PDA

View Full Version : Wheel sensor replacement cost?

ariddell
8th July 2008, 04:32 PM
Guys,
How much should i be looking at to have a wheel sensor replaced to cure my current ABS/TC/HDC warning lights being on?

Had the codes cleared earlier and the warning lights came straight back on. All related to the front right hand wheel sensor apparently.

Just looking for a rough idea of what it should realistically be to replace the sensor if needed so i can budget.

Thanks

Al

p38arover
8th July 2008, 06:15 PM
Expensive bloody things on the D2.

Baffle
8th July 2008, 06:24 PM
I was told they were 400, thats just to buy, not fitted

Bundalene
8th July 2008, 07:03 PM
Have you checked the plug?
It is really sad how one can be held to ransom over the price of such an item. Similar inductive proximities have been used in industry for years and most are a fraction of the cost. Having said that I don't know of any direct replacement. Cheers, Bundalene.

ariddell
8th July 2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks, much appeciated.

Will have a check of the plug and hopefully it's just a connection issue rather than the sensor itself.

JohnE
8th July 2008, 11:03 PM
the easiest way to check them( it worked for me) disconnect it, at the point high up on the inner guard and connect the multi meter and jiggle the wire about, if you get a reading of 0 before you jiggle then after you juiggle the wire it gives a reading of 1000 ohm or lower, the wire has a break in it somewhere( on mine its aprox 8" inches up from the sensor)

i hope this helps

john

ariddell
9th July 2008, 07:36 AM
Great, thanks for that - will give it a go when it's light and i can see what i'm up to.

Cheers

Al

Scouse
9th July 2008, 07:50 AM
There have been quite a few cases of wiring problems with the ABS sensors. LR issued a bulletin detailing the fitment of an overlay harness from the sensor to the SLABS ECU to bypass the problem section.
Follow JohnE's checks before condemming the sensor.

I know someone at Emu Plains who has a couple of good sensors just lying around......not sure if they're front or rears.
:D

ariddell
17th July 2008, 08:56 PM
Got this sorted today, it was indeed the sensor that was gone, wiring seemed fine and the resistance was as expected but just not for functioning - paid $140 inc fitting and having the code cleared to have it swapped over with a second hand replacement.

I see the passanger side one has been replaced at some point with the LR updated style wiring that runs all the way back to the SLABS module.

3 Amigos currently banished but i'm sure they'll be back at some point no doubt.

Grumndriva
18th July 2008, 06:47 AM
I had to replace my RH front sensor:cost about $700 new with fitting. 50,000 km later I have not seen the three amigos again. Fingers still crossed though!

Cheers,

Terry

catch-22
30th July 2008, 11:36 AM
Heya Scouse,

Does the wiring recall apply to an '03 D2 Td5? I have mine going into Parra workshop for diagnosis for ABS/TC/Hand Brake light coming on - a slight variation to the 3 amigos.

Cheers
Caine

p38arover
30th July 2008, 01:18 PM
I know someone at Emu Plains who has a couple of good sensors just lying around......not sure if they're front or rears.
:D

Who? :angel:

I was wondering about those. ;)