PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Alignment On 95 Disco

AussieLandRover
15th June 2008, 01:15 PM
Since I had me steering box and tie rod ends replaced with new I took the landy to Bob-Jane for the alignment but they don't seem to be able to get it right either it ends up pulling to the left or to the right and the steering wheel is never straight and that get's me miffed.

Should I take it to a LandRover Dealership.

I also came across these steering dampners that keep your steering centered would they be worth buying for my disco ? 4 Way Suspension (http://www.4waysuspension.com.au/rtc.htm)

duncanw
15th June 2008, 02:37 PM
To fix the steering wheel problem take it to a big empty car park and get the wheel in what you think is the straight ahead position.

Loosen the nuts at the end of the front steering pushlink and turn the bar either clockwise / anticlockwise. If you cant turn it by hand loosen them up or use a pair of mole grips. As you turn the bar the steering wheel will turn, it's probably best to have another person in the car to tell you when its straight.

I've found it best to stay away from the bigger tyre places and find a small place who know what they are talking about. If its run by a bloke in some overalls then thats a good sign, if hes got a shirt and tie on then find somewhere else.

V8Landy
15th June 2008, 03:19 PM
I think they are generally for big tyres if you just run standard tyres or up to 33" i dont think you need them.Any tyre place that knows what they are doing should be able to do a wheel alignment.Cheers Brett

http://www.4waysuspension.com.au/rtc.htm

rovercare
15th June 2008, 03:23 PM
I got a return to centre damper here, yours for 6 wild turkey's if you want:D

101RRS
15th June 2008, 04:09 PM
Take it back and make them do the job properly. I often had the alignment on my D1 done at a Bob Jane store and they had no problems.

Garry

weeds
15th June 2008, 05:58 PM
correct me if i'm wrong but if it pulling to the left or the right wouldn't that suggest something else is wrong, brake calipers, suspension bushes, tyres etc

not much to get wrong with the wheel alignment

is the disco the same as a defender as i do my own

the front rod is to adjust the steering wheel position....do this last

the rear rod is to adjust toe in/out 0mm - 2mm toe out

AussieLandRover
15th June 2008, 07:37 PM
I have taken it back as indicated in my original post but either it ends up going left or right after each alignment. I take it to be either dodge equipment or dodge mechanic.

I did go to another tyre place who did get it very close to what it should be but they suggested to my to take it to a land rover dealership to get it spot on and the steering to be straighten as most guy's who come in with there landy's only buy the tyres and then go to the dealership for the alignment.

Rovercare what you mean by 6 wild turkey's ???

After doing research on the return to centre damper it's for older 4wd's with no return to centre and for larger tyre's and lift the 95 disco fit's into this.

I guess another thing is what would be the recomended tyre pressure for standard tyre's I have been recomended 42psi ???

rovercare
15th June 2008, 07:43 PM
Rovercare what you mean by 6 wild turkey's ???

Its bourbon and Cola, premix ;)

AussieLandRover
16th June 2008, 12:28 AM
Why are you willing to part with yours ???

rovercare
16th June 2008, 09:49 AM
Why are you willing to part with yours ???

Are you a cop?:eek:

Nah, it was merely off a wreck, Cause I;ve been known to wreck the odd Rangie:D

weeds
16th June 2008, 10:50 AM
I did go to another tyre place who did get it very close to what it should be but they suggested to my to take it to a land rover dealership to get it spot on and the steering to be straighten as most guy's who come in with there landy's only buy the tyres and then go to the dealership for the alignment.

sorry Aussie but i a little lost here.......i don't have a lot of experience but have always done my own wheel alignments on my ex rangie and now defender......i'm under the impression that because there are no camber/caster adjustments wheel alignments can be done in the back yard, i cannot see land rover doing any thing differant than a tyre place

i would be looking elsewhere for your problem with it pulling one way or the other

AussieLandRover
16th June 2008, 10:53 AM
Are you a cop?:eek:

Nah, it was merely off a wreck, Cause I;ve been known to wreck the odd Rangie:D

I would take it but it has no instructions on how to set it up etc. Plus how would I get it as well.

AussieLandRover
16th June 2008, 11:06 AM
sorry Aussie but i a little lost here.......i don't have a lot of experience but have always done my own wheel alignments on my ex rangie and now defender......i'm under the impression that because there are no camber/caster adjustments wheel alignments can be done in the back yard, i cannot see land rover doing any thing differant than a tyre place

i would be looking elsewhere for your problem with it pulling one way or the other

When the tie rods went on the new ones had longer threads then the old ones had so it mucked it up a little so it would need a whole alignment from scratch from what my mechanic had told me when he replaced all the parts.

I have been thinking that because the steering was bad in the first place when I got her that maybe I was expecting steering like my 2004 Toyota Avalon and that maybe when I hit the bumps in the road etc it makes the landy jolt a little etc or the curve of the road. At the moment it's not to bad as the other joint faced the wheels outwards a little. If I take it to a dealership at least I know it has been done properly and that it's just the way the Landy handels on the road.

rovercare
16th June 2008, 12:42 PM
I would take it but it has no instructions on how to set it up etc. Plus how would I get it as well.

Instructions:eek:, bolt it on, loosen the spring clamp, centre the steering, then do up the spring clamp

AussieLandRover
16th June 2008, 03:25 PM
Can you send me a pic of it please or post it here.

rovercare
16th June 2008, 04:40 PM
It's the one they sell on ebay, yellow with blue spring, I'm not going to dick around with a pic, for something I only want a half dozen stubbies for, sorry;)

Oh, except its a bit dirty:D