the drive shafts were worn, the reverse gear was stuffed (eventually needed another gearbox), and the list went on for me too. The thing to do is take a few steps at a time, talk to Aulorians (like Rovercare) who have a wealth of experience and these things will be sorted. DONT go out and spend big dollars on new bits, like the power steering. My thing is now pretty sorted out, and its going great. But remember that at the end of the day, Rangie parts are cheap.

Sorry I cant help mechanically wise, but hand in there and the Rangie will reward you for being patient with it ;)

mike 90 RR
13th June 2008, 02:40 PM
IN short the following has been found.

1. Corrosion along coolant pipes (Top of engine)
5. Power steering box is leaking pretty bad - Jamie said about 800 ~ 1000 for this :( ****!
6. Some rust was found... in the damn floor! FFS! maybe plate to fix.
7. NFI how - but the fuel tank is leaking slow as well.

Lets see if we can cut the cost on this

$0 .... Donation from AULRO member // Plenty being junked
$100 .... Beer & BBQ .. to lube a AULRO member with a day to spare
$50 ... No labour charge as refer to Item 2
$200? .. plus labour or free ... Refer to item 2
5. Power steering box is leaking pretty bad
$300 + labour ... Rip one out of a 94 Disco
6. Some rust was found... in the damn floor! FFS! maybe plate to fix.
$50 ... Fiberglass it up .. It will never rust again
7. But the fuel tank is leaking slow as well.
$100 .. Enough being junked or chemi weld it

It doesn't look so bad now :)

It's not what you know but .... who you know

RaZz0R
13th June 2008, 05:36 PM
:) for real?

Thats all easy & can provide some errr... IT errr.. help & design & all sorts of stuff as I do IT design & engineering. :) I am all for helping each other. My worry is the engine is screwed. :) I'll be thinking tonight & tomorrow about where to start.

$0 .... Donation from AULRO member // Plenty being junked

My main worry is that its stuffed the head & block.... I guess I am seeing it worse then what it really is? Jamie was pretty sure the best thing to do would be to junk it... but I am not seeing it that way atm - and looking to confirm it lol ":)

But hey - I am willing to rip it apart & more then willing to prime & return the help & what not as well - bbq / beer is the normal with me :) Having bikes over & working on all the bikes is what we normally do - includes BBQ & the rest :) so for any help with this... its more then just a BBQ :D

GuyG
13th June 2008, 06:09 PM

Not to put a dampner on things - but you have to wonder why its leaking through the welsch plugs, they may have just rusted through, but mine was doing this also and having had the gearbox out to replace the plugs at the back of the motor - we then discovered that the head gasket was blown thus pressurising the cooling system and popping the plugs out:mad:. Hopefully its just a case of rusty plugs

mike 90 RR
13th June 2008, 06:50 PM
:) for real?

Thats all easy & can provide some errr... IT errr.. help & design & all sorts of stuff as I do IT design & engineering. :) I am all for helping each other. My worry is the engine is screwed. :) I'll be thinking tonight & tomorrow about where to start.

My main worry is that its stuffed the head & block.... I guess I am seeing it worse then what it really is? Jamie was pretty sure the best thing to do would be to junk it... but I am not seeing it that way atm - and looking to confirm it lol ":)

But hey - I am willing to rip it apart & more then willing to prime & return the help & what not as well - bbq / beer is the normal with me :) Having bikes over & working on all the bikes is what we normally do - includes BBQ & the rest :) so for any help with this... its more then just a BBQ :D

I can't help you on the labour .. as i am on the other side of the country .. But at least i got you to perk up a bit :)

.. It's only "nuts & bolts" :angel:

Car'n boys (& girls) // Give him some of the pro & cons on the problem
Surely it can be put "right"

RaZz0R
13th June 2008, 06:51 PM
mm, yeah its all the unknown's.

Just got off the phone from the old man talking about it & cost vs worth & what not.
I am going to start looking for a 3.9, the power steering box - but at the same time try & find a place where I rip apart the cooling system & head to see how bad it currently is.

GuyG - good point as well - when I was there we pumped about 10psi in to the cooling system & it showed the leaks, so will only know once I pull the engine.

Funny, never thought I would go down this path but the bodys good, tranny is good. so I have decided I am going to rip her apart & find out what is what & go from there :)

Mike 90RR - your idea rocks mate - if anyone is willing :D but either way - I'll have her back at my place next week & will start the process. Just means instead of 4 weeks away from 4WD'ing - going to be a few months :(
And thank you - because your post did make me look at it from a different point of view.

GuyG
13th June 2008, 08:26 PM
Someone should have a pressure tester which they can fit to the overflow tank to check what pressure the cooling system gets to when the engine is running - this is what they did to mine - I don't remember what it should be but this should give you an indication of whether the gasket is the cause

Also with my car when we had the welch plugs replaced we also fitted a new overflow tank cap which has the low level light in it - this was the previous weak spot - as this point was then removed it blew more water into the engine

Good luck with it - I know there in Brisbane but Jag and Rover Spares at Kelvin Grove import low km 3.9v8's

PhilipA
13th June 2008, 09:31 PM
I think that I would take off the thermostat housing and have a look at it.
If it is heavily corroded, then the odds are that the engine has not had good coolant for a long time.

Now maybe you can replace all the welsh plugs, heater hoses etc and it will be OK, but again the heads could be badly corroded. The radiator will almost certainly need replacing if there is lots of corrosion in the motor.
Also the back plate of the water pump may have corroded away. somewhat common in old engines and needing a welded timing cover.

The heater core will probably also be cactus.
Consider all this in the possible costs.
Regards Philip A

mike 90 RR
13th June 2008, 11:03 PM
Ok ... here's a thought :angel:

This might sound like i'm going on a tangent ;)

Some of the boys had a discussion about cheap RR's
Have a look for a $500 to $1000 special ... and look at it for it's donor parts

All you want is
Engine 3.9 + radiator + steering box .. and you end up with bonus spares all for a grand

Advertise what you don't want on AULRO .. which will make some one else happy & return some of the outlayed money to you $$$

Then sell the rest to the "Scrap metal" yard $$$

What do you get out of this?? ... The satisfaction of a beloved car back on the road that you fixed yourself :BigThumb:

and i wasn't joking about fiberglassing the floor // It won't rust again (must be preped properly tho)

Mike

RaZz0R
14th June 2008, 12:49 PM
:) love you guys can put a better light on things lol

OK _ Disco Steve has said he has an engine or two :) Would a 4.4 or 4.9lt fit in the rangie?

I am also going to research today for other rangie's... What years up or down could I go for to exchange bits between the two?? lol :)

So I'll make a game plan today including a time line. Mainly because I was looking forward to going out in the next few weeks - so now its going to be longer but I want it to be as quick as I can as well ;) got over time coming up for work hahha and I am contracting - YAY for this situation. :)

Thanks for all the help guys :) Next weekend the fun starts in pulling the old out apart.

mike 90 RR
14th June 2008, 02:32 PM
RaZZor

Post some pics of what you have got
Car .. Engine bay .. VIN ID plate
Helps in decisions

Digital cameras are cheap // Take photos of everything prior to stripping
Helps in remembering what goes where

Let us know what is available to you

RaZz0R
14th June 2008, 06:07 PM
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/range-rover/55678-89-rangie-project-pics.html

That was my first thread with all the pics - main location here- Index of /~razz0r/Rangie (http://www.users.on.net/~razz0r/Rangie/)

:)

mcrover
14th June 2008, 06:39 PM
Why not go diesel while you have to toss the motor anyway.

Rovercare is building 1 at the moment with a 4bd1T which would make it much better than running a V8 with fuel prices like they are.

I take it that the Jamie your refering to is from Allranges, if so then I would say because of what it would cost in labour as well as parts for him to do it, the car probably isnt worth it and thats why he would have said it.

They are a pretty simple beast, so do as much of it as you can yourself.

RaZz0R
14th June 2008, 11:05 PM
Why not go diesel while you have to toss the motor anyway.
I take it that the Jamie your refering to is from Allranges, if so then I would say because of what it would cost in labour as well as parts for him to do it, the car probably isnt worth it and thats why he would have said it. They are a pretty simple beast, so do as much of it as you can yourself.

That's correct mate & Jamie is a top bloke! :)
Michael I think it was? He was there as well & they both explain it all very well to me. I would agree - if I was to pay them the labour to do it all - it would cost a heap & not worth doing.

As for diesel... thought about it - I like the V8 lol diesel is costing heaps atm anyway & long term it will be put on gas injection. :twisted:

till then - I think in about a month or so she will be rocking - I also forgot I have a mate who is a panel beater :)