PDA

View Full Version : Hard wiring 12v compressor.

loanrangie
26th June 2008, 02:39 PM
I have an ex D3 air suspension compressor i want to hard wire to my 2nd battery, do i need to wire it via a relay or just direct with a switch and inline fuse ?

ladas
26th June 2008, 02:51 PM
I have an ex D3 air suspension compressor i want to hard wire to my 2nd battery, do i need to wire it via a relay or just direct with a switch and inline fuse ?

It's always safer to wire things that draw high currents via a relay, and have the switch operate the relay and let the relay (correctly rated for the compressor) do the hard work.

You could always get a high rated switch, but then that normally means running loads of LARGE cables to the dash or wherever you position the switch.

Using a relay limits the amout of LARGE cables you need to run, as the cable from the relay to the switch can be much, much smaller.

Always use a fuse (again of the correct rating for the compressor)

rovercare
26th June 2008, 03:13 PM
It's always safer to wire things that draw high currents via a relay, and have the switch operate the relay and let the relay (correctly rated for the compressor) do the hard work.

You could always get a high rated switch, but then that normally means running loads of LARGE cables to the dash or wherever you position the switch.

Using a relay limits the amout of LARGE cables you need to run, as the cable from the relay to the switch can be much, much smaller.

Always use a fuse (again of the correct rating for the compressor)

^^^^^ pretty much

You going to run a pressure switch and tank? or just turn it on?

I'm guessing your going to take pics and put the install in the tutorial section;)

loanrangie
26th June 2008, 03:17 PM
^^^^^ pretty much

You going to run a pressure switch and tank? or just turn it on?

I'm guessing your going to take pics and put the install in the tutorial section;)

No tank for now and going to sqeeze it in somewhere near the filter housing so it will be short wiring with just a switch near by to turn on/off - do i need a relay ? its not big and wont be used continuosly like in a locker situation.

rovercare
26th June 2008, 03:23 PM
No tank for now and going to sqeeze it in somewhere near the filter housing so it will be short wiring with just a switch near by to turn on/off - do i need a relay ? its not big and wont be used continuosly like in a locker situation.

Need to know the current draw, but if your switching it on in the engine bay? Don't bother, just buy a 20-30A switch and hook it up.........with a fuse of course

loanrangie
26th June 2008, 03:28 PM
Need to know the current draw, but if your switching it on in the engine bay? Don't bother, just buy a 20-30A switch and hook it up.........with a fuse of course Thats my plan as i dont know the current draw.

cmurray
27th June 2008, 08:40 AM
What are you going to use the compressor for? I've heard that the D3 compressors aren't the fastest for pumping up tyres, as they are designed for high pressure, but low volume. Diff lock compressors only run for a couple of seconds. ARB diff locks only need about 105 PSI and the volume of air needed is tiny. If anyone is interested I can post up some pictures of my big red compressor with air tank, pressure switch and the rest.

Signal1
28th July 2008, 02:05 PM
Yes please :p

waz
23rd February 2010, 11:25 AM
Does anyone know the flow rate on a D3 suspension compressor?

I'm hooking one up to a tank/pressure switch, but I want to put a non-return valve on it. The guy behind the counter asked me for the flow rate as there are different valves.

Waz

Blknight.aus
23rd February 2010, 01:07 PM
it hasnt got a lot of flow, free flow is something in the order of 15-20l/min

they are good to 150psi from memory.

subasurf
23rd February 2010, 04:54 PM
I don't know a whole lot about compressors, but if you're installing the compressor in the engine bay and only using it for tires etc then just wire it straight to the battery with an inline fuse and you should be good to go.