PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Discovery- Starting out

Rob86
16th June 2008, 04:10 PM
hey there i am very much into my four wheel driving but sick of going in someone elses car.
Have been looking at a few brands but stepping up from my 02 commodore ute want something with a bit more comfort hence starting looking at the discoverys.
i want a diesel one and a manual one is there anything that is common to go wrong with them and what are the best year models. Also what to look out for when looking at one.
Sorry for all the questions but dont know much about the land rovers

Thanks
Rob

loanrangie
16th June 2008, 04:21 PM
First place to start is what is your budget then we can guide you to what you can afford.

Rob86
16th June 2008, 04:32 PM
Well basically what ever i can sell my ute for plus a bit extra so under 20grand would be a ball park figure. Dont mind doing some work on it either.

sniegy
16th June 2008, 09:13 PM
Hi Rob,
I have one for sale if this interests u.
PM me for more info if req.
Used LAND ROVER DISCOVERY Private Seller Cars For Sale - carsales.com.au (http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/LAND_ROVER/DISCOVERY/details.aspx?__Ntk=CarAll&__D=td5&__Dx=mode+matchany&State=All%20States&Cr=0&state_id=0&keywords=td5&R=5841820&__N=4294965541+0+4294965540+4294931258+834+285+257&distance=25&__Ns=pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag_Int32|1||pCar_ImageCo unt_Int32|1||pCar_LastModifiedDate_DateTime|1&__Ntt=td5&trecs=12&__Nne=20&__Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&silo=1003&__sid=11A932E2CBC0&Model=DISCOVERY&seot=0&Make=LAND%20ROVER)

Rob86
17th June 2008, 09:04 AM
was really after a manual but great looking car sounds great. are there any problems with the manuals or is an auto the way to go.

B92 8NW
17th June 2008, 09:50 AM
was really after a manual but great looking car sounds great. are there any problems with the manuals or is an auto the way to go.

Both have their drawbacks. Go with what you prefer, and what works best for the types of driving that you do, but be sure to test drive both before making a decision.

crash
17th June 2008, 02:39 PM
If you want to tackle the more harder tracks I would be looking to see if they have the central diff lock.
Mind you I do not have the CDL on mine and am pretty impressed with the traction control - has its down falls when it comes to sand and mud.

Four Boar
17th June 2008, 04:47 PM
Go for the 300Tdi they started around 94'?? to 98'!
Ive got a 98' Disco 300 tdi, the only thing I would recomend
is as soon as you get one, get an engine saver installed (cost around $150).
Then you will have a unstopable work horse.

U should be able to get a real good rig for about $13,000.
But that will be for a real good one, low km, a few extras etc.

Good luck ay!

Rob86
18th June 2008, 03:30 PM
What is an engine saver, only reason i ask is i could probably install it my self as im a marine mechanic.

thanks everyone for your replys

Grumndriva
19th June 2008, 07:47 AM
Choice of gearbox is a personal thing. I started driving Landies more than 40 years ago and have owned 4. For my money, you have to be a masochist to prefer a manual over an auto, either on the road or off road. However having said that, there is nothing wrong with a manual, and there are times when they are more fun, but mostly just more work, especially off road and in traffic.

Cheers,

Terry

99DII V8 Auto

barjop
19th June 2008, 11:14 AM
Rob,
I recommend an auto, only hassle with D1 auto is down hill gearing is higher than a manual so not as much control going down very steep grades. (D2 has hill descent control). Of course there are ways around this turn on air con and as my D1 has ABS I use this when I need to creep down at really low speeds. Mind you ABS can be a pain in very loose gravel if you need to stop in a hurry. Also there are other techniques to assist well documented in these forums. Otherwise the auto does everything a manual does and IMHO it does it easier. Also helps reduces turbo lag.

PS Full Boar also what is an engine saver

Regards
John
98 D1 Tdi Auto
Ridepro suspension 2" lift.
Rear Tru Trac

barjop
19th June 2008, 11:54 AM
Sorry for laziness, just used search engine very interesting may have to invest in this simple engine protection device.

Regards
John
98 D1 Tdi Auto
Ridepro suspension 2" lift.
Rear Tru Trac

Rob86
19th June 2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks for that, at the moment have a manual and have always wanted them cause they are more fun to drive.
Hopefully will get time to look at this 99 one on the weekend.
Used Cars for Sale | LAND ROVER DISCOVERY drive.com.au (http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/LAND+ROVER/DISCOVERY/Sydney/detail.aspx?id=4589064&lid=4589064&pg=1&pp=0&d=0&nv=1&SG=-263006137&pt=1)

Rob86
19th June 2008, 11:59 AM
Just looked at an egine saver to very simple jus be like tapping a hole in the radiator and putting a temp sendor in there very easy.

simonr23
19th June 2008, 08:29 PM
the d2 auto, when in manual mode or whatever its called in low-range, actually locks the torque converter in all gears until it thinks ur going so slow its going to stall. car reacts like a regular manula trans- no slipping torque converter wasting engine braking or throttle response/smoothness. works easily and simply. i have an 02 td5 auto.

Jay
21st June 2008, 10:05 AM
Hi Rob,
I have owned my manual TDI 200 for about 2 1/2 months now. Great car, love it. I get on average 800+ K's per tank ( I do a lot of highway miles, around 100 kph is best compromise). Mind you I also spent 1/2 a day on some pretty sandy tacks with a convoy then headed down 20k's of beach and still got 800k's per tank!! I tell you that really really surprised: me, I thought the fuel usage would go through the roof. There were times I was really feeding it some fuel and surging up hills. Blew a lot of smoke but never missed a beat.

I am wrapped. The folks I have spoken to on this site are fantastic, meet a few folks on the street too and great folks. Having said that I was talking to another member last weekend who has a 300TDI. He has made a lot of improvements.
Runs BFG, has airlockers etc. He has been to the cap and gets good, very good speed in the NT, but of course less economy.

In traffic the manual is a manual, Bris traffic is a real drag. But I like the control and in tune feeling I have with my Landy. I love the manual. But I have not driven the auto's much. I believe they are excallent.

I got mine for 8K's with 270 on the clock. Runs great.

Good luck :)

Rob86
21st June 2008, 01:13 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the help bought one this morning and hopefully pick it up today or tomorrow 99 TD5 manual with 161000 on the clock for 15K drove really nice hasnt done any four wheel driving so is really clean and straight but wont be long before it does.

Cheers
Rob