PDA

View Full Version : DP Chips? Yes or No?

disco3leigh
3rd July 2008, 05:25 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum, new to Land rover and new to technology, I have just purchased a 2005 Disco3 TDV6 and was thinking about installing a DP Chip to increase torque and fuel efficiency, ha anyone done this and was it successful?

isuzurover
3rd July 2008, 05:55 PM
Best post in the disco forum. This forum is for Series 3 land rovers - built from 1971-1984.

weeds
3rd July 2008, 06:20 PM
welcome aboard mate.......

not quite the right section but hang around long enough and we will bring you up to speed on landies, one of the mods may move your thread to the D3 area

cannot help you with a D3 however i have driven a D2 with a DP chip, the reckons it wa great as he could choose the settings depending on his needs

CaverD3
3rd July 2008, 07:43 PM
There has been a lot of discussion on disco3.co.uk about boxes and the consensus appears to be that a re-map is better as the box only overfuels but the re-maps work with bith timing and fuel pressure. With older engines they work fine but engines like the TDV6 you can get much better results with a re-map.

gghaggis
4th July 2008, 10:17 AM
With current technology, the re-flash method (ie they "remap" the program that resides in your car's ECU) is better than the plug-in boxes. There's no theoretical reason why a box needs to be inferior, it's simply a lot cheaper (and easier) to vary 30 ~ 100 parameters in software, than to re-fabricate I/O and dedicated circuits in a plug-in box.

Because of that, you'll likely find that there is a greater difference in the performance of various plug-in boxes, than there is with remaps, so there is the possibility of getting some really crappy box designs :(

However, you might find it difficult to find someone in the North West that can remap the car, so I can understand the attraction of a plug-in box. I exchanged quite a few emails with a Queensland mob who were distributing the DP box, they seemed fairly knowledgeable about the product.

Alternatively, next time you're in Perth, Southern's can organise a remap for you - takes about 3 days, and you get a warranty. Barbagallo's probably do something similar.

Cheers,

Gordon

disco3leigh
5th July 2008, 07:28 PM
That’s for that information Gordon, very helpful of you, I am very happy with the overall performance of the TDV6 but non Land Rover people were in my ear that the Landy was not set up correctly for the North West, I think I will just put some Hiclones in for now and see how it performs.

Cheers.

Desert Traveller
8th July 2008, 06:07 PM
Do waste your time with Hiclones. They don't work. There have been a number tests done. Why they appear to work is that when they are installed people usually also "tune" the vehicle at the same time.