PDA

View Full Version : Nanocom - First uses and impressions

5teve
3rd July 2008, 12:13 AM
Hi guys

Thought we could use a new thread for logging bugs / impressions / problems etc with our nice shiny new nanocoms

so.. as i have mine here goes..

1, Its small! great :D
2, its USB now even better :D
3, it hates my laptop :mad: - to expand.. my laptop has 26 com ports reserved! god knows by what.. the software only allows 1-10 to be set.. so i managed to fiddle it so that it used 5 after persuading it several times.. more investgation required.. bluetooth suspected..
4, unlock codes added, number 1-6 BCU support seems to be missing? nothing listed in the software.. so im waiting to see if anyone else finds this too?
5, software is a bit buggy.. but im sure that will be sorted.
6, It wont talk to the ABS / SLABS computer when the engine is running, i wasnt expecting this! is this the same on all?
7, the number display as it reads settings dont seem to mean much? i couldnt see any units listed..

Anyway.. the more we use / become familiar, the more we can feed back to Nanocom, and hopefully help to improve the firmware / software. also as it is now open source.. maybe there will be some neat software appear also!

Thanks

Steve

LandyAndy
3rd July 2008, 07:13 PM
Did you have any fault codes???
Picking mine up tomorow.
Andrew

5teve
3rd July 2008, 07:49 PM
there were 4 andy... nothing that looked major and no noticable difference in drive..

i'll check later but it was something to do with a lamp, the glow plugs and something else :D i'll update this shortly!

as for the BCU module... its still coming soon had an email from them as follows

Hi,
The BCU will be added in the next release.The ABS system actualy stops if the engine is running.It will be available an adaptor to the yellow cable that will allow to keep the communication when the engine is running.I send to all customer an e-mail when this adaptor will be available.

Regards
Mattia

so there you go... i have asked for costs also on the adaptor.. :D

enjoy Andy ... will update this shortly!

ok update

Engine ECU errors

FAULT 10-06 mil lamp drive open load LOGGED
FAULT 10-07 glowplug lamp drive open load LOGGED
FAULT 22-01 road speed missing LOGGED

ABS ECU errors

FAULT 01-01 no fault 169 times
FAULT 17-06 pump failure 4 (pump running when not actuated) INTERMIT. 000 times

0 times eh? :)

Thanks

Steve

LandyAndy
4th July 2008, 08:52 PM
Had a play with mine,nice bit of equipment!!!!!
Havent got the unlock codes yet for the SLABs so no info on the 3 amigoes as yet.
Using it stand alone as my boy wouldnt help me with his laptop I got into it.It really impressed me how easy it is to use.
The engine ECU contained the following.
03-07 air flow circuit- current
07-07 EGR vacuum modulator short circuit-logged
09-05 turbo wastegate open-logged
09-06 EGR inlet throttle open load-logged
09-07 EGR modulator open load-logged
13-06 EGR inlet throttle short circuit-current
19-07 Noisy crank signal-logged
20-04 EGR valve stuck open-logged
20-05 EGR valve stuck closed-logged
22-01 Road speed missing-logged
31-01 Inj1 open circuit-logged
31-02 Inj2 open circuit-logged

After clearing the 2 following still appear
09-06 EGR throttle open load-logged
13-06 EGR inlet throttle short circuit-current.

From a testdrive Ive got a max Bar of 1.14(16.53 psi) at 2000 to 3000rpm,after 3000 in the gears it dropped to 1.00 bar(14.5psi) so the turbo is doing its job despite 3 studs not working and the gasket leaking.

The open injectors and noisy crank signal are an oil in the harness items,they couldnt delete them last time I had it wiped but thought they would go over time.
My EGR was gunked up and appeared to be not seating,it now has a the vac tube sealed,EGR to be removed this weekend.

Will list my SLABs faults when I get the unlock codes.
Andrew

LandyAndy
5th July 2008, 11:49 AM
Just been playing more,thistime with SLABs.
THE 3 AMIGOES ARE BANISHED:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

LHR sensor output too low,intermit 001 times
22-05 RHF Sensor electrical failure,intermit,254 times(obviously the issue here)
22-07 LHF Sensor electrical failure,intermit,001 times
22-08 RHR Sensor electrical failure,intermit,002 times
24-06 LHR Sensor output,intermit,002 times.

Went for a test drive got the TC,ABS to work and did a hill with HDC. All working no return of the lights,re-scaned,no fault codes present.
I IS A HAPPY CHAPPY:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Got a mate with a chipped 130 thats running the cooling fan constantly,will post his faults when I scan his ECU.
Andrew

Graz
5th July 2008, 12:36 PM
Works ok in vehicle, man I need to drop those revs.

Tried connecting to my laptop and PC. Dosesn't see the Nanocom regardless of what USB port I use. If I go into Programs-Nanocom-Utilities-TD5 Graphic viewer I get a message 'Application failed as configuration incorrect, try reloading program. Done this a couple times on both computers without success. Maybe there is a bug in the CD they supplied?:confused::confused:

When I get the Nanocom page up there is nothing on it apart from a com setting button, a ? button and a statement in the bottom left corner 'Nanocom not connected.
Any ideas before I pull my remaining hair out.

LandyAndy
5th July 2008, 02:44 PM
are they XP or higher???
Wont work om win98.
Andrew

Graz
5th July 2008, 07:46 PM
are they XP or higher???
Wont work om win98.
Andrew

Both are XP

Didn't realise the box did not get power from the computer. ( I consulted the local computer nurd - Ben ) Turns out the camping Coleman fluro charger works perfectly. How handy is that.:D

Just downloaded all the fault codes onto the computer. With all the faults listed the Fender should not run. A mix of Logged and Current. Need to do some reading to see what it all means.

LandyAndy
5th July 2008, 09:14 PM
List them Graham,we may be able to help.
Oil in the harness could be the reason,when Southerns did mine last most of a huge list got blamed on oil in the harness which they said would eventually go away,it seems they did.The 2 injector faults and noisy crank signal are oil in the harness issues.
Andrew

gazk
9th July 2008, 11:08 PM
Hi guys

Thought we could use a new thread for logging bugs / impressions / problems etc with our nice shiny new nanocoms

so.. as i have mine here goes..

1, Its small! great :D
2, its USB now even better :D
3, it hates my laptop :mad: - to expand.. my laptop has 26 com ports reserved! god knows by what.. the software only allows 1-10 to be set.. so i managed to fiddle it so that it used 5 after persuading it several times.. more investgation required.. bluetooth suspected..
4, unlock codes added, number 1-6 BCU support seems to be missing? nothing listed in the software.. so im waiting to see if anyone else finds this too?
5, software is a bit buggy.. but im sure that will be sorted.
6, It wont talk to the ABS / SLABS computer when the engine is running, i wasnt expecting this! is this the same on all?
7, the number display as it reads settings dont seem to mean much? i couldnt see any units listed..

Anyway.. the more we use / become familiar, the more we can feed back to Nanocom, and hopefully help to improve the firmware / software. also as it is now open source.. maybe there will be some neat software appear also!

Thanks

Steve

Hi steve, been trying out my new NANOCOM, concur that the PC interface is very "buggy". I had no problem setting up the NANOCOM interface software on my PC, entering the unlock codes and downloading a number of files off my D2.

I have however already discovered a number of problems having loaded the saved data files down to my PC:

I need to have the NANOCOM box connected to be able to use (replay) the files downloaded to the PC.

The "SAVE TEXT REPORT" button appears to do something but I can't find where the, presumably xxxxx.txt, file is stored. Therefore can't print the file and can't view it without the NANOCOM software.

The graphical viewer won't open, appears it does not install properly. A "repair' to the installation did not fix the problem.

There is a Minor typographical error with labelling on the "ABS" display Page; there are 2 Front Left Sens(V) labels, and no Rear Left Sens(V) label.

The software appears to lockup occasionally when viewing saved files on the PC and the NANOCOM application needs to be exited and restarted.

The user manual for this latest version is only 12 pages, the previous version had 46 pages. While a lot has changed in firmware 2.0 much of the detailed explanation that was in the old manual appears to be still valid but it has been omitted from the new manual. eg the fault code list that was in an appendix has disappeared.

In spite of all the bugs it is a very good tool. Once the PC "remote" control software and the manual are fixed it will be great.

regards

simonr23
9th July 2008, 11:43 PM
thats odd to hear of athe little problems you guys are having. i have one of the serial interface units and i have updated my computer(vista32) and nanocom software/firmware as its become available. ive not had any freezing issues or random problems. it is annoying to have to always turn off the car to read the abs system, but otherwise mine has been very stable in operation.

for reference my auto td5 disco peaks at around 1.19-1.22 for turbo pressure.

5teve, which data/numbers seem meaningless to you. so far (admittedly it took some time) all the readouts are in figures that make sense to me.

something of interest, maybe an issue. i notice that my wastegate, egr and modulator figures never seem to rise above 35%(i think its %, havent used it for a bit) surely there must be times when this system will go to 100%.

Ruslan
10th July 2008, 12:04 AM
1. The "SAVE TEXT REPORT" button appears to do something but I can't find where the, presumably xxxxx.txt, file is stored. Therefore can't print the file and can't view it without the NANOCOM software.

2. The graphical viewer won't open, appears it does not install properly. A "repair' to the installation did not fix the problem.

3. The software appears to lockup occasionally when viewing saved files on the PC and the NANOCOM application needs to be exited and restarted.

I just want to confirm I have the same list of bugs

+
I got a list of engine faults and they can't be cleared. Actually they gone (air con fan works as it should etc.), and Nanocom says "Faults cleared", but they come up again after reading. Sent e-mail to support, will see what they say.

Good thing is ABS faults cleared and gone from the list :)

gazk
10th July 2008, 10:54 AM
Following on from my earlier post I have found that there is a NANOCOM V2.0 software patch for PC software to fix the Graphic Viewer problem.

The recently delivered NANOCOMs came with a CD containing installation software for the PC interface. To make the Graphic Viewer work you need to download the updated software from: :: Download - Nanocom :: (http://web.nanocom.it/download_i.cfm?categoria=107)

Title: Nanocom setup 2.00
Description: Nanocom.exe 2.00 installation packet compatible with all firmware from 2.00 upward (Graphic viever.exe installation problem fixed).
Download: NanocomSetup2_00_GVpatch.zip

(Its available under the “Software for PC” button from the downloads area.)

I also recommend that you download the old User Manual from the NANOCOM site: :: Download - Nanocom :: (http://web.nanocom.it/download_i.cfm?categoria=106)

Title: Nanocom user's manual V1.2
Description: User's manual for firmware up to 1.09p. (this manual contain also information about TD5 diagnostic functions)
Download: NANOCOM user manual V1.2.pdf

(Its available under the “User Guides” button from the downloads area.)

It contains a lot of information that is still relevant but is not in the version 2.0 manual.

Hope this helps those with the new NANOCOMs. :)

Tombie
10th July 2008, 09:37 PM
:thumbsup: dont panic on most of those fault codes

ariddell
10th July 2008, 09:54 PM
Is the Nanocom any use on a v8 for getting rid of the 3 amigos?

Obviously none of the engine ecu diagnostic stuff would apply i presume but is the ABS side of things cross compatible?

Sound like very useful tools.

5teve
11th July 2008, 09:06 AM
Following on from my earlier post I have found that there is a NANOCOM V2.0 software patch for PC software to fix the Graphic Viewer problem.

The recently delivered NANOCOMs came with a CD containing installation software for the PC interface. To make the Graphic Viewer work you need to download the updated software from: :: Download - Nanocom :: (http://web.nanocom.it/download_i.cfm?categoria=107)

Title: Nanocom setup 2.00
Description: Nanocom.exe 2.00 installation packet compatible with all firmware from 2.00 upward (Graphic viever.exe installation problem fixed).
Download: NanocomSetup2_00_GVpatch.zip

(Its available under the “Software for PC” button from the downloads area.)

I also recommend that you download the old User Manual from the NANOCOM site: :: Download - Nanocom :: (http://web.nanocom.it/download_i.cfm?categoria=106)

Title: Nanocom user's manual V1.2
Description: User's manual for firmware up to 1.09p. (this manual contain also information about TD5 diagnostic functions)
Download: NANOCOM user manual V1.2.pdf

(Its available under the “User Guides” button from the downloads area.)

It contains a lot of information that is still relevant but is not in the version 2.0 manual.

Hope this helps those with the new NANOCOMs. :)

Gaz

i was a bit puzzled about your issues.. until this post.. i never use the software on the cd unless i really have to.. in this case i updated the software and installed fromt he website, so didnt notice the issues you were having!

with regard to the nanocom needing to be plugged in this is correct, i guess you have worked out how to export the files in the nanocom to the pc for storage, but yes without the nanocom plugged in the replay feature in the software doesnt work, if its the fuel mapping tho then just use the graphical viewer as that gives a much nicer to read output.

thanks for the tips on the manuals! hopefully the BCU will arrive very shortly.

ariddle

not sure if it will work on the v8 abs system, the best bet would be to locate someone with one close by and see if they can talk to your car? it will save the cost of buying one to find it doesnt work.

Ruslan

Mine went (only had a few) and stayed away, have nanocom got back to you as they normally reply in under 24 hours

Simon

i had a better look at the software and yes it makes more sense now.. i just needed to get a bit familiar with it :) will concur with the 35% things too.. they never get higher.. i dont think... makes no difference as the egr will be going soon :)

as i posted earlier there will be an adaptor / cable available in the future to allow the ABS computer to be accessed with the car running, something to do with a limitation of the interface maybe?

other issues i have consistently is when i go to write a log of the fuel mappings (trip log) i always get an 'error writing to flash' error on the first attempt.. anyone else get this? also the switching inputs, recording those and playing them back they seem very random it shows the auto box going from P to D and flicking in and out all over the place when infact it was in D only. same with brake light switching..

Thanks

Steve

gazk
11th July 2008, 11:43 AM
Hi Steve, the old version of the PC software did not require a NANOCOM to be connected to be able to see all the function menu etc. I think with the introduction of an "emulated" USB connection in place of the old RS232 interface the capability to use the PC software without a NANOCOM has been lost. The ability to view text files and in turn print out fault lists etc has also gone, the new interface for this feature does not work even with the latest s/w patch.

I will test the software a bit more and sent my findings to NANOCOM.

Regards

5teve
11th July 2008, 12:21 PM
has any one used the old software with more functions in it on the new USB ones? i dont think the software cares to be honest all they have done to add USB is put a usb to rs232 convertor in the hardware and used a driver to emulate the com port. in theory as long as the software can see the com port all should be good... so in theory the old software should also work? i guess they revamped software is all part of the open sourcing of it? not good to take a huge step back in functionality tho..

i'd suggest we come up with a couple of lists, 1 being outright bugs and 2 being features that need adding / reinstating and then send it on one hit to nanocom. the reason for this is i get the feeling this may be a 1 or 2 man band that needs as much time for coding as they can, and if people are hammering lots of emails to them well they may divert their efforts elsewhere!

Thanks

Steve

Ruslan
11th July 2008, 03:38 PM
:thumbsup: dont panic on most of those fault codes
Normal reaction on Tombraider's upgrade ;)

Mike, what does "Map file protected" mean?

Cheers,
Ruslan

Ruslan
11th July 2008, 03:48 PM
Mine went (only had a few) and stayed away, have nanocom got back to you as they normally reply in under 24 hours

Steve,

yes, I've got reply from Mattia and he confirmed my thoughts:

...the map installed has not the right configuration for the part number of the ECU.

Ruslan

5teve
11th July 2008, 04:34 PM
Steve,

yes, I've got reply from Mattia and he confirmed my thoughts:

Ruslan

so the tombraider map has caused this? if so why isnt mine showing it up? as mine is tombied too :)

or is that the map file protected error thing your getting?

Thanks

Steve

Ruslan
11th July 2008, 06:10 PM
so the tombraider map has caused this? if so why isnt mine showing it up? as mine is tombied too :)

or is that the map file protected error thing your getting?

Thanks

Steve
Can't tell for sure, a bit of mystery to me. May be Mike can put some light on :)

It is not an error, it came up after reading the file.

Steve, can you tell what is your Config tune and Fuel tune IDs? ECU must be the same NNN500020.

Cheers,
Ruslan

Tombie
11th July 2008, 07:49 PM
Being modified maps they also have a protection on them...

Depending on how the software has been written it may detect this protection.

I can assure you the map is fine for the vehicles I load it to...

I have had one problem car, but were fixing it once the Nanocom maps are ready.

Rosscoe68
12th July 2008, 12:27 PM
got mine today :)"
hooked up and running, cleared a couple of engine fauls, but "can't communicate with ecu" when i try and read slabs faults :(
any ideas ?

McDisco
12th July 2008, 12:33 PM
got mine today :)"
hooked up and running, cleared a couple of engine fauls, but "can't communicate with ecu" when i try and read slabs faults :(
any ideas ?

Check out the FAQs on the new Nanocom site. They have some suggestions as to why you get this message. I usually just turn the car off and check the plug connection and then it will usually work.

Angus

Rosscoe68
12th July 2008, 01:13 PM
ah ok, ignition needs be on but engine not running, now all is good :)

ok, so everyone talks about the three amigoes, which is what i thought i had, but i have no errors there, but occasionally on startup i get "M" and "S" mode lights flash at me. seems to go away if i turn off, manually lock the doors, then trigger the remote door unlock and start up. that also fixes the occasional problem where engine turns over but wont fire. i think it might be a general reset, that wound right ?

Quarks
19th July 2008, 10:14 AM
My Nanocom arrived yesterday morning (a while after all you lot, yeah, I know), and I started playing with it yesterday morning. :cool:

At first I couldn't get it to talk to the computer (even after reading the manual :o), but then I got my little brother (computer programmer nerd) on the case, we read the manual again and it worked fine after that. :)
One thing that I had to keep remembering is that you've got to plan what you're going to do, and not change your mind incessantly - as the Nanocom only does one thing at a time, and then often takes a bit of time to get going.

Spent a bit of time poking around, looking at settings. Saved the faults list, discovered that the 14-xx series (listed as 'current') will disappear if you turn the ignition on to II instead of just I. Even tried out some of the test functions. :angel:

Also went for a drive and checked out the instrument mode.

:)
Geoff
('06 Defender)

mousie
19th July 2008, 01:33 PM
The additional function of introducing protection into the eprom or eeprom depending on disco model has been well used in the pirate pay TV and other priate areas where eeproms have uses to protect either legitmate or particular the pirates is what many nanocom users will find. Given the old technology used 27c1024 chip MSB box (less than 5-8 dollars AUS) the sellers can continue to charge 700 to 900 hundered of dollars for simple 1 min uploads to the same ease as writing to a ram drive once you understand the process and have a basic interface like nanocom or eprom reader writer (50 dollar kit) for the old chips. Granted you have to desolder the old to read and put a socket in with MSB boards. With the release of open source for nanocoms, and the nanocoms appearing in Aus, its only a matter of time the generic stage 1 map will be posted.

The legitimate developers will naturally be impressed when certain priate sellers have been using their code which is easily identifable in the file signature itself. Good news is, if your an illegal seller who issued receipts then one of those companies may crak a darky! But then again maybe not.

Had a joke with a mate and we worked out with a stage 1 map file listed at 50 dollar drive in, stop 30 minute turn around and drive out modified file for all the old types we would have to hire traffic controllers!

Cheers and hope this helps explain proms, eproms and the added file protection rest. When a file surfaces on the WWW, I'll check the timing fueling section and share for all to see and play. Cheers

D1 119 Love it, D2 2000 Td5 auto and love both so three cars for two people, discos are like pets when it comes to play time.

porgey
20th July 2008, 05:21 PM
I had a few minor glitches trying to get the menu worked out but found it was my insensitive fingers on those little keys and yes I also found I was better to take it easy and it all falls into place . Luckily most my codes were related to EGR and injector shorts. I have just recently done an injector harness transplant and i guess thats the issue. Shake this darn Flu off and will have a better look Cheers George

LandyAndy
20th July 2008, 06:55 PM
Hi George
I was told by a dealers mechanic the injector faults relate to "oil in the harness" and do remain until the oil is eventually gone.
I get a heap of EGR faults,buth before and after removing my EGR.Its connection is unplugged at the vacumm controller,the vac line is pluged and the EGR gear is removed.Still the ecu reads it as being faulty:D:D:D:D:D:D
Adjust your wastgate(undo locknut and turn tunbuckle till you feel resistance then do the locknut up) and just watch on the instrument mode the improvement in the reduction of turbo lag and the improved driveability:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Andrew

porgey
21st July 2008, 05:29 PM
Andrew. Thanks for tips. I am in the poor me mood at present caused by a bout of Flu. and havn't had the inclination to do much with the new Nanocom although the hour or so i did get to use it realy impressed me and with the useful network being set up by you guys, life with a 1999 D2.TD5 will be more enjoyable. Waste gate I had contemplated having a play with the adjustment. So armed with the W/G tip I will give it a go in the morning. I pulled the manifold off several weeks ago and it was unbelievable the black crud I removed but I didnt remove the EGR just cleaned it up and left the vac pipe off. Interestingly when i bought the car it seemed to be sluggish and I took it to a local LR guy who connected it to Diagnostics and told me I was stuck in third gear. Armed with this negative imfo I gave the engine a good clean. and an eagle eyed inspection showed fresh oil coming from the front of the cylinder head and soaking the engine harness. I searched this forum and injection loom kept on rearing its ugly head. Yes changed the injection loom and cleaned the engine harness and took the ECU out and de-oiled it . Next morning took it for a spin well what a difference the G force was pushing me into the seat LOL The slug was now a LE MONS and the gearbox changed smooth as silk. Thanks George

waynepoon
27th September 2008, 02:39 AM
Hi guys
Could anyone tell me the nonocom unit,is it only can use window XP or can I use my window(vista) ? many thanks

Quarks
27th September 2008, 05:48 AM
Hi guys
Could anyone tell me the nonocom unit,is it only can use window XP or can I use my window(vista) ? many thanks
G'day,

According to the Nanocom website (http://web.nanocom.it/nanocom_i.cfm?articolo=414) it will work with both XP and vista.:)
I'm pretty sure that if it's on the website, it would have been tested by the nanocom guys, as they appear to give pretty good service and not be too misleading.;)

:)
Geoff